Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

He sure didn't contribute anything positive.

M1l0pR2.gif

This is a repeat of the Ovechkin controller disconnected goal.

Vidic15*

Yea, I'm not a Tanner Glass fan, but there is actually a justification for him doing what he did there. It was a 3-on-3, and each NYR back had their man. You can see him check over his shoulder for a trailer. I'd much rather have him hang back to cover a 4th man coming late than double team a guy and let a trailer have an open look.

Edit: 100gs beat me to it.

Thank you. Someone who understands hockey.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
OK, maybe Ill find someone that can have an adult conversation about the game.

What's the conversation to have? We lost. Rangers played well for most of the game except the end of the 2nd period, without Stepan.

Glass in the lineup is an easily fixable mistake that makes our 4th line (and thus, entire bottom six) significantly better and AV refuses to do it.

Go have an adult conversation with whoever you want. Here's a topic you might want to discuss: our coach constantly handicapping his team.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Team didnt lose today because Tanner Glass was in the lineup, FYI.

No, but it didn't help. His terrible possession stats mean that whatever amount of time he's on the ice is spent on chasing the opposition. His abysmal defensive effort on the third goal speaks for itself. Whatever line he's on turns into a black hole offensively and a turnstile defensively. There is literally nothing positive to Tanner Glass.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Glass is ****ing garbage but he kinda did the right thing there in waiting for a Nashville Dman to join the rush, you see him turn his head to look for the late man. If theres any criticism to draw on that goal, it's Girardi's terrible gap control and him further screening Cam with the missed block so far away from MR.

He didn't even flinch when Ribeiro broke away with the puck. He stood and stared the whole time. Maybe he did wait for a trailer, but when it was clear that Nashville were in the middle of a play, he gave the three defenders no support.

I don't know. To me, there was clearly a play developing, and Glass should've gone down for puck support.

And I have much more of a problem with Girardi letting Jones walk in untouched than his gap control on Ribeiro.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Glass shouldn't be playing. Period. This isn't even a discussion anymore. There is not one positive aspect he brings to this team outside of being a nice guy. The eye test and stats prove in every single category that he's below replacement level in the NHL. He brings down the team when he's on the ice no matter who he plays with. Is he directly at fault for the loss? No but that's because I don't think anyone is at direct fault for a loss unless you go full Kostka and practically hand teams goals like he did v. the Islanders. Glass when he's in the lineup makes the Rangers a 3 line team and that in itself has a rippling effect. There's other issues too obviously but this is the most obvious and easily fixable.

That out of the way, I thought the Rangers played a pretty solid game all things considering. Missing their top center and top goaltender and could have easily pulled out the W against the leagues best home team. I don't think Cam was at fault for either of the goals either. First two were excellent shots coming off breakdowns and at first glance he should have had the third but it was clear he didn't see it and he said as such in the post game. I thought Girardi played the shot right but just flat out missed the block. It happens.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Fast has a sprained knee. I really hope Lindberg gets called up and gets a taste

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was a three on three. You don't want all your forwards crashing back towards the net unless there's a scramble in front or the puck gets into the slot between the two circles. If that doesn't happen--which it didn't--you want two of your forwards to stay up high to keep track of trailers--it also helps being spread out enough to give your D options in case they get the puck back.

Glass did not do anything particularly wrong on that back check. Neither did Girardi who typically blocks that shot many many times a year. Ribeiro got it by him or through him--it was a great play by Ribeiro--sometimes it's okay to give an opposing player credit for making a great play.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I hear posters complain all the time about the lazy flailing stick checks the NYR D do a lot when they're not playing well. That's Girardi's primary method of defending, and nobody every discusses it. Why might that be, anyway?

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Sammy Rosen screwed us up!

"...the defense has been playing well the past couple games, Talbot played good last night and he looks good tonight..."

10 seconds later, scramble out in front and Josi scores, then less than 2 minutes later Weber scores, 2-1 Preds

No, but it was a good game and as a couple of other people on here said I think if we had our full team we would have won, although Talbot did make some great saves, but Step with 34 pts in 36 gms was a big loss.

Well on to Dallas tomorrow, hoping Step returns

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
I hear posters complain all the time about the lazy flailing stick checks the NYR D do a lot when they're not playing well. That's Girardi's primary method of defending, and nobody every discusses it. Why might that be, anyway?

Every time I see a NYR dman wave his stick instead of playing the man, a kitten dies.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
It was a three on three. You don't want all your forwards crashing back towards the net unless there's a scramble in front or the puck gets into the slot between the two circles. If that doesn't happen--which it didn't--you want two of your forwards to stay up high to keep track of trailers--it also helps being spread out enough to give your D options in case they get the puck back.

The problem I have with this is the defending forward (Hagelin) wasn't covering anybody. It was a 3 on 3 in there were 3 attackers and 3 defenders, but Hagelin was doing **** all in the neutral zone not covering anyone. It wasn't like he just slid away from his assignment either, he covered no one as the entire play developed. It would've been the right play for Glass to come down and try to hinder Ribeiro, since it was clear as day no one else would've caught him. It was also clear as day Ribeiro was uncovered, Glass should've checked him. But.....Hagelin made the 1st mistake, Glass just didn't do anything to make it better.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Bright side? We skated with the best for 60 minutes, at points outplaying them, without Lundqvist and Stepan.

Reality: We just gave away two points we need.

I know it's Weber. I know he probably dialed that up to triple digit mph, but Talbot needs to get that one. You don't get beat far-post from the top of the circle when you SHOULD have seen the puck the whole way. Especially from a right handed shot coming from the right side (goalie left). Puck whizzes past his body.

Those are the goals we're going to have to live with for the next month. Rangers probably gave Nashville 4 A+ opportunities and they cashed on 3 of them.

Let's see how Talbot bounces back tomorrow in what is sure to be a track-meet game against a high scoring Dallas team.

Can't believe how stuck with Glass we are.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

An absolutely ridiculous post. Girardi lays his body on the line hundreds of times every year. He throws more hits and blocks more shots than any other Ranger player consistently year to year. You might not like the way he plays and that's fine but to make out that he's lazy and doesn't take the body--lets his stick do all the work is a bunch of *********.

By the way the last game he crunched Marchand and this game he crunched a much bigger Colin Wilson and put him out of the game.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
An absolutely ridiculous post. Girardi lays his body on the line hundreds of times every year. He throws more hits and blocks more shots than any other Rangers consistently year to year. You might not like the way he plays and that's fine but to make out that he's lazy and doesn't take the body--lets his stick do all the work is a bunch of *********.

By the way the last game he crunched Marchand and this game he crunched a much bigger Colin Wilson and put him out of the game.

Okay? What does any of this have to do with anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad