Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders | 1/16/20

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
- Now, seeing how much chemistry he has with Panarin, I am firmly in the re-sign camp. Don't be fooled, not everyone can play with Panarin. The fact that Strome is over-performing with him is not a negative, it's a positive. It allows Zib to slot in on another line and gives us so much balance in our top 6.
I've been saying the same thing. You could actually take it one line further. With Panarin jelling with Strome,.. freeing up Zibad and Kreids to do their own thing,... gives opposing teams two lines to worry about. This takes all the pressure and concentration of other teams,.. off the 3rd line. The kids line. And you see how well they are doing lately. So in effect, Strome and Panarin's chemistry, actually improves all 3 scoring lines.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The Isles postgame thread was VOMIT. Ripping Fox for choosing NY and how if it wasn't for NYC the NYR wouldn't have Panarin or Fox. Crying about the refs, saying the Zibanejad goal wasn't conclusive enough. They wanted "Ross the Plug" to target Lindgren and DeAngelo. Oh, and one guy said "what's with these shi**y goalies playing well against us"? HAHAHAHA. You know they're hurting.
They have such a Mickey Mouse crew and the women they have on their broadcast are downright terrible.

I don’t live in NY so I don’t have MSG but what happened to Deb Placey? She’s legit one of the best in the business.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I've been saying the same thing. You could actually take it one line further. With Panarin jelling with Strome,.. freeing up Zibad and Kreids to do their own thing, this gives opposing teams two lines to worry about. This takes off all the pressure and concentration of other teams,.. off the 3rd line. The kids line. And you see how well they are doing lately. So in effect, Strome and Panarin's chemistry, actually improves all 3 scoring lines.
Agreed. People consistently underrate chemistry. There’s a reason why the star studded dark ages Ranger teams were bad, and lack of chemistry is a major component of it.

In my eyes, the core of the top 6 is set. They can probably adjust to losing Kreider (I’d prefer to keep him somehow) but the Strome-Panarin combo and Zibanejad need to stay. Put whatever plug you want with Panarin and work the kids around until the magic happens with Zibanejad as well. And then, keep those lines intact for a LOOOOONG time.

Find combos that work, commit to them, deal with the occasional bad game but reap the long term benefits. Most of the top offensive players in the league are part of a line or combo that has been together for a really long time. Chemistry is critical.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I like a lot of what I"m seeing out of Kakko right now, doing a lot more than he was before christmas

it hasn't all come together for him yet but he's playing the puck more and looking to make thing shappen more. Getting more touches, the points will come

I bet he does well after the all star break
Probably just a maturity issue. He’ll get better with time.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well...I'm two for two in the pick the winner in this series . It did not look good last night until we started owning the boards later in the game and winning the battles . I am glad I am not the GM though with some of the decisions that need to be made . Refs were just plain bad last night . Fast must be practicing the backwards leg kick...reverse Panarin move ....worked out well LOL....won us the game. Kreider , will he get a hearing for the elbow on the push in by Isles D on Isles goalie ?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Having guys like Fox and ADA on the back end who can make quick smart plays with the puck under pressure is a big reason why we can actually beat the Islanders now.

Staal, Skjei, and to a lesser extent Trouba were victimized a few times each by the Islanders relentless forecheck.

Also, please please please go away Micheal Haley. At least McKegg has a motor.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Why? What purpose does Hank serve? He's an $8.5M back-up goalie on this team. I'd rather pay him $5.5M not to play than $8.5M to play.

Completely agree. I wish we was willing to accept a trade but a buyout works too.

Also, I cannot state enough how much my hatred for the ****ing Isles has been renewed. Everything about that shit kicker franchise... I hate it.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You guys see DeAngelo as a piece that is getting traded rather than staying? I feel like him and Strome played themselves onto the team but I guess not.
I am one of ADA’s toughest critics, but there’s no way he’s trade bait this year. I mean, never say never, obviously; someone could always come with a godfather offer. But the points are simply too much to ignore.

The reason it comes up is because a) there is interest around the league; b) despite the offense, Tony still has significant flaws (witness the hotheaded display last night and the fact that he doesn’t PK); and c) the Rangers will have a pending cap issue with the RHD several years down the line.

IMO, the most likely outcome is that he stays, signs a 2- or 4-year RFA deal this summer, and then, somewhere down the line, one of the RHD is moved in a significant hockey trade — at which point, I personally do believe it’ll be ADA who goes, due to his flaws, eventual cost, and the timing of younger players coming up behind him (though, of course, a lot can change over time).

(As for Strome, people are skeptical of his performance — despite the fact that he’s been doing it for a year now, including before Panarin arrived — because of all the bad years in EDM. Some of my fellow posters are firmly convinced the performance is a quirk of opportunity and destined to fade.)

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Brassard is such a troll. Happy he's found a spot in the league again. Happier that his bs cost his team the win.

Kakko has been playing much better and had another good game overall. Chytil has really lifted that line, even Howden has improved--playing on the wing seems to have really helped him too. Still, while I love to see Kakko making strong dekes, sweet passes, and holding off defensemen along the walls, if he becomes another Ranger who refuses to shoot, he'll be hard pressed to become a fan (this fan's) favorite.

Reactions: egelband

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I’m kind of surprised Strome is getting so much love to resign. Look I like Strome and I’m glad he is having a good year statiscally he is having a good year but I think it’s fair to say that a Panarin is a major reason why. Panarin has really given him some picture perfect setups and also draws multiple defenders to him because how good he is. I’m not trying to knock on a Strome and I’m fine resigning him but when he is away from Panarin it’s not close to the same impact

Reactions: ohbaby

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You guys see DeAngelo as a piece that is getting traded rather than staying? I feel like him and Strome played themselves onto the team but I guess not.
Sather would have given them all long term deals. Gorton... he is a little more cutthroat I sense. But it’s really hard to tell what’s going to happen in the next few weeks.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I’m kind of surprised Strome is getting so much love to resign. Look I like Strome and I’m glad he is having a good year statiscally he is having a good year but I think it’s fair to say that a Panarin is a major reason why. Panarin has really given him some picture perfect setups and also draws multiple defenders to him because how good he is. I’m not trying to knock on a Strome and I’m fine resigning him but when he is away from Panarin it’s not close to the same impact

I was one of Strome's biggest fans when he was with the Islanders. That being said, there were a few things that ruined his career with the Islanders.

He was fantastic his first two seasons (well the first one he got called up about midway through but you get the point). Strome was the second line center they were always missing that would be behind Tavares. It seemed as if Snow FINALLY hit on a top five pick.

Capuano ruined Strome. He would throw him on the fourth line, he got sent back to the AHL for a period of time, he would get thrown around to wing and center whenever Capuano wanted to. The rumor is that it was something with his work ethic, but I will never know for sure about that one. This really ruined his growth as a player. He was never going to then develop into anything from a NYI standpoint which is why he was dealt for Eberle who has worked out, but if Capuano was not such a moron Strome would have been a very solid player.

It seems as if he then went to Edmonton and never was a fit there either. To be fair though, his first two organizations were a complete laughing stock at the time he was with them. I think his skating holds him back from contributing on his own though. He certainly needs a solid player next to him in order to pick up the points, which is he is a point per game player with Panarin, why not just resign him?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I was one of Strome's biggest fans when he was with the Islanders. That being said, there were a few things that ruined his career with the Islanders.

He was fantastic his first two seasons (well the first one he got called up about midway through but you get the point). Strome was the second line center they were always missing that would be behind Tavares. It seemed as if Snow FINALLY hit on a top five pick.

Capuano ruined Strome. He would throw him on the fourth line, he got sent back to the AHL for a period of time, he would get thrown around to wing and center whenever Capuano wanted to. The rumor is that it was something with his work ethic, but I will never know for sure about that one. This really ruined his growth as a player. He was never going to then develop into anything from a NYI standpoint which is why he was dealt for Eberle who has worked out, but if Capuano was not such a moron Strome would have been a very solid player.

It seems as if he then went to Edmonton and never was a fit there either. To be fair though, his first two organizations were a complete laughing stock at the time he was with them. I think his skating holds him back from contributing on his own though. He certainly needs a solid player next to him in order to pick up the points, which is he is a point per game player with Panarin, why not just resign him?
I’m not knocking the guy. I just would like to see him do more even when on nights Panarin might be defended well and Strome needs to do more alone, I’m fine with keeping him. It just depends on what the contract is. Also the emergence of a chytil makes it tricky too who I think can be a 2C

Reactions: Sayba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad