Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning - Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The Glass hit on Boyle just made number 4 on the Sportscenter top 10 tonight. I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Glass is never coming out of the lineup now and will be resigned to a 5 year $25 million contract extension due to being on Sports Center.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
We should stuff the all star ballot box for Tanner Glass, just like Latvia did for Girgensons last year. I would die of laughter watching him in a skills competition. Vancouver and Pittsburgh fans would probably help us. Hell, all of HF probably would.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The team looked more engaged than they have in a while. Don't discount the Hayes scratch as a large factor. Sometimes scratching a regular and making everyone feel a little uncomfortable about their spot in the lineup goes a long way.

The 4th line was fantastic

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That second goal against was BS and the guys didn't implode. Building block?

Probably the only game in over a month where I haven't churned in disgust.

The 2nd goal was not explained adequately. The actual rule is if he whistle blows, that's it. Over. Finito.

That pizza faced ref apparently made up a rule that it was a good goal because it was the original shot (which was also wrong, by the way). Whatever. As you mentioned, it was encouraging the team didn't go into one of its patented 3 minute swoons afterward.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There are just some things that stats can't measure.

Yea it can't measure things like grit, and heart and toughness and determination.

All things that coaches like AV use to justify keeping in and continuing to play garbage players like Staal and Girardi and Glass

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They defended the front of their net better, back checked hard, finished checks, went to the other teams net with the puck, all the stuff they were not doing. Basically competing. They even had some sustained pressure in the offensive zone and had less giveaways than the other team.

Like the way they do it, or the idea behind it, or not Girardi, Klein and Staal are not easy to play against in front of their net when they up their physicality and don't go around chasing all the time. Even Staal was credited (I did not notice them) with two hits which I think ties or eclipses his most in a single game for the season.

Was that an adjustment? Honestly they did not look to be chasing all the time? Maybe because the forwards were coming back hard? Maybe because the coaching told them to not chase as much, I don't know but I did not see oceans of open ice in front last night, and I did not see the two D both go behind the net to attempt to cover one guy thing. Did the Hayes benching have something to do with it?

Glass was both good and bad. Bad penalties but overall played pretty well for Glass. I'd call it a net even for the game for him.

It's a start, if they build on that type of play they may be headed back in a better direction.

Was not perfect by any means, Tampa made some coverage errors (the Zucc goal), some turnovers (even Hedman does it, Girardi would have been panned for those plays), they hit a post, Staal swept one from the goal line, Stralman panicked with Glass coming in on him, but at least if they play like this it may limit the goals against to a point where they can get back to the score first and hold on game they seemed to thrived on.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think the NHL and the WWE have a job share program for officials.
And theyre all fished out of toilets.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
thought they played a very strong defensive game for the most part. seemed more like the team i used to watch :laugh:

yandle klein and even girardi had good nights. played a good positional game down low and especially took away time and space for the bolt forwards at mid ice.

nash was his usual, lots of effort little result, self. kreider continues to look like he's been shot with rhino tranquilizer. the 4th line was perhaps our best line. tanner glass ? he's certainly GOAT.

having said that, thats as bad a tampa effort as i can remember. they weren't very good. vic hedman and a notably bad evening.

something to build on.

and we some how won a game with out dylan mcilrath ?? :amazed:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Bishop is in big trouble when the league cuts down the size of goalie pads. So slowwwwww.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't care if he saved a goal (So has Glass, it doesn't mean anything), Staal has been SO bad. Watching him play that 2-on-1 at the 14:20 mark of the 3rd period was like watching a duck that just got hunted--his poke check was so far gone and his body wasn't even covering the path of the pass. Hank completely bails him out there.

Also, why does Ulf keep pairing Staal and Klein?

McD and G suck together again, as usual.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
The Rangers were fortunate enough that the goals they gave up were at the end of the period. There was no time to let the flood gates open. They were able to get in the locker room and regroup. I prefer that.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yea it can't measure things like grit, and heart and toughness and determination.

All things that coaches like AV use to justify keeping in and continuing to play garbage players like Staal and Girardi and Glass

Doesn't give you the right to act like they don't exist, or matter, in a passionate game like this.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
nash was his usual, lots of effort little result, self. kreider continues to look like he's been shot with rhino tranquilizer. the 4th line was perhaps our best line. tanner glass ? he's certainly GOAT.

If Tampa scored 2 goals in the last 30 seconds Nash's goal would have been the game winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad