Larry Brooks: Rangers must target Ilya Kovalchuk

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
for me, it's a matter of what line he gets put on. I'd rather him play bottom 6 with exclusive PP minutes.

I just don't see where he fits. he can definitely help, but I really can't find a spot for him to thrive in

*puts on flame-free suit* (because you can't say the proper term for some reason)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Ok Larry. I remember when you said we had to offer sheet Joe Sakic at the cost of five first rounders, had to go after Jeremy Roenick, etc. He's been talking crazy for years and none of these "must" moves ever happen. I wonder why?

Reactions: FultonReed

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
As I've said before, it all comes down to the details.

Is he willing to sign a 1- or 2-year deal with limited NTC protection at a reasonable AAV? Then, sure, I think it would be good for all the young Russians we suddenly have in the organization. He wants 3-4 years at a crazy AAV and/or with a full NMC? No way in hell.

(For the record, I do think the stuff about Kovy being a shit teammate/heartless mercenary is overblown; the Devils ownership at the time they terminated his contract was just as, or arguably more, desperate to get out of the financial commitment to him as/than he was to go home to Russia.)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I see nothing mandatory about the Rangers signing Kovalchuk. And, Larry, no one expects the Rangers to put out a lineup of all youngins. More than likely, at least Kreider, Zibanejad, Hayes, Namestnikov, Spooner, Fast and Shattenkirk will still be here...probably Staal, too, unless someone actually values him enough for Gorton to dump his contract. And Beleskey and Smith are likely going to get chances at redemption.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I see nothing mandatory about the Rangers signing Kovalchuk. And, Larry, no one expects the Rangers to put out a lineup of all youngins. More than likely, at least Kreider, Zibanejad, Hayes, Namestnikov, Spooner, Fast and Shattenkirk will still be here...probably Staal, too, unless someone actually values him enough for Gorton to dump his contract. And Beleskey and Smith are likely going to get chances at redemption.
Also, a couple of lesser name UFAs in their late 20s/early 30s.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I don't know why so many people seem to keep forgetting that this team still has a number of veterans on it, even if it's moved on from Nash, Grabner, Miller, McD and maybe Zucc this summer.

At the very least, the defense will have Staal, Skjei and Shattenkirk. Maybe, maaaaybeeee even Smith if he gets his game together.

Lundqvist is still Lundqvist in goal.

The forward ranks will likely include (some combination of) Kreider, Zibanejad, Hayes, Fast, Namestnikov, Spooner, Vesey and Zucc. While I expect one to three of those guys to potentially be moved, I don't think there will be a lack of vets.

And none of the above includes several veterans the Rangers are likely to sign and/or acquire.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If Kovy wasn't a former Devil player would Brooks be this obsessed with him becoming a Ranger?

Reactions: Ori

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Anybody think that since Lias has that special gift of making everyone around him look and play better, that he and kovy might be used together? If you’ve got kovy & Lias clicking together that would also make for quite the line.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Why are we so afraid to try and compete next year? Why does this have to be a three-year proh-cess? The rebuild can be over tomorrow if we so choose. Looking at Kovalchuk is absolutely the right decision, obviously assuming his demands for term and AAV are reasonable.

I honestly think this is Gortons grand plan. Stock the **** up now, at the draft and throughout the summer and we’ll see what happens. I am highly optimistic that this won’t be an ARI/EDM/PILES/ etc. type of situation.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Why are we so afraid to try and compete next year? Why does this have to be a three-year proh-cess? The rebuild can be over tomorrow if we so choose. Looking at Kovalchuk is absolutely the right decision, obviously assuming his demands for term and AAV are reasonable.
I'm not sure if we should sign Kovy or not but I'm all for always competing be it today, tomorrow or next year. I can not stand quitting.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm not sure it's a fear of competing, so much as a fear of having the illusion of competing.

I think people want to build it right, knowing that the depth, even after this draft, will likely not be enough for long-term success, even if almost every top prospect the Rangers have/acquire becomes an NHL'er. There are just too many holes.

So I think there's a concern that the Rangers can't help themselves if they're in a position to "compete" --- whether it be a trade, or cutting ice time for a young player, or living with their mistakes, etc. Now whether or not that would happen is unknown, but I think that's in people's heads.

I also think there's a belief, whether one agrees with it or not, that the Rangers need to get higher picks and stockpile young talent with higher percentages of being impact players. That's not to say that impact talent can't be found with lower picks, but I think people are at the point where they'd prefer to have the better odds.

As for me, I'm somewhat cautious about the first point --- the illusion of competing. This team has a lot of holes, and frankly, I don't think they're done trading veterans yet, which is likely to create more holes.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I don't know about anyone else, but I dislike it because that hypothetical team regardless of realistic adds under a salary cap is going to still likely to not be good enough to win a Cup. Mostly because they will still be lacking elite or near elite caliber skaters compared to what their likely eventual playoff opposition will have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad