Larry Brooks: Rangers must target Ilya Kovalchuk

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I mean if we could get him at a discount, sure! It'd be nice to have a skilled veteran. However, if he comes at any real cost, not a damn chance.
Somewhere in all this mess, is the fact that HAVING a player to that can put the puck in the net will help in the confidence of his linemates. Whether that's any Russian player or not. Doesn't matter. Making the garden explode has got to be awesome, whether it's you scoring or helping score that goal. Kovy would be that person in the development of that confidence. Wouldn't he?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Unfor
This is going to be a rebuild on the fly. The Rangers will compete next year. Heck theyre competing right now. Add in Kovalchuk and bring back Nash and you have a very, very strong forward group. Keep all of your 1st round picks. Add talent. Add depth to the farm system.
Unfortunately, I think this is what they just may do. I don't think any ONE person (Gorton) has the balls to ice a bad team for 3-4 years in NYC. Just cannot do it......Manhattan isn't synonymous with losing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This “rebuild” is clearly not going to be a long one. I mean, if they screw up, it certainly could go on and on. But I think it’s safe to assume the Rangers FO is expecting, at worst, next season to be a down season followed by a return to the playoffs in ‘19-‘20. That’s what I think they’re planning on and that’s what they’d tell Kovalchuk. The idea that MSG is going to be a barren wasteland for years and free agents are going to be turned off to the Rangers, doesn’t fly. At least, in my eyes.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Unfor

Unfortunately, I think this is what they just may do. I don't think any ONE person (Gorton) has the balls to ice a bad team for 3-4 years in NYC. Just cannot do it......Manhattan isn't synonymous with losing.

That’s not what’s happening. The Rangers aren’t signing both Kovalchuk and Nash. They may sign Kovalchuk but even that’s not a guarantee. There are still additional players off the roster that will be moved. (Hint: Zuccarello). The defense is substandard. And who knows how long it takes for the new coach to get the team used to thenew system. If this was going to remain a ‘rebuild on the fly ‘ there would have been no point for the letter to the fanbase. This is a new approach and it’s not business as usual. It’s not a one year recalibration.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
People fill the seats regardless of winning or losing. Thats not a component of anything Gorton thinks. "Dancing" Larry Brooks to me as relevant as Hockeybuzz. Look at all the teams that have turned it around in one year and become playoff teams in 2017-18 that were non playoff teams in 2016-17. Rangers should stay the course keep everyone under 30 with the exception being in adding some valuable and much needed veteran leadership in the locker room, which they havent had since Richards and St.Louis. They have to address that awful defense. Chytil and Andersson will add more offense next year and I surely think they will be a playoff team. You got very good goaltending. But you need D-men who can play 2018-19 defense,

Ogara is putrid, Skjei has been mediocre at best, Gilmour is a defensive liability, Staal is a one dimensional player. Then you have the immortal Neal Stionk and who knows when the luster comes off his shooting star and Kevin Shattenkirk whos not so hot at even strength and perhaps a reboot for Brendan Smith coming into next year.

This defense needs serious work. Address two spots and get some people who can play the position and I believe the rangers can be competitive playoff team. Say NO to Kovalchuk , Say NO To Karlsson.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad