Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Mestis isn't a very good league. It's like semi-pro. Most of the guys there aren't full-time hockey players. Aaltonen is still very young, but any prospect worth his salt should be able to play well there. He had PP1 time and played 15 minutes. He'll be a featured player in Mestis whereas he was on the fourth line in Liiga playing 5-7 minutes most nights.

I mean yeah, it's definitely lower quality play, but you'd have to think if guys like Reunanen are super superior in that league and then come to Liiga and continues domination (albeit in play, not necessarily scoring), you'd think that Aaltonen would do the same.

It is also one game and both Tarmo and Leevi are completely different players (even at two different positions). But he's a kid who's incredibly fast and scored just as well in prospect development camps. Just hasn't seemed to make it in any sort of offensive role with KalPa. I'm wondering if we're seeing a situation that the aforementioned Tarmo had with TPS. Would like to see what Aaltonen can do with a different team after this year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's anecdotal, but his speed is too much of an asset at that level, IMO. In lower levels. players can use their one or two really elite skills to mask their deficiencies. When level of play goes up and the players you're up against are all "good" skaters, your elite skating alone won't make up for the weak areas of your game.

I admit to not having watched Aaltonen outside twitter gifs, but I would suspect he hasn't "figured out" how to play an effective game against men who are bigger, stronger, and more well-rounded players who can take steps to neutralize his speed. You see kids all the time who struggle to make the jump to pro hockey from juniors. Sometimes, they eventually figure it out. I would suspect something similar is going on with Aaltonen.

That could be the case, as well. But it could be because he's not getting a fair shake at the opportunity. It's all speculation, ATM. I definitely don't want to say he just hasn't developed those parts yet until he's given the opportunity to prove that. Playing the 4th line isn't going to provide much. Again, I would like to see him in a better position to succeed before making judgments on his offensive game.

Most were writing Tarmo off after continuously not playing meaningful hockey with TPS. Then he moved to Lukko and the rest is history. We'll see.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean yeah, it's definitely lower quality play, but you'd have to think if guys like Reunanen are super superior in that league and then come to Liiga and continues domination (albeit in play, not necessarily scoring), you'd think that Aaltonen would do the same.

It is also one game and both Tarmo and Leevi are completely different players (even at two different positions). But he's a kid who's incredibly fast and scored just as well in prospect development camps. Just hasn't seemed to make it in any sort of offensive role with KalPa. I'm wondering if we're seeing a situation that the aforementioned Tarmo had with TPS. Would like to see what Aaltonen can do with a different team after this year.
Eh, I don't know. Some guys dominate juniors and then play really well when they turn pro. Others dominate juniors and then suck when they turn pro. Some guys just don't have that extra gear required to make it. Same holds true for guys moving up (or down) in Europe. Some guys can kill it in Allsvenskan but can't cut it in the SHL.

Jury is still out on Aaltonen, for sure. When Tarmo was 19 he played for two Liiga teams, his J20 team, and also a couple games with a Mestis team. His path is not common, though. Aaltonen was getting less TOI this year than last. Not a good progression to this point. I mean he's a fifth rounder, kind of to be expected. Hopefully he has a Reunanen like development path, but I'm not optimistic.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

tenor.gif

Reactions: B17 Apricots

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Assist for Aaltonen.

Nothing for Hajek.

Nothing for Tarmo. He finished even, which is impressive considering his team lost 7-2.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Assist for Aaltonen.

Nothing for Hajek.

Nothing for Tarmo. He finished even, which is impressive considering his team lost 7-2.

Ragnarsson's game was postponed

Tärnström is finishing his last day of home quarantine and joins AIK for practice tomorrow.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
have any lines been posted for team canada's training camp? specifically who schneider and robertson are playing with?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Almost certainly won't stream for US viewers without a VPN or something. Might be a go for international viewers. I'm sure other places will carry the streams as well.

Reactions: Leetch3

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Eh, I don't know. Some guys dominate juniors and then play really well when they turn pro. Others dominate juniors and then suck when they turn pro. Some guys just don't have that extra gear required to make it. Same holds true for guys moving up (or down) in Europe. Some guys can kill it in Allsvenskan but can't cut it in the SHL.

Jury is still out on Aaltonen, for sure. When Tarmo was 19 he played for two Liiga teams, his J20 team, and also a couple games with a Mestis team. His path is not common, though. Aaltonen was getting less TOI this year than last. Not a good progression to this point. I mean he's a fifth rounder, kind of to be expected. Hopefully he has a Reunanen like development path, but I'm not optimistic.

I get that, just think the jury is still out for him. He's still 19, but just feel moving to a new team might benefit him. Like I said before, he looked good at prospect camp in the summer of '19.

But like you said, I'm not going to lose sleep over a 5th rounder not making it big...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad