GDT: Rangers @ Flyers | 7:00 PM EST | MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I really don't understand how we got to this situation with Hank.

Shesty was better than both the other two, so that made sense. But Hank and Georgiev were pretty much equals all season. It feels like we're trying to strong-arm him into retiring.

I don't very often watch player interviews at any point, but I seen Hank's from a day or two before the Islanders game and he was an absolutely defeated man. Said something along of the lines of seeing if there's a place for him here next year, or some similar sentiment.

It's f***ing hard to watch; for the best or not.
I saw that interview. It broke my heart. They only interviewed him because Shesty got injured and now will get a few games in. But it was so gut wrenching to watch. He now knows he's mortal.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't necessarily think they're trying to pressure Hank right now. Before the deadline? Maybe. I genuinely think that Quinn is playing whatever goaltender he thinks gives the team the best shot to win in any given game.

The next time Georgy loses I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Hank the following game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Agree with @Fitzy. There was an element of pressure to get him to waive his NMC before the deadline. Now? They're riding the hot hand. Hank is rusty and every game matters.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
AG plays tonight AND Sunday? That's alot of hockey but being under 25 helps with that. Need the wins and you roll with your number 1. Quinn doesn't want to put Hank in unless it's an emergency it seems....sadly, I'm ok with it
Quinn has been riding his goalies and not making a change until one of them has a stinker. Thing is Shesty and Georgie haven’t had a bad game in over month. If Georgie stinks it up tonight I’m sure he’ll turn to Hank for the next one.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
AG plays tonight AND Sunday? That's alot of hockey but being under 25 helps with that. Need the wins and you roll with your number 1. Quinn doesn't want to put Hank in unless it's an emergency it seems....sadly, I'm ok with it
Dude got like a whole month to sit when Igor got rolling. I’m sure he’s stoked and fully prepared physically to handle the workload.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I don't necessarily think they're trying to pressure Hank right now. Before the deadline? Maybe. I genuinely think that Quinn is playing whatever goaltender he thinks gives the team the best shot to win in any given game.

The next time Georgy loses I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Hank the following game.
Very likely. But it has to be a gut punch, that he is now 3rd in the pecking order, when he was King for years.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Two things...the Rangers needed to give Shesterkin a chance and to see what he could do at the NHL level. He clearly earned that callup.

Second is that the Rangers are close to making the playoffs and are playing the hot hand/best goalie and the reality is that Henrik is not that goalie any longer. I kinda hate it too but the simple fact is that he's not as good as Shesterkin or Georgiev at this point and the Rangers want to win

I think Lundqvist just figured he'd be the starter this year, then maybe transition to more 50 50 next year, etc. It all happened faster than he was expecting, but that's sports.

Perfectly said. I love Hank, he has been a warrior for this team but at this stage in his HOF career he is their 3rd best goalie. The Rangers owe it to themselves and to the fans to put the best team on the ice.

Reactions: ohbaby

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Two things...the Rangers needed to give Shesterkin a chance and to see what he could do at the NHL level. He clearly earned that callup.

Second is that the Rangers are close to making the playoffs and are playing the hot hand/best goalie and the reality is that Henrik is not that goalie any longer. I kinda hate it too but the simple fact is that he's not as good as Shesterkin or Georgiev at this point and the Rangers want to win

I think Lundqvist just figured he'd be the starter this year, then maybe transition to more 50 50 next year, etc. It all happened faster than he was expecting, but that's sports.
Yeah I don’t think expected would happen this fast. He didn’t expect Igor to emerge right away as the guy and for Georgiev to play like he has. I think Hank figured that Georgiev would be traded but realized that the Rangers want to keep the youngsters. Hank must know that this probably is his last year whether he retires or agreed to a trade is the question

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I mean, I don't think any of us actually expect to go deep in the playoffs if the team makes it. It's more about setting a goal and getting experience for our young players.

Kinda was thinking that right after I responded.

Win-win either way, that's why this season was also pretty cool, the experience will be huge for the development of the kids here.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Idk, i think that buch is playing ton right? If he is, thsn they get reinforcements, put chytil back at center, and we got some good lines going. Its winnable, but we need to at least split this series for our playoff chances

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Flyers Lines;

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - Hayes - Kenecny
Van Reimsydyk - Grant - Pitlick
Raffl - Thompson - Aube Kubel

Peovorov Nikanen
Sanheim Myers
Haag Braun

Hart

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
upload_2020-2-28_14-4-45.png

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I don't know why it is but the team just doesn't play very well in front of Henrik. It's been true for at least a few seasons now, going back even to 2016-17. His last game against Dallas he might've been the only player to show up in a Rangers jersey. And he gets pulled after 40mins. Georgiev comes in and gives up 1 on 6 shots... just like that Boston beat down, it wasn't an issue of goaltending.

I don't like that Henrik has sat for a month; I feel a lot of sympathy for him. At the same time, goalies are judged by wins, and he can't seem to get them with this team. I don't think it's all on him. I think Quinn hasn't done him many favors with the rotation and with the level of competition v Georgiev's going back to last season. I see the dilemma but I can't say it's been fun to watch.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know why it is but the team just doesn't play very well in front of Henrik. It's been true for at least a few seasons now, going back even to 2016-17. His last game against Dallas he might've been the only player to show up in a Rangers jersey. And he gets pulled after 40mins. Georgiev comes in and gives up 1 on 6 shots... just like that Boston beat down, it wasn't an issue of goaltending.

I don't like that Henrik has sat for a month; I feel a lot of sympathy for him. At the same time, goalies are judged by wins, and he can't seem to get them with this team. I don't think it's all on him. I think Quinn hasn't done him many favors with the rotation and with the level of competition v Georgiev's going back to last season. I see the dilemma but I can't say it's been fun to watch.
It seems like the team plays better for the better goalies. They were very good with Igor in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad