Proposal: Rangers-Lightning

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tampa gets a late pick, a defensive prospect they don't need, and a goalie they can't protect.

... Next.
The Sens will blow that proposal away if he is available. Which i dont see how he would be they will find a way and move other contracts instead.

Well we don't want to move Sergachev so we are going to need an overpayment to make us consider. Fox straight up might be fair value but if we don't want to move our player we will need more than fair value.
Its not fair value Sergachev is better with way more upside.

Well ye it matters. It is about finding the common ground that is acceptable for both teams.

Fox plus 1st seems quite excessive.
Good starting point tbh maybe another small add from the Rangers.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
No interest in Sergachev. Zero. Good young player but not needed in NY where they have Miller, Robertson and Hajek coming on the left side to compliment Lindgren. People need to stop trying to acquire a lefty defenseman for the Rangers. It's comical. They have what they need in their farm. Patience is all that is required.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Quick Hits: The future of NHL advertising, Carl Hagelin may have wanted to stay, NHL top 200 players Hags said he would take less but was never given a chance. I would say Fox was signing with us the way he conducted interviews and won’t go into detail. The difference is now you know he could play at NHL as he could’ve easily turned into a Matt Gilroy type which is why a 3rd was more than fair value considering that’s what Vesey went for and where Fox was drafted. Trouba put up better numbers with Morrissey as well. It reminds me of Anton situation where Sather bet Staal was the glue in that pairing and turned out to be wrong. It seems Gorton did the same thing except this is more costly at cap hit and cost a 1st round pick. I hope Trouba and Gorton prove me wrong with him becoming that Norris trophy contender that Gorton paid him as such. I get it that at some point you have to go for it but Sakic and Stevie Y have ran circles on how to operate and conduct business. Funny thing is people bash Sather for “going for it” with Marc Staal and Dan Girardi contracts. He traded firsts and 2nds like Gorton and got crucified. If Rangers don’t win a series next year Gorton will have same amount of series win as Sather did in his first 5 years except Gorton was handed a cup contending roster. I agree about not throwing young kids to the wolves which is why I don’t get people saying we need to upgrade 2C because they don’t like Strome who is a perfect stopgap and show young kids the right way of playing. Signing vets to cheap deals like Boyle or Brass would’ve been smarter instead of guys like McKegg or Haley.

Where you lose me is with Trouba.

His salary in 2 years is going to be market rate for a top pairing defender which is exactly what he is.

If he give me Norris level defense, even better.

I think NYR brass are more in line with your thinking on Strome than the vocal fans on this board. I personally believe he worth 5 per over 4 years. But he does not get any movement protections.

Rangers were one of, if not the, youngest teams in the NHL last year and were seriously knocking on the door of the playoffs before the pandemic shut the season down.

I expect that they will remain such this year coming with Lafreniere making the team and guys like Fast and McKegg getting replaced by Barron and Lias.

The Rangers rebuild, from where they were at the 2017 draft, to where they are now is nothing short of impressive.

The catch with ALL rebuilds is hoping the later 1st rounders in Chytil, Miller and Lundkvist all pan out.

Thats the crap shoot with a rebuild.

I'm both impressed with what this organization has done, and excited to see this team in the 21-22 season as that is when the fruits of labor will come to harvest.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If you think Girardi was going to leave far more actual salary on the table, then I don’t know what to tell you. That means you don’t understand the difference between cap hit and actual salary owed and how it pertains to a buyout. So before we even continue this part of this conversation, you need to figure that out on your own.

Girardi wasn’t bought out to sign Smith. That’s you making an asinine and unfounded claim to prop up the argument that you think you have. Girardi was bought out because he was horrible and declining fast. His body was broken. He was done. He was able to retire because he wasn’t making much in actual salary on his new deal and is getting his money from the buyout. That wouldn’t have been able to occur in NY.

Again, no one is arguing that Ryan Graves wouldn’t help, but you’re acting as if this is Calgary letting go of Martin St. Louis. Graves is a 4D at best. He got his chance elsewhere. Good for him. You can continue to cry over it if you’d like. Shit happens.

You want to tell me what happened with those picks they sent to Carolina for Eric Staal? Who they turned out to be? Where they are now? I’ll wait.

If you think Marc Staal and Dan Girardi weren’t part of the problem, I don’t know what to tell you. Their injuries weren’t the reason they lost. They didn’t win because it was Gorton’s last stab at a cup and Eric Staal didn’t work. That’s why he traded Brassard months after they lost to Pittsburgh. He knew the run with that core was dwindling.

Justin Schultz and Jakub Kindl? Lmfao. Schultz was the exact opposite of what they needed at that time and Kindl was out of the NHL at 29 years old after the end of the 16-17 season. I’m supposed to take you seriously when you’re suggesting names like this? Hahaha get real.

And you’d have a young team that’s 1 year behind in it’s development with 6 years left of Artemi Panarin. You probably don’t and will refuse to understand this due to your hatred of Gorton, but I’ll explain it anyway. Gorton had a plan to get the elite piece in Panarin and build a young team around him and Zibanejad. Fox was part of the equation. By trading early for Fox, it helps Fox and the team as a whole develop quicker, so they could possibly win a cup during Panarin’s prime years. They don’t have him for 8 years and by the time his deal ends, he’ll be 35 and on the decline. They also have to try to win while players are on their ELC’s and have the ELC’s stagger in different years so they can manage the cap. I don’t think you have a grasp on how many ELC’s this team will have expiring within a 1-2 season span.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. Saying that he would perform better without Skjei or Smith is completely different from saying he needs to be carried. Now you’re getting desperate because your argument is shit. Trouba performed like a 1D in Winnipeg in 2019 when he had a capable partner. Skjei and Smith are not capable of playing top pairing minutes, which you even admit to below in the case of Skjei.

Uh yeah he did. He wasn’t nearly as good in 2015 and 2016 as he was in 2014 and 2017. Part of that was Girardi.

LMFAO WHAT?!? Skjei has regressed EVERY SEASON since his rookie year. Now I know I don’t have to take you seriously.

Incoherent and worthless drivel, being that they officially started to rebuild during Gorton’s 3rd season. Your judgement is skewed because you want to use him as a scapegoat. I’m done replying to someone who is as lost as you are.

largely agree

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

His salary in 2 years is going to be market rate for a top pairing defender which is exactly what he is.

I think NYR brass are more in line with your thinking on Strome than the vocal fans on this board. I personally believe he worth 5 per over 4 years. But he does not get any movement protections.

Rangers were one of, if not the, youngest teams in the NHL last year and were seriously knocking on the door of the playoffs before the pandemic shut the season down.

I expect that they will remain such this year coming with Lafreniere making the team and guys like Fast and McKegg getting replaced by Barron and Lias.

The Rangers rebuild, from where they were at the 2017 draft, to where they are now is nothing short of impressive.

The catch with ALL rebuilds is hoping the later 1st rounders in Chytil, Miller and Lundkvist all pan out.

I'm both impressed with what this organization has done, and excited to see this team in the 21-22 season as that is when the fruits of labor will come to harvest.

99% agree
Lias, not so much, still, at this pt

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is completely off topic; didn't you used to be a Blackhawks fan or am i thinking of someone else? If my memory isn't complete shit (i wouldn't rule that out) how come you changed teams?

Never was a Blackhawks fan. Started following the Avs a little when I moved to Colorado for a couple of years but always been a Lightning fan.

Reactions: bernmeister

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020

Interesting so Tony’s agent will have the same mindset since he outplayed Trouba and had a worse partner in Staal. Trouba got that money after getting easy matchups with Big Buff logging the hard matchups.
I don’t see Trouba as a top pair Dman but a solid 2nd pair Dman and love the way he plays. He is tied for 5th highest paid Dman cap hit with only EK65,Doughty,Subban,OEL ahead while tied with Carlson and Burns.

Lias won’t be back until end of the season if at all since he is in SHL.The weakness of Rangers is bottom 6 that does nothing Defensively which puts pressure on a avg D to play above their heads. 3 out of 6 players used for PK forward wise is Mika,Chytil,Howden and that’s all we know without Fast. Kreider can’t,Buch can’t,Panarin is a star so won’t. Kakko still learning as will Laff.
Gauthier I don’t see but will probably get a look.

Offensively this team will be top 10 and PP should be above average. I rather play Strome out one year see how cap goes while keeping the flexibility moving forward with expansion draft playing apart. I agree seeing him with the contract terms but Kreider’s contract probably knocked him out with them being low key smart to lock Chytil up like Sather did Brass.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Interesting so Tony’s agent will have the same mindset since he outplayed Trouba and had a worse partner in Staal. Trouba got that money after getting easy matchups with Big Buff logging the hard matchups.
I don’t see Trouba as a top pair Dman but a solid 2nd pair Dman and love the way he plays. He is tied for 5th highest paid Dman cap hit with only EK65,Doughty,Subban,OEL ahead while tied with Carlson and Burns.

Lias won’t be back until end of the season if at all since he is in SHL.The weakness of Rangers is bottom 6 that does nothing Defensively which puts pressure on a avg D to play above their heads. 3 out of 6 players used for PK forward wise is Mika,Chytil,Howden and that’s all we know without Fast. Kreider can’t,Buch can’t,Panarin is a star so won’t. Kakko still learning as will Laff.
Gauthier I don’t see but will probably get a look.

Offensively this team will be top 10 and PP should be above average. I rather play Strome out one year see how cap goes while keeping the flexibility moving forward with expansion draft playing apart. I agree seeing him with the contract terms but Kreider’s contract probably knocked him out with them being low key smart to lock Chytil up like Sather did Brass.

If I'm TDA's agent, you can bet your last dollar im going to use that (Staal) as a tool to enhance the contract value and rightfully so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad