Larry Brooks: Rangers must target Ilya Kovalchuk

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I read this in Susie from Curb Your Enthusiasm voice. Just saying.

Larry just prepping the battlefield. Ilya will be a Ranger next year.
This is probably the number 1 show I forget that I want to watch.

It comes up, I say to myself "OH Yea! Gotta watch that!" Then I forget until the next time someone brings it up. So one day I'll get this reference. Today is not that day

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
like many have said in this thread if kovy wants to accept a two year deal im ALL for it, it makes too much sense for a team with multiple young russian players and prospects

kovalchuk isnt the cancer that most on here believe he is

Reactions: egelband

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think Zucc potentially gets you a pick in the early 20s and a solid, though not spectacular prospect. Though I don't know if the pick is in 2018.

I'm also one of those people who would not rule out the team moving one of either Kreider or Hayes.

I'm in agreement with McKenzie, I think this team has two or three potential deals immediately on the table once they're open to negotiate again.

On that subject, I’m wondering if Hayes is the player they address first, since he’s an RFA this summer. If they determine they don’t want to pay him long term, then I could see him in a draft day deal.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
On that subject, I’m wondering if Hayes is the player they address first, since he’s an RFA this summer. If they determine they don’t want to pay him long term, then I could see him in a draft day deal.

I think he's the only one who gets a 5-6 year deal.

Spooner gets a 3-4 year deal at max

Namestnikov gets a 1 year bridge

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think he's the only one who gets a 5-6 year deal.

Spooner gets a 3-4 year deal at max

Namestnikov gets a 1 year bridge

Frankly, I hope not. I don’t think he warrants that kind of investment. I’m betting the Rangers aren’t either.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

That’s not happening here in the next few seasons.

Yes, all this, it take time for a rebuild and I knew HF is not too patience about it concerning the process. We`ve big holes in the lineup even with IIya, we need a top 4 defender prospect + a top sniper prospect, and an elite talent in any position would be huge too.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think Zucc potentially gets you a pick in the early 20s and a solid, though not spectacular prospect. Though I don't know if the pick is in 2018.

I'm also one of those people who would not rule out the team moving one of either Kreider or Hayes.

I'm in agreement with McKenzie, I think this team has two or three potential deals immediately on the table once they're open to negotiate again.

Let's say they do trade Zucc for 20, that is a pre draft ranked prospect that is like 4th or 5th tier.

Now let's keep going with that line of thinking, if it's Hayes or Kreider or pretty much anyone they are not likely getting top 3, maybe not even top 5 or 6.

So what is the overall level of team they would be building? Without them really hitting on picks who burst through and develop far above their pre draft rankings, are they still not going to be ending up with the usually stuff teams get from those 3rd tier picks, which may include guys like Hayes/Kreider but also guys who bust?

I do not fear them not competing, I fear they are building something that can compete just fine in the regular season, maybe even win a round or two eventually but not something that is going to match-up well against the future Tampa, Pitt, Kings, whoever that may be who has those top tier guys plus many 2nd/3rd tier guys.

Rebuilding without getting those top picks is going to come down to scouting, management and luck. If any of that is off even a little I think the team ends up with the same level of players it traded away, maybe not even that.

I like them rebuilding as I feel they needed to, but I liked it a lot better when top picks were somewhat likely, them drafting 8th-10th and adding some later 1sts and whatnot is good for their depth, maybe even good for their 2nd line or 2nd pair, they may get lucky there, but I am concerned about the top line and top pair being garnered through the draft if things shake out as one should normally expect from those draft spots.

None of that has to do with Kovalchuk, but in a way adding him is going to make even more likely they are not at the top of the draft next year either, and then same as this draft, if they are even a lottery team then it's all back to if everything comes up Milhouse or if they get the Dud.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, we just end mid table with IIya - let him win a cup elsewhere, L. Brooks have no ideas how to rebuild properly since he is not a GM. And it`s my reasoning we need to move 2nd & 3rd line players for the future to make sure we pick in the 1st -5th range next year draft in 2019. We don`t have many 1st liners at the moment due to lack of talents compare to other top NHL teams who will be in this year edition playoffs: Pens, Caps, Boston, Leafs, Nashville, Jets, & Tampa Bay to mention a few teams.

In 3-4 years hopefully we have some elite talents on our roster and someone to build around to win that Stanley cup, and it`s essential since the other top NHL teams have already elite talents.

Last edited:

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s the same with Zucc either he is part of the rebuild or he is moved to win a cup and compete for a cup elsewhere, no exceptions. Because Ryan Mc. was an elite defender at least for some seasons, and we can`t turn in the middle of the rebuild process here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Let's say they do trade Zucc for 20, that is a pre draft ranked prospect that is like 4th or 5th tier.

Now let's keep going with that line of thinking, if it's Hayes or Kreider or pretty much anyone they are not likely getting top 3, maybe not even top 5 or 6.

So what is the overall level of team they would be building? Without them really hitting on picks who burst through and develop far above their pre draft rankings, are they still not going to be ending up with the usually stuff teams get from those 3rd tier picks, which may include guys like Hayes/Kreider but also guys who bust?

I do not fear them not competing, I fear they are building something that can compete just fine in the regular season, maybe even win a round or two eventually but not something that is going to match-up well against the future Tampa, Pitt, Kings, whoever that may be who has those top tier guys plus many 2nd/3rd tier guys.

Rebuilding without getting those top picks is going to come down to scouting, management and luck. If any of that is off even a little I think the team ends up with the same level of players it traded away, maybe not even that.

I like them rebuilding as I feel they needed to, but I liked it a lot better when top picks were somewhat likely, them drafting 8th-10th and adding some later 1sts and whatnot is good for their depth, maybe even good for their 2nd line or 2nd pair, they may get lucky there, but I am concerned about the top line and top pair being garnered through the draft if things shake out as one should normally expect from those draft spots.

None of that has to do with Kovalchuk, but in a way adding him is going to make even more likely they are not at the top of the draft next year either, and then same as this draft, if they are even a lottery team then it's all back to if everything comes up Milhouse or if they get the Dud.

In the case of Zucc, my guess is they would look to trade up to have higher picks, or package picks to get younger NHL-level players.

I would be surprised if they end up using all 3 of their firsts. If they ended up with a fourth, I couldn't see them using all four either.

In the case of Kreider/Hayes, I think they'd be looking at younger talent as the focus, as opposed to picks.

Again, the latter assuming they look to move those guys. I think Zucc is a far more likely move.

Reactions: Ori

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In the case of Zucc, my guess is they would look to trade up to have higher picks, or package picks to get younger NHL-level players.

I would be surprised if they end up using all 3 of their firsts. If they ended up with a fourth, I couldn't see them using all four either.

In the case of Kreider/Hayes, I think they'd be looking at younger talent as the focus, as opposed to picks.

Again, the latter assuming they look to move those guys. I think Zucc is a far more likely move.

I have often thought, if the Rangers traded Zuccarello and say for arguments sake, received Dallas' 1st '19 + Gurianov, could they not turn around and trade that DAL 1st, or their latest 1st rounder (say that is TB's) to Montreal in return for Galchenyuk? So basically:

Rangers have:
NYR 1st
BOS 1st
TB 1st

Trade:
Zuccarello to Dallas for DAL 1st + Gurianov

Trade:
TB 1st for Galchenyuk

Reactions: Ori

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I can see JVR signing a home-town discount a la Shattenkirk. If you got reckless with the cap, you could replace Andersson with Tavares and then the lineup gets super ridiculous super quick. The defense still leaves a lot to be desired.

Kreider-Zibs-Chytil
Kovy-Names-Buch
JVR-Andersson-Zucc
Spooner-Hayes-Fast

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-Pionk
Gilmour-ADA
Smith?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have often thought, if the Rangers traded Zuccarello and say for arguments sake, received Dallas' 1st '19 + Gurianov, could they not turn around and trade that DAL 1st, or their latest 1st rounder (say that is TB's) to Montreal in return for Galchenyuk? So basically:

Rangers have:
NYR 1st
BOS 1st
TB 1st

Trade:
Zuccarello to Dallas for DAL 1st + Gurianov

Trade:
TB 1st for Galchenyuk

In theory, yes, it could be something like that.

Not saying Galchenyuk would be the player I make that kind of move for, but yes, a scenario like that is quite possible.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

So you believe they can make some sort of package to get in top 3? Or 5? etc

Maybe I am pessimistic but I just don't see it going like that. They may be able to move up a little by combining pick(s) or putting a player with them but I really think those teams who hold the picks that can get the Rangers pre-draft ranked top ceiling prospects are going to use them and I think that extends past #9 or so where they are already later tier.

I know all the teams will have somewhat different rankings but for the most part I think they will have a similar amount of players in similar tiers until the 10-12-15th or so pick even if they are in different orders.

Don't take me wrongly, I like they have a chance to do really well, I just think it's going to be based on scouting/management interpreting scouting/luck rather than them skillfully being able to move up and draft more of a sure thing player.

Edit: no need to reply I caught your similar reply in the other thread

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I will never forgive Naslund or Klein for abandoning us. Oh wait, changing your mind is permissible if you're no longer good.

Yeah, because Naslund and Klein were the centerpiece of the organization that you build your team around.

Oh. Wait.

He screwed the Devils something awful. "Retire" to go PLAY in the KHL. Get out of here.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I will never forgive Naslund or Klein for abandoning us. Oh wait, changing your mind is permissible if you're no longer good.

They weren't franchise caliber players for this team. Was Kovalchuk ever not good though? In his last NHL season, he had 31 points in 37 games. The guy signed a 17 year deal and left to another league for the last 5 years. He's cancer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They weren't franchise caliber players for this team. Was Kovalchuk ever not good though? In his last NHL season, he had 31 points in 37 games. The guy signed a 17 year deal and left to another league for the last 5 years. He's cancer.

That is exactly his point. Everyone makes a big deal out of this because it was a good player retiring and going to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad