Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys, Jets fan here - really tough loss for us, as we are in "very desperate mode" right now where we can lose our playoff spot any day. The jets fanbase has the expectation to get in, and the team is feeling the pressure.

Anyways, just wanted to drop by and give my thoughts regarding that Buff hit:

1) I completely missed it during the game, only saw it after when someone posted a vine about it.

2) Uncharacteristic. I know Buff is a very physical player but he also has a level of respect for the game. I am not going to defend the hit, because I think it was a dirty hit but please do consider before labelling the guy as a dirty player - though he's physical, he doesn't have a history of trying to injure players with intention. He's one of those players other teams' players tend to get along with, especially off the ice. Does not excuse that play however. I cringed when I saw the vine, really sorry about that and I hope your player is ok :(

3) That hit is brutal. Really hope you guys get proper justice for the hit and if Buff gets suspended, so be it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If corsi means more than points than am I to assume the top 16 corsi teams will be playing for the cup starting in a few weeks? I missed the memo...

But I repeatedly read on the Isles forum that our performance is "unsustainable" due to low Corsi and we'll be "exposed" once our "cupcake schedule" ends. Are you suggesting that we didn't play Buffalo 76 times in a row this season?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hey guys, Jets fan here - really tough loss for us, as we are in "very desperate mode" right now where we can lose our playoff spot any day. The jets fanbase has the expectation to get in, and the team is feeling the pressure.

1) I completely missed it, only saw it when someone posted a vine about it.

2) Uncharacteristic. I know Buff is a very physical player but he also has a level of respect for the game. I am not going to defend the hit, because I think it was a dirty hit but please do consider labelling the guy as a dirty player as - though he's physical, he doesn't have a history of trying to injure players with intention. He's one of those players other teams' players tend to get along with, especially off the ice. Does not excuse that play however. I cringed when I saw the vine, really sorry about that and I hope your player is ok :(

3) That hit is brutal. Really hope you guys get proper justice for the hit and if Buff gets suspended, so be it.
Thanks for stopping by. :)

(Don't mean that in a surly way either lol)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
13 of the top 16 teams in CF% are currently in playoff position, so it's actually not that far off lirl. The other 3 are Dallas, Florida, and the Hurricanes.

The style of the game each team plays matters. Also, when you are usually on top for all or most of the third period, you tend to not have possession and not to shoot much, so Corsi, Fenwick and all the other #fancystats get worse. A team up by a pair of goals in the third or by one goal in the second half of he third always looks to be dominated, so their #fancystats become worse.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

1) I completely missed it during the game, only saw it after when someone posted a vine about it.

2) Uncharacteristic. I know Buff is a very physical player but he also has a level of respect for the game. I am not going to defend the hit, because I think it was a dirty hit but please do consider before labelling the guy as a dirty player - though he's physical, he doesn't have a history of trying to injure players with intention. He's one of those players other teams' players tend to get along with, especially off the ice. Does not excuse that play however. I cringed when I saw the vine, really sorry about that and I hope your player is ok :(

I hope you guys make the playoffs, and the Kings don't. Believe me, I think most Ranger fans are rooting for you guys, despite what transpired tonight.

I don't have anything against Byfuglien, even after what he did. I don't think he's a dirty player, but it was a dirty play. Clean players can make dirty plays. I was completely against all the hateful comments directed at Byfuglien after the play. I wish the guy the best. I really don't have anything bad to say about Byfuglien's character like some people have because I simply don't know him, but I hope the NHL decides to suspend him for many games.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
13 of the top 16 teams in CF% are currently in playoff position, so it's actually not that far off lirl. The other 3 are Dallas, Florida, and the Hurricanes.

Happy with the win but I'm not going to say they played well or hold back rational criticism just because of the win. It is possible to enjoy a win and still make criticisms.

It's off by almost 20%. Pretty significant...

Edit: And when you have an outlier as significant as Carolina in there, then that's a pretty good sign something is wrong. Ranking by points would never produce such a glaringly bad result.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The style of the game each team plays matters. Also, when you are usually on top for all or most of the third period, you tend to not have possession and not to shoot much, so Corsi, Fenwick and all the other #fancystats get worse. A team up by a pair of goals in the third or by one goal in the second half of he third always looks to be dominated, so their #fancystats become worse.

That's where Score Adjusted numbers come in.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Back in 1st place in the East with a game in hand on Habs and 2 on Tampa.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Happy with the win but I'm not going to say they played well or hold back rational criticism just because of the win. It is possible to enjoy a win and still make criticisms.

No it's not. If you're not wearing to the Rangers blinders 24/7 or making up dumb excuses for why the team played poorly, you're just negative and a whiner. Also, nothing you say matters, because win and standings.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It's off by almost 20%. Pretty significant...

Edit: And when you have an outlier as significant as Carolina in there, then that's a pretty good sign something is wrong. Ranking by points would never produce such a glaringly bad result.

Oh yeah? :laugh:

How could you possibly show they do since everyone around here seems to think the standings are all that matters when it comes to how good a team is?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I liked last nights win a lot.

The Jets play an in your face sort of game and realy try to limit time and space and the Rangers stayed right there with them.

Our boys also handled the extra BS pretty well as well.

Much needed win against a team looking to secure a PO spot.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
3rd game in 4 nights? Check
Tons of travel? Check
Erasing a deficit despite this and a current losing streak? Check
Playing against yet another team going all out fighting for the playoffs? Check
STILL Won the game? Check
People are still complaining about...something. CHECK CHECK CHECK.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers have been playing like garbage since clinching but I'll take a win

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Unbelievable. Montreal morning guys on jt miller incident totally condoning with buff did cause miller "whacked" at puck while goalie was trying to cover the puck. Plus they were calling him tj miller.
What are these guys watching?

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Unbelievable. Montreal morning guys on jt miller incident totally condoning with buff did cause miller "whacked" at puck while goalie was trying to cover the puck. Plus they were calling him tj miller.
What are these guys watching?
Ridiculous. A guy on the main board basically said it was ok because we run goalies. What the **** is in the water in that city?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Eh, I would buy this as "uncharacteristic" if he didn't then go on to punch and crosscheck Zuccarello in the back of the neck at the end of the game.

Normally, when players go off the reservation like Byfuglien did last night, there's a reason: a nasty slash, a dirty hit, something. I couldn't recall a single thing that happened to Byfuglien, or any Jet for that matter, that would set the guy off like that.

I mean, he punched/crosschecked Zuccarello a good 4 or 5 times for the heinous crime of trying to kill a couple seconds of clock.

He should sit for at least 5 games for what he did to Miller. That seriously could have paralyzed the kid.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Byfuglien's always been tough and nasty. Remember, he came in the league as a rugged #6 DMan who used to rack up PIMs. Opening Night 2008-09, him and Mara had a nasty fight.

His offense developed later and he concentrated more on that when he was riding shotgun with Towes and Kane.

He's usually stayed within line. Last night he did not.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Mike Johnson on NHL radio just said he wouldn't be surprised if Big Buff is suspended the rest of the regular season (5gms) for his brutal cheap shot on JT.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Thank God Glass is in the game so nobody takes liberties with the Rangers on the ice.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing!
I'm disappointed that no one went after Buff after that play on Miller, and especially at the end of the game on what he did to Zucc. I mean Kreider was right next to him and did nothing, I mean c'mon, I know it's a close game, but you need to stick up for one another in these types of situations.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm disappointed that no one went after Buff after that play on Miller, and especially at the end of the game on what he did to Zucc. I mean Kreider was right next to him and did nothing, I mean c'mon, I know it's a close game, but you need to stick up for one another in these types of situations.

I was as angry as anyone after that play, but the best justice is scoring the go ahead goal on that plug, and winning the game.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I agree, even though deep down I don't want to... If Zucc was hurt on the play, I think Kreider jumps in. But, Kreids knows that the Rangers are up 3-2 and gonna go on the PP to essentially clinch the win. I don't think he wants to take a risk there to make it 4 on 4 hockey and potentially sacrifice a point.

I was as angry as anyone after that play, but the best justice is scoring the go ahead goal on that plug, and winning the game.

Yeah, there was that too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad