Larry Brooks: Rangers must target Ilya Kovalchuk

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
lets face facts...no way on earth Kovy comes back and signs with Florida, Dallas or St.Louis....if he comes back it will be with the Rangers and only the Rangers....I think a 2 year deal might be pretty good to see what he can do

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't know about anyone else, but I dislike it because that hypothetical team regardless of realistic adds under a salary cap is going to still likely to not be good enough to win a Cup. Mostly because they will still be lacking elite or near elite caliber skaters compared to what their likely eventual playoff opposition will have.

The reality is that there's still several guys who are likely to be traded, whether we like it or not.

I think we're also being a bit overly optimistic about adding a few pieces and being competitive. There are a lot of holes in this lineup right now that will only be filled with time.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Eh I'm not in love with the idea of him coming.

"He's not who you think he is"

Did he make a scene about needing to make $100M+ on a contract and then play a fraction of it before "retiring" to the KHL?

Yes, he did. Therefore he is who I think he is, which is a guy who cares about himself and his bank account first, second and third. That's fine and anyone's right, but nobody has to like that or want that on their team. I'm not under the delusion that the rest of the roster is leaving money on the table because they love the team so much, but I don't recall any of them insisting on big round numbers for vanity and then bailing on those very same vanity deals.

If the guy takes a short reasonable deal to come here, ok. But what about his entire history as a player makes anybody think he's going to do that? He's absolutely not going to. He'll go somewhere else or we'll horribly overpay and over commit to him. He said he thinks he can play 5 more years. I sure as hell don't want NYR to be on the hook to pay him for 5 more at his age.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
wasn't Brooks complaining earlier about how going after Kovy would be dumb?

I don't think it makes the team a contender (even just for the playoffs) in any way but if they somehow end up with a lot of Russians on the team it could be good to have him as a mentor for them.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The reality is that there's still several guys who are likely to be traded, whether we like it or not.

I think we're also being a bit overly optimistic about adding a few pieces and being competitive. There are a lot of holes in this lineup right now that will only be filled with time.

That is one possible direction.

Another, they take what they have, also re-sign just about all of them who need new deals, and go shopping in UFA season. Filling some spots with a prospect here or there and they go back to renting/self renting and can kicking because that roster will likely be good enough to be a bubble wildcard team, they are almost that as is.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This would a typical lazy Ranger move that get us no closer to a cup.

Maybe, maybe not. If we are signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal with the intent of trading him at some point, I think it make sense. If we are signing him for longer than 2 years with the intent of actually competing, I think it's a mistake.

Signing free players and turning them into future assets is a smart move at this point, and Kovy will be a highly valued player at the trade deadline. I'm not sure Kovy would be on board for that, but if I'm Gorton, it's absolutely part of my thought process.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why would Kovalchuk who is rumored only to want to be a in a specific geographic location not also want, possibly require, full trade protection as well as no AHL protection in his contract?

Plus the offer is going to have to compete with whatever he could get in the KHL, with some other NHL offers should those team in that area make them, and it's a plus 35 contract where he could walk at any point and leave the cap hit behind... that all sounds like a bad idea to me unless it's a 1 year deal.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kovy is still an absolutely dominant player, one of the best leaders/lockerroom guys, especially considering all the young Russians we have. Buchnevich has all the talent in the world but you can tell he has confidence issues, I think Kovy would do wonders for his progression, and it would also sure help bring Shestyorkin & Rykov over here. Maybe even Gusev or somebody else as well

Plus Kovalchuk wants to play here badly

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kovy is still an absolutely dominant player, one of the best leaders/lockerroom guys, especially considering all the young Russians we have. Buchnevich has all the talent in the world but you can tell he has confidence issues, I think Kovy would do wonders for his progression, and it would also sure help bring Shestyorkin & Rykov over here. Maybe even Gusev or somebody else as well

Plus Kovalchuk wants to play here badly
We'll see how badly when he signs here or somewhere else and we get the numbers. I've never seen anything from him that makes me think he's going to get less than the max money offered.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That is one possible direction.

Another, they take what they have, also re-sign just about all of them who need new deals, and go shopping in UFA season. Filling some spots with a prospect here or there and they go back to renting/self renting and can kicking because that roster will likely be good enough to be a bubble wildcard team, they are almost that as is.

I just don't think they hold onto a guy like Zucc. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

As for prospects, I think some of these guys might need a little more time than we realize at the moment - namely Chytil and Andersson. They very well could make the team, but I'm cautious to not get too far down the road on that concept yet.

As for a bubble playoff team, I'm honestly not sure. There are a number of guys who I feel are playing a bit above their level at the moment, or are going to have some ups and down over the course of a full season. I'm just not sold on the idea that this time is as good as its been playing, and that's exactly the kind of situation that has bit this organization in the ass more than a few times over the years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I just don't think they hold onto a guy like Zucc. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

As for prospects, I think some of these guys might need a little more time than we realize at the moment - namely Chytil and Andersson. They very well could make the team, but I'm cautious to not get too far down the road on that concept yet.

As for a bubble playoff team, I'm honestly not sure. There are a number of guys who I feel are playing a bit above their level at the moment, or are going to have some ups and down over the course of a full season. I'm just not sold on the idea that this time is as good as its been playing, and that's exactly the kind of situation that has bit this organization in the ass more than a few times over the years.

I am not sure what their options are.

Zucc may get them like what, a late first at the draft, why not just wait as that is what he brings next deadline.

Are they going to move any of the RFAs? I mean other than Vesey they are all likely to get contracts that have both RFA and UFA years in them. Usually they like those deals.

If the prospects are not ready are they going to give cheap 1 year deals to the leftover UFAs, like DD and such? Or are they going Nash Kovalchuk level? If the later they are in wildcard territory.

Since it does not look as if they are getting to the top of the draft without supreme lottery luck, maybe they figure they may as well take all that and add. What are the other options if they can't get to the top of this or next draft, maybe not even get into 3rd tier prospects in both drafts.

They are sort of already stuck in the middle. Which was either a mistake, by taking back the roster players they did at the deadline, or it was by design and they are moving forward with them.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Zucc may get them like what, a late first at the draft, why not just wait as that is what he brings next deadline.

Are they going to move any of the RFAs? I mean other than Vesey they are all likely to get contracts that have both RFA and UFA years in them. Usually they like those deals.

If the prospects are not ready are they going to give cheap 1 year deals to the leftover UFAs, like DD and such? Or are they going Nash Kovalchuk level? If the later they are in wildcard territory.

Since it does not look as if they are getting to the top of the draft without supreme lottery luck, maybe they figure they may as well take all that and add. What are the other option if they can't get to the top of this or next draft, maybe not even get into 3rd tier prospects in both drafts.

They are sort of already stuck in the middle. Which was either a mistake, by taking back the roster players they did at the deadline, or it was by design and they are moving forward with them.

I think Zucc potentially gets you a pick in the early 20s and a solid, though not spectacular prospect. Though I don't know if the pick is in 2018.

I'm also one of those people who would not rule out the team moving one of either Kreider or Hayes.

I'm in agreement with McKenzie, I think this team has two or three potential deals immediately on the table once they're open to negotiate again.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

Since it does not look as if they are getting to the top of the draft without supreme lottery luck, maybe they figure they may as well take all that and add. What are the other option if they can't get to the top of this or next draft, maybe not even get into 3rd tier prospects in both drafts.

Everyone is probably right on about Zuccs value, BUT we still don’t know, Gorts was close, which means someone was going to give him what he wanted.

Hopefully we can AT LEAST pull a Brassard/Ziba trade with a kid who’s going to RFA when Zucc goes UFA.

I dunno, I just have hope that we can get a nice deal for Zucc at the draft. Gorton is going to have to be on the most A of all A games that day. Let’s just hope we get lotto luck and then he’ll have at least some reduced pressure.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is there a reason he couldn't be traded at the deadline to a contender?

I mentioned this before. Kovalchuk has been rumored to want to play for the Rangers. He wants to live at his home he built not far from The City. The Rangers could sign him a 1 year deal with a decent amount of cash (say $7m), let him play in NY for most of the season and should the team not be in contention, trade him for a couple of months of a shot at a Cup. Perhaps he gets a NMC so he can determine where he goes at the deadline. It's a win for Kovalchuk who gets to spend the majority of his time in a comfortable location he wants to be in and the Rangers get a veteran leader who can also return solid assets should the team not do well. Kovalchuk also gets to pick and choose his location at the deadline when the picture is clearer as to who the true contenders are.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad