Feb 12, 2019
Because he's 23 and really good?
6sdMeys.jpg

Reactions: domiwroze

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
His numbers haven't been very good since coming over to NA, but maybe that's a reflection of the team in front of him? It's not like this is a situation like Schneider or Jones, where their NHL numbers were a lot more proven to be potential starter caliber, especially in Schneider's case.

It's the crappy defense in front of him. Georgiev has been fantastic since coming to New York.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Lehner, Jones and Schneider were all traded for 1st round picks.

If you’re using them as examples of goalies returning decent value, that’s totally fine.

If you think Georgiev is comparable value wise, I’m not so sure. His numbers in the NHL aren’t comparable to those three who at the time were thought to be sure fire NHL starters. Georgiev would be targeted to someone looking for a backup or prospect and not a current starter. He definitely has some value and potential but I don’t think he’ll return a first. Maybe a struggling former first round pick or a second. But not a first(maybe a really late one, but it feels like a stretch)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, I remember all those Ryan Miller threads when the Blues were going for him, and how Buffalo was demanding this great prospect haul with a 1st. They got a 1st, cap dumps, and a decent prospect that became a 4th liner, and he was in the middle of a really good season.
Even then, Ott came along with Miller, who at the time was still a very useful bottom 6 NHLer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe this is to prevent Shesterkin from going back to the KHL? Give him a call-up, give him a couple games and then re-assign him to the AHL? I know that some players have out clauses to not be in the AHL long-term, but I'm unaware if Shesterkin has one.

Seems like a weird situation but I'm sure there's a pretty valid reason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Even then, Ott came along with Miller, who at the time was still a very useful bottom 6 NHLer
Right. I was just illustrating that even a top 10ish goalie at the time in the league only gets about a 1st rounder. Goalies just don't carry much value unless you are certain it's a young goalie that can be a good #1 like Schneider, and even then, he just provided 3 good years, albeit really good years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Maybe this is to prevent Shesterkin from going back to the KHL? Give him a call-up, give him a couple games and then re-assign him to the AHL? I know that some players have out clauses to not be in the AHL long-term, but I'm unaware if Shesterkin has one.

Seems like a weird situation but I'm sure there's a pretty valid reason.
His clause is for next year.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Somewhat reminds me of Bobrovsky so far in his career, when he gets alot of work he plays great but he's prone to having a bad period every other game...Bob was traded for two 2nds but he also had more games played at this point. Whoever ends up with this guy is going to be happy, though I doubt he has the individual success that Bob had

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Have to imagine the Leafs have made an offer. No idea if it is anywhere close to getting it done. Doubt they move significant futures, unless they can move a F there or something for a combination of a goalie and cap relief coming back such as Johnsson.

Reactions: Ciao

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Most of us NYR fans aren't expecting a 1st round pick for Georgiev.

Agreed, I haven't seen any of us expecting a huge return on him. Talbot was more proven and we had higher hopes. Georgiev has lots of potential but still has some question marks as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad