Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Name 10 goalies 23 or younger and better than him.

Didn’t think so.
You are moving the goal posts here a bit. We can say he has starter potential and teams are intrigued by his upside, but we shouldn't call him really good yet.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If you’re using them as examples of goalies returning decent value, that’s totally fine.

If you think Georgiev is comparable value wise, I’m not so sure. His numbers in the NHL aren’t comparable to those three who at the time were thought to be sure fire NHL starters. Georgiev would be targeted to someone looking for a backup or prospect and not a current starter. He definitely has some value and potential but I don’t think he’ll return a first. Maybe a struggling former first round pick or a second. But not a first(maybe a really late one, but it feels like a stretch)

Lehner played 86 career games for Ottawa prior to the trade in June 2015. He was about 1 month from turning 24. The bulk of those games were played in the 2 years prior:

2013-14: 36 games, 3.06 GAA, .913 SV%
2014-15: 25 games, 3.02 GAA, .905 SV%

Georgiev has played 63 career games. He is 1 month from turning 24. His numbers this year and last:

2018-19: 33 games, 2.91 GAA, .914 SV%
2019-20: 20 games, 3.17 GAA, .909 SV%

They are very comparable. Add to that the fact that Anderson's numbers in 2014-15 (2.49/.923) were significantly better than Lehner's, so it's not just a case of playing behind a bad defense, and he still returned the 21st overall pick. To be fair, Legwand was part of the deal also, but his value wasn't that high.

Jones had better numbers, but he had played less games (34 total), and he was 25 at the time he was traded:

2013-14: 19 games, 1.81 GAA, .934 SV%
2014-15: 15 games, 2.24 GAA, .906 SV%

He played on some very good Kings teams.

Schneider was 27 when he was traded and had played 98 career games. His numbers in his final 3 years in Vancouver (88 games) were impressive, and he returned the 9th overall pick. I'm not expecting Georgiev to return a top 10 pick, but a late 1st is certainly within reason. If there is a team that thinks he is a #1 goalie, then a 1st round pick is a small price to pay to be set in goal for the next 10+ years.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
His numbers haven't been very good since coming over to NA, but maybe that's a reflection of the team in front of him? It's not like this is a situation like Schneider or Jones, where their NHL numbers were a lot more proven to be potential starter caliber, especially in Schneider's case.

Our team D is less than reliable this season.

With that said, Lundqvist is having a bounceback season and Georgiev is responding by not giving Quinn a reason to sit him and entitle Lundqvist as the bonafide #1 again. He seems to be getting the tougher starts too. There is more to the story than numbers.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe this is to prevent Shesterkin from going back to the KHL? Give him a call-up, give him a couple games and then re-assign him to the AHL? I know that some players have out clauses to not be in the AHL long-term, but I'm unaware if Shesterkin has one.

Seems like a weird situation but I'm sure there's a pretty valid reason.

He has one. Some had said it's for next season, some have said it applies for the second half of this season. The Rangers have now played 41 games. Make of that what you will.

Reactions: SprDaVE

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Toronto want both Kreider and Georgie then the price is going to be high.
The price being "high" doesn't mean you post a ridiculous offer where you know they value the prospect more than a UFA / backup or potential starter.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Georgiev makes a ton of sense for Detroit:

-If they move on from Howard after this year, they'll need somebody that can platoon with Bernier for a year
-They'll need someone in place on the NHL roster for 21-22 as Bernier is a UFA and none of their prospect goalies are likely to be ready at that point
-With Kaden Fulcher currently the only goalie they have that will be a factor for the expansion draft, they would easily be able to protect Georgiev
-Given none of their prospect goalies are close, Georgiev would give them a closer option that still has a couple years of team control and a potential starter for when the team is ready to compete
-They'll probably need to move some forward depth before next season since all of the forwards currently on the NHL roster are either under contract for next year or a likely qualified RFA, and they'll have guys like Zadina, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov and Smith pushing for NHL jobs, if they haven't already taken one, as well as the possibility of a forward taken at #1-4OA in the coming draft immediately stepping into the NHL next season.

All that said, I don't see Steve Yzerman trading any super valuable pieces to get him. Certainly not any 1st round picks or any players recently taken there. Maybe AA or Cholowski? Or a package of mid round picks/prospects and some of their younger depth on wing they may not have room for next season (IE Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Svechnikov)?

Also, as I alluded to in a recent thread regarding Georgiev to Detroit, the Wings would probably be happy to take on 100% of any bad salary the Rangers would like get rid of if it helps lower the overall price to acquire Georgiev. That is of course if they are indeed interested in him. I could also see Yzerman just signing a Greiss/Halak/Elliot/Talbot/etc. for two years to fill the gaps mentioned above.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The price being "high" doesn't mean you post a ridiculous offer where you know they value the prospect more than a UFA / backup or potential starter.

There's the max price that a team is willing to pay, and then there's the minimum price that we are willing to accept. If those two things don't overlap in the venn diagram, then there probably isn't a deal to be made.

Kreider is going to get traded, so if the values don't line up, we'll probably be forced to reduce our ask. But for Georgiev, there's no reason for us to accept less, even if the rest of the hockey world considers it an overpayment. If we are trading both to 1 team, I would definitely want more quality back than quantity, if I'm Gorton. Otherwise I would just trade Kreider for a 1st+ and keep Georgiev.

Reactions: slg1963

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's the max price that a team is willing to pay, and then there's the minimum price that we are willing to accept. If those two things don't overlap in the venn diagram, then there probably isn't a deal to be made.

Kreider is going to get traded, so if the values don't line up, we'll probably be forced to reduce our ask. But for Georgiev, there's no reason for us to accept less, even if the rest of the hockey world considers it an overpayment. If we are trading both to 1 team, I would definitely want more quality back than quantity, if I'm Gorton. Otherwise I would just trade Kreider for a 1st+ and keep Georgiev.
The thing with Georgiev is, that all the other teams know the Rangers are against a deadline. It won't be the trade deadline, but I don't see a scenario where you guys have those 3 goalies to start next season.

Reactions: flyers4life88

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The thing with Georgiev is, that all the other teams know the Rangers are against a deadline. It won't be the trade deadline, but I don't see a scenario where you guys have those 3 goalies to start next season.

That's true, but there are other ways to solve the issue other than trading Georgiev. None of the options are good IMO, but other options do exist. They could, for example, buy out Henrik and keep both of the kids. Or maybe Henrik has already told the team that he intends to retire at the end of the year. As long as there are other options, Gorton won't be pressured to make a move.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's true, but there are other ways to solve the issue other than trading Georgiev. None of the options are good IMO, but other options do exist. They could, for example, buy out Henrik and keep both of the kids. Or maybe Henrik has already told the team that he intends to retire at the end of the year. As long as there are other options, Gorton won't be pressured to make a move.
Henrik retiring and having that young tandem would be the ideal situation for you guys moving forward. Would be a bit weird to see him bought out and sign with another team.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
No chance they move him before Shestyorkin shows what he can do. There may be a trade percolating but it won't be for a few weeks.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Igor has a euro out clause. If he is even thinking about exercising that then he needs to be called up. Georgiev would most likely be moved at the deadline.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Georgiev makes a ton of sense for Detroit:

-If they move on from Howard after this year, they'll need somebody that can platoon with Bernier for a year
-They'll need someone in place on the NHL roster for 21-22 as Bernier is a UFA and none of their prospect goalies are likely to be ready at that point
-With Kaden Fulcher currently the only goalie they have that will be a factor for the expansion draft, they would easily be able to protect Georgiev
-Given none of their prospect goalies are close, Georgiev would give them a closer option that still has a couple years of team control and a potential starter for when the team is ready to compete
-They'll probably need to move some forward depth before next season since all of the forwards currently on the NHL roster are either under contract for next year or a likely qualified RFA, and they'll have guys like Zadina, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov and Smith pushing for NHL jobs, if they haven't already taken one, as well as the possibility of a forward taken at #1-4OA in the coming draft immediately stepping into the NHL next season.

All that said, I don't see Steve Yzerman trading any super valuable pieces to get him. Certainly not any 1st round picks or any players recently taken there. Maybe AA or Cholowski? Or a package of mid round picks/prospects and some of their younger depth on wing they may not have room for next season (IE Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Svechnikov)?

Also, as I alluded to in a recent thread regarding Georgiev to Detroit, the Wings would probably be happy to take on 100% of any bad salary the Rangers would like get rid of if it helps lower the overall price to acquire Georgiev. That is of course if they are indeed interested in him. I could also see Yzerman just signing a Greiss/Halak/Elliot/Talbot/etc. for two years to fill the gaps mentioned above.

Rangers are in no way interested in attaching bad contracts to assets to move them out, they are in a rebuild just like the wings are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad