Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers played fine. The Preds barely had any scoring chances and I don't know if you'd count the Fiend's goal as a quality chance.

Two recent games where goaltending cost them at least two points.

Giveth more than taketh away, of course. But the two goals scored by Pacioretty and Ribiero are inexcusable considering how late they were scored and where they were scored from.

Whatever. Talbot better make up for this.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Would love to know why Mueller isn't up. He can do so much more than Glass. He plays center too, no? Can definitely kill penalties well and can skate. Don't understand why he's in Hartford when he has 1 more point than Glass in 31 less games played. Lundqvist has the same amount of points as Glass. I know he wasn't signed for points, but he's played 38 games and has 1 point and we played our best stretch of hockey almost entirely with him out of the lineup. This is unreal.

Marty has to go after this season unless he wakes up and has a great playoffs AND takes a pay cut to stay. Done with him. Tired of him not trying on defense and making lazy plays and avoiding contact at all costs.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Stepan out, Fast out, game tomorrow. The sheer volume of times Glass is brought up as a major touchstone of a loss is what's ridiculous.

I think you are being awfully kind to Miller and Talbot.

They're not playing arguably the best team in the league tomorrow and they'll start with 12 forwards so hopefully that'll be a difference.

I have absolutely nothing to say about glass anymore. It you watch him play and look at every possible statistic you see that he is the absolute worst skater on this time by a huge margin. He's arguably the worst offensive player in the league and he got extra minutes while the team was down. That played a part in this loss and it was totally preventable.

I think we're watching different players when we talk about miller.

And talbot got beat on serious chances during breakdowns. I'm not sure Hank or anyone else would have had two of those at least.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Fast goes down with an injury.

AV moves Glass up to the 3rd line. WTF AV? This isn't even funny anymore. Miller and Stemp are both > Glass. Even as a banger, Miller seems to hit harder and more effectively than Glass.

He did not deserve to be on the 3rd line and guess what? Go watch his "backcheck" on the GWG. Miller would be sent to AHL if he did that.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Something to keep in mind: the Preds have lost 3 regulation and 1 OT game at home all year. They're an underwhelming 4 above .500 on the road, but have beaten almost every good team in the league in Nashville.

I absolutely LOVE Brassard, but he's got to take a one-timer off that Zucc pass with less than 2 minutes left. Giving Rinne an extra second to slide over is almost asking for a save. Didn't look like the puck bobbled or anything.

We almost certainly get at least a point out of the game with Henrik. The timing couldn't be worse. He looked so angry after the Pacioretty abomination, it really felt like he was going into unbeatable mode. He played like it against Carolina and despite the goals by Florida, basically dragged the team forward until they showed up in the third.

Just have to play .500 hockey until Henrik comes back in March. Talbot is capable of it. This felt like the loss in Detroit, no points in a well played game due to a late 3rd period goal. Cam's rebounded well after losses this year. He's a fighter, they should be fine for a month.

Glass needs to be waived at the deadline, after Sather picks up a rental or two. This is one loss he had no direct bearing on and was needed in the line-up, but that isn't the issue. AV simply can't be trusted to treat him like a 13th forward. He had no business playing against Carolina and Florida, none whatsoever. Hard to imagine, but Carcillo is the biggest loss this team suffered in the off-season.

Oh and MSL needs to show up. He's playing his way out of NY right now. He might not be capable of more at this point, but if that's the case, he won't be any better next year. Sather overpayed, but no point in compounding the mistake. Hags and Zucc mean more to the team so far this season.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I genuinely have no issue with Glass' "lazy" backcheck. The play was ahead of him so he'd have no chance to actually get ahead of the puck, there were 3 Rangers players infront of him who all had their man. It makes more sense to not dive into a play you will be late to anyway, and rather try to pick up any player that might come storming in on a rebound.

He didn't stop skating until it was evident he wouldn't get ahead so what is the problem exactly

Glass' contributions offensively however, my god

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To say Nashville had no other great chances apart from the goal is wrong. Both Smith and Forsberg were stopped point blank by Talbot on bang-bang plays. Forsberg shot another one off the post and then there was the play where Klein cleared the puck off the goal line.

To go back to Glass--I don't really think that Bleed Ranger Blue is defending his being in the lineup. For me what he's saying is that when a play or a game goes wrong it's not always Glass's fault. And that concept doesn't seem reachable in some quarters and it seems to me (and maybe even to him) that if a mob were needed to conduct a witch hunt or a lynching some actors might be found on this very same forum. It gets old hearing people just rag on the same targets over and over again not just because of the **** they do wrong but even more so for the **** they don't do.

Glass did not misplay the Ribeiro goal. 98 times out of 100 Girardi makes that block and the shot doesn't get through. Obvious to me that Talbot didn't see it--making it a lot more difficult for him to make the save. Again (to me) the real let down was towards the end of the second period. That's when we started chasing the game. The same happened the last game against Boston--2 really quick goals but we were able to recover. A pretty good effort went to waste today--you're not going to be able to recover every time--not against good teams anyway.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
To say Nashville had no other great chances apart from the goal is wrong. Both Smith and Forsberg were stopped point blank by Talbot on bang-bang plays. Forsberg shot another one off the post and then there was the play where Klein cleared the puck off the goal line.

To go back to Glass--I don't really think that Bleed Ranger Blue is defending his being in the lineup. For me what he's saying is that when a play or a game goes wrong it's not always Glass's fault. And that concept doesn't seem reachable in some quarters and it seems to me (and maybe even to him) that if a mob were needed to conduct a witch hunt or a lynching some actors might be found on this very same forum. It gets old hearing people just rag on the same targets over and over again not just because of the **** they do wrong but even more so for the **** they don't do.

Glass did not misplay the Ribeiro goal. 98 times out of 100 Girardi makes that block and the shot doesn't get through. Obvious to me that Talbot didn't see it--making it a lot more difficult for him to make the save. Again (to me) the real let down was towards the end of the second period. That's when we started chasing the game. The same happened the last game against Boston--2 really quick goals but we were able to recover. A pretty good effort went to waste today--you're not going to be able to recover every time--not against good teams anyway.

Is it really so outlandish to think it was a crucial mistake to give extra minutes to Glass of all people in a game where they're trailing during the third?

He's among the least likely to score in the league. Easily the least likely to score on the team by any metric.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I think Glass sucks. He absolutely sucks. But when a lot of other people suck, Im more interested in them than a guy fighting for the 12th forward spot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, as I mentioned before, of course I was wrong about Stepan having to man up. I was also wrong about the team looking like **** automatically without him. Despite my negative posts, I'm more proud of this game than some of the wins we've had.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
...To go back to Glass--I don't really think that Bleed Ranger Blue is defending his being in the lineup. For me what he's saying is that when a play or a game goes wrong it's not always Glass's fault. And that concept doesn't seem reachable in some quarters and it seems to me (and maybe even to him) that if a mob were needed to conduct a witch hunt or a lynching some actors might be found on this very same forum. It gets old hearing people just rag on the same targets over and over again not just because of the **** they do wrong but even more so for the **** they don't do...

I agree. Glass didn't make any glaring errors today. He didn't contribute anything offensively, but he didn't hurt the team directly. It was actually a decent game by his standards.

To me and may be some others here, Glass isn't the real issue here. It's his use by our coach that is the problem. I could grit my teeth and live with Glass if AV used him as a 13th/14th forward. Insert him only against teams like Isles or Boston. Instead he's an everyday player to Vigneault, when he's little better than a John Scott with skating ability. It's unacceptable for a team with high aspirations.

I remember endless complaints on this board about Colton Orr, but to me even he was a better player in NY than Glass. Orr didn't break up our momentum on the cycle like Glass and his defensive misplays weren't as frequent. Most importantly, AV wouldn't be using a guy with Orr's lack of speed on an every game basis. Glass' cap hit makes his play even more ridiculous.

The main issue though is Vigneault's misuse of the player. Sather has to save AV from himself and find a way to dump Glass.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hard to swallow because this is the first time in months we didn't just suck in a loss. We legitimately played really well and lost.

The fact that it's been that long is a positive in itself.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its a frustrating loss because we outplayed and we got lazy under two minutes to go and gave up two in the second. Very frustrating.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oh I'd be scratching Glass pretty regular--at least if we had a healthy lineup. He's not accomplished very much for us and he's not always that good even defensively. Still we lose most of our games not because of him but because sometimes we don't always play that well--sometimes we play well but the other team plays better. Sometimes it's a bad bounce--a bad penalty--or bad goaltending that contributes as much to a loss as anything else.

In any case I think it's a little bit nutty that some people have such animosity towards him. He's a hockey player--maybe not a very good one but he's not putting himself into the lineup--his coach is. And frankly I don't think Stempniak's carrying his weight very well either.

...and really I wished we could just get rid of this guy though I suspect we would need someone new then to pick apart.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's not about losing because of Glass solely, but him being in the lineup hurts every other line also. There's less offensive zone starts for our big guns because the coach can't trust Glass to be put out for a defensive zone draw. There's the fact that our fourth line went from a big time shutdown line who started 80% of their shifts in the defensive zone and did a great job defensively with those minutes to being a line that is a liability. There's the fact that in the third period of a close game we become a three line team. Add that in to the fact that Glass is probably the worst player in hockey and it all adds up to a problem.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The biggest positive is that McDonagh was brilliant today. If we get that, we're gonna be just fine.

It's disappointing, but at the end of the day we marched in against a phenomenal team and gave them everything they could handle.

Any Nashville fan,will have walked out of their building muttering to themselves; "wow, the Rangers are a very good team", "we were fortunate to win tonight".

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Micheletti is a dumb homer. Quotin him doesn't help you.

You sound like you don't know the difference between square to the shooter and challenging a shooter.

Two different things.

Talbot was square. Never challenged any shot.

That's why they lost.

Valiquette said it too, but yeah don't mind him. He's a homer for MSG and would never understand anything about goaltending.

Also, don't mind Talbot saying he was screened either, he's obviously just a liar who is looking for an excuse because he should be expected to stop a bomb that he can't see.

Oh and put aside Girardi apologizing for the screen, and not blocking it. Obviously lying to protect his teammate for such a soft, soft goal.

:help::shakehead

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Reading the Preds' board they seem to think we outplayed them or at the very least it was tough game. Glad to get respect from another board when they win.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Hagelin must have to eat like 4000 calories a day to maintain his weight. He literally plays chase the entire game. He's approaching Darrell Powe territory of just being an extra body, few negatives but few positives.

MSL is just not a competent even strength player at this stage. He's a disaster out there.

3 goals against on what the experts are calling a "slapshot". Anyone heard of this funky gizmo before? I haven't seen one of our guys use one of these thingamajigs.

Rangers played a crap first period but tightened up a bit after that. Very winnable game, and frustrating to see it end that way. Seth Jones had a hell of a night.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hagelin must have to eat like 4000 calories a day to maintain his weight. He literally plays chase the entire game. He's approaching Darrell Powe territory of just being an extra body, few negatives but few positives.

MSL is just not a competent even strength player at this stage. He's a disaster out there.

3 goals against on what the experts are calling a "slapshot". Anyone heard of this funky gizmo before? I haven't seen one of our guys use one of these thingamajigs.

Rangers played a crap first period but tightened up a bit after that. Very winnable game, and frustrating to see it end that way. Seth Jones had a hell of a night.

Wow, seems like everyone on the team sucked but somehow it was winnable game against one of the league's best. Oh and Seth Jones is a monster. I think it's interesting that an NBA player's son is going to likely be a star hockey player. How is Seth Jones so "short" compared to daddy though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad