Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders | 1/16/20

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Anthony took an idiotic penalty early in the third, and you know how DQ feels about that...
I watched the Islander broadcast (by CHOICE) and after Tony's goal they showed Ruff having a heart to heart with him. Tony was pointing and exclaiming and seemed to be defending the penalty and Ruff was like 'Yea son, definitely hear you're point, buuuuuut next time ya can't....' and Tony was like 'no way man! he came over and....' and eventually Ruff patted Tony's side, got the last word in, and left it.

Edit: Found the video posted earlier in the thread, thanks @cheech70

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I watched the Islander broadcast (by CHOICE) and after Tony's goal they showed Ruff having a heart to heart with him. Tony was pointing and exclaiming and seemed to be defending the penalty and Ruff was like 'Yea son, definitely hear you're point, buuuuuut next time ya can't....' and Tony was like 'no way man! he came over and....' and eventually Ruff patted Tony's side, got the last word in, and left it.

Maybe Ruff isn't the awful coach some of us think he is.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Maybe Ruff isn't the awful coach some of us think he is.

I would have patted Tony on the side and said everything is going to be okay son. It doesn't make his work with defensemen antiquated as raw meat in a mould.

Reactions: bl02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Still feel JG may have the toughest job (decision wise) down the stretch especially considering the three goalie situation. One of Hank or AG have to go. But you're right if we are within 4 points or so come the TDL not 100 percent sure Kreider gets traded.
Then if we DON'T trade him, then we HAVE TO sign him. Shit or get off the pot. Make a decision and stand by it. Good or bad. Can't get NOTHING for Kreids and he walks. That would be a shame.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If they have any intentions of keeping Kreider they must be talking to his agent now to see if they can get any break on $ or years. Once the deadline passes his agent holds all the chips.

not just to get a break but also to know what the price is...we as fans can guess, but the asking price likely forces the decision so I'd really hope that JG knows atleast the ballpark numbers.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Lindgren fined again. Can't complain about what he brings even if he has a few oh shit moments once in a while when he's defending a quick rush transition play in the defensive zone.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Look for Panarin to have a huge game Sunday against his former team. CBJ will be playing their second game of a back to back and 3rd in 4 days.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Look I like Strome and I’m glad he is having a good year statiscally he is having a good year but I think it’s fair to say that a Panarin is a major reason why. Panarin has really given him some picture perfect setups and also draws multiple defenders to him because how good he is
Granted, what you say is very fair. Strome has benefitted playing with Panarin. But don't discount Panarin has also benefitted playing with Strome.

For 4 straight years, two playing with Patrick Kane, The Breadman has had basically the same production each year. About a point per game. This year playing along side Strome, Panarin is on pace to score at least 40 more points than his average. So while Strome's production has increased, so has Panarin's. You can't discount this.

And in an interview after he scored 5 points,.. he was asked, why he's having such a good year, he said, "Nothing new. Playing the same as I was before."

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
A young 40-50 point middle 6 player at $3.25M this and next year and RFA in 2021-2022 would net a very solid 1st+ deal.

Georgiev will be gone mid next week at the latest. John Shannon and Larry Brooks both posted a tweet about next to nothing within minutes of each other. Gorton doesn't fan the fire unless there's a fire to stoke. I'd imagine if you're a team in need of a goalie ready to play lots of games, you'd do it ASAP and before the AS weekend so there's time for George to get settled in.

Reactions: bl02

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I thought Panarin went down too easy, and Kreider absolutely needs to avoid Varlamov there--you saw that developing at the hash marks. I'm okay with those calls.

I thought the Fox call was terrible and they missed a knee on Kreider. The Brassard call was weak too, and might have been a make-up for missing the Kreider knee.
Brassard call, I wanna address this because I haven't really seen it elsewhere

A play where a player gets pushed in the lower back while the puck is in the zone and goes down easier than is typical for players that are braced for a hit below the faceoff circles in the offensive zone

Well, just a bit earlier in the game Eberle went down on a lower back hit away from the boards, but a call was made because he happened to hit the net so it made more of an obvious impact to the refs. But, that is a hit/play that happens 20 times a game; hell, that play happens to Kreider alone 5 times a game. But, it was called then, so it had to be called later. It was keeping it even.

And that is ignoring the very obviously missed knee to knee that happened near moments before the penalty... where it happened along the boards between the blue lines, where the linesmen patrol and not the refs, and linesmen only call majors if completely necessary - so it is entirely possible, and I know for a fact that this happens, that the linesman mentioned a ref during stoppage that there was a knee to knee that could have been called... anyway...

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
10000000% agree. He kept putting pressure on the Islanders defense by forechecking.
There were a few young guys that got their first taste of playoff atmosphere hockey while they are already established (to a degree) NHL players (i.e. they aren't worrying about their play and can just go about their business)

Lindgren, Chytil, Deangelo, Fox all showed a very strong ability to rise to the occasion, adjust as necessary, match intensity, and really show up (putting Deangelo in might be necessary when contrasting to other names there, but he hasn't played in many *big* games in his short career).

People tend to really undervalue what competitive experience (i.e. playoff experience or playoff-esque) can do for development; not just as a skills development, but as a litmus test for both the coaching staff/organization and the player himself to let the player know where he is at as a player and even instill a level of confidence.

We saw it there last night for sure, and it was awesome

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Brassard call, I wanna address this because

And that is ignoring the very obviously missed knee to knee that happened near moments before the penalty... where it happened along the boards between the blue lines, where the linesmen patrol and not the refs, and linesmen only call majors if completely necessary - so it is entirely possible, and I know for a fact that this happens, that the linesman mentioned a ref during stoppage that there was a knee to knee that could have been called... anyway...

That's an Islander patented hit. The Islanders of decades ago did that constantly. They've always been a dirty, sneaky, rotten organization.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Buch is useless. Just finding a team to take him would be addition by subtraction. Give his salary to Kreider as a raise.
If you can package Buch and Georgiev or even those two plus Kreider then we should be able to net an EXTREMELY good prospect.

I'm not even a fan of trading Buch and I don't give a damn if we keep 3 goalies next year but I would absolutely do that trade for a top, near NHL prospect.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Look for Panarin to have a huge game Sunday against his former team. CBJ will be playing their second game of a back to back and 3rd in 4 days.
This roused the gambler within me. I've been avoiding the NHL mostly bc betting the NHL is a goddamn shitshow half the time.

I think I might be combining some football with the rangers though.

Reactions: egelband

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah, I don't disagree. It's just he emotional aspect of it. He's been ours since he was 19 and we've all followed him for so long, and he's an awesome bro. I will miss him. It will be hard to say goodbye.

Just like Mcdonagh, Stepan, MZA, Brassard, Hagelin, and Tanner Glass(hahaokjk!). Guys that made their bones here and left an imprint on the team but such is the case in a Capped league. Too much loyalty shown to the wrong players leads to Cap hell. Still a bummer though.

I’m kind of surprised Strome is getting so much love to resign. Look I like Strome and I’m glad he is having a good year statiscally he is having a good year but I think it’s fair to say that a Panarin is a major reason why. Panarin has really given him some picture perfect setups and also draws multiple defenders to him because how good he is. I’m not trying to knock on a Strome and I’m fine resigning him but when he is away from Panarin it’s not close to the same impact

Well the good news is Panarin ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I'll say it again. Don't underestimate a players ability to bring up his game level when playing next to an elite player. History is littered with players who haven't been able to do so. To me signing Strome would have more to do with Chytil's progression and less the fear of Strome's regression.

I fully support and agree with Quinn's decision to shelter Fox to not ask him to do too much as a rookie...but I really hope that in the second half of the season he starts getting challenged more defensively and some exposure on the pk. the kid is just so smart. i have no doubt that the kid will be good at both ends and on the pk given some time and experience.

Yeah it's the TOI factor right now. Quinn seems to like Fox at that 18 min mark and he smartly has him in a position for all 18 of those minutes to maximize his offensive leverage. I think if/when Fox goes 20+ minutes a night that extra time will come from the PK.

I want to see him on the same rotation as Zbad as much as possible on the PK. Fox's quick stick and intelligence would work wonders to spring Zbad for possible counter-attack SH chances.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->