Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 3/26/13 | Derek Comcast!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Shout out to that final Powerplay unit. I thought it was cool of Torts to send them out there to give em a chance (and it was a nice slap in the face to Philly)

Throwing Kreider out there would have been nice too considering his PP work with the pack. If experimenting, experiencing and exercising is what Torts is concerned with, giving Kreider a chance to rip one much needed one timer on this team is something that really needs to happen.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Would like to see...

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Zuccarello-Miller-Callahan
Powe-Boyle-Asham

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
5-3 win.

Rangers get the first goal. Then give up a deflating 3 in a row. But they bust out the Pierre McGuire "hungry eyes" and stage a season-changing comeback.

A guy can hope. LGR.

Eh, so I was wrong on how the game would play out. But only off by one goal. :) Good effort tonight. Not trying to throw a damper on a good win, but now lets see that against a team that can actually play defense and doesn't have a headcase for a goalie.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I thought we scored some of our best goals all season such as the first Nash goal, the Richards PP goal, and Kreider's goal. If we can start seeing goals like those more often this team will finally be able to go somewhere this season.

Honorable mention to the finishing on Stepan's goal. I wish more of our players had his finishing skills in tight. Great shot on the backhand, albeit into an empty net, but you would be surprised how many of our players would bungle that.

Hopefully Gaborik can get on the board in our next game. 0 SOG is a disappointment from him.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Eh, so I was wrong on how the game would play out. But only off by one goal. :) Good effort tonight. Not trying to throw a damper on a good win, but now lets see that against a team that can actually play defense and doesn't have a headcase for a goalie.

One of the better calls I have seen, not that I particularly pay attention to them.
You got the score almost perfect, but more importantly you caught the flavour (sorry aboot the 'u', but I'm Canadian, so not sorry :) ) of the game.

Isn't Bryzgalov just the biggest letdown the Flyers could imagine? I used to trumpet the skills of Holmgren after his totally successful fast-track rebuild of his team, but the Flyers have not had a truly great goalie since the great Pelle Lindbergh (R.I.P.).
They will go nowhere until they get a goalie, and it is their own fault for being so arrogant, and lousy at judging talent.
All it takes is one fatal flaw, and you don't get a Stanley Cup, even though your team looks fantastic on paper.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Great win tonight, but even if we discount the fact that the Flyers stink (because they were desperate), still some concerns:

1. Power play still can't enter the zone, even on the one where we scored we wasted the first minute putzing around

2. We are not going to be a factor this year unless Gaborik starts playing better and gives us some more offensive options, or unless he is traded for an A-list player and either Zuc or Fasth step into his role.

3. Lack a killer instinct, we get up 3-0 in a game that could have been much worse for the Flyers (I thought Bryzgalov was the only reason it was 1-0 after the first, we had several glorious chances), and we sit back, two flukey goals of the sort we never get and it's 3-2.

4. Still nothing from Pyatt, why is he playing? If Asham plays like he has the last two games, no reason to have Pyatt on the team. I'd rather play Powe, he's great on the PK, even if he can't score.

Don't want to be too negative, but one line teams don't win in the playoffs. Love Hagelin-Nash-Stepan, but the Flyers bad defense hides that the other lines did not mesh well tonight.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
One of the better calls I have seen, not that I particularly pay attention to them.
You got the score almost perfect, but more importantly you caught the flavour (sorry aboot the 'u', but I'm Canadian, so not sorry :) ) of the game.

Isn't Bryzgalov just the biggest letdown the Flyers could imagine? I used to trumpet the skills of Holmgren after his totally successful fast-track rebuild of his team, but the Flyers have not had a truly great goalie since the great Pelle Lindbergh (R.I.P.).
They will go nowhere until they get a goalie, and it is their own fault for being so arrogant, and lousy at judging talent.
All it takes is one fatal flaw, and you don't get a Stanley Cup, even though your team looks fantastic on paper.

Flyers gave Bryzgalov way too much money for way too long based on one season in Phoenix, which we can all see was a fluke. Doing that in a cap league really messes up your ability to make trades/sign free agents, especially as I don't think there is any team dumb enough to take Bryzgalov off their hands with that contract.

Flyers are a team in trouble - their defense stinks as well, and they have no one in the pipeline, They have some talent up front that people would want in trades, but I don't think they can get fair value in return. Their best bet might be to blow up the team and get a lot of prospects/draft choices.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
What was that crazy statistic they announced near the end of the game? the Flyers only have 5 even strength goals in their last 17 games or something like that.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
What was that crazy statistic they announced near the end of the game? the Flyers only have 5 even strength goals in their last 17 games or something like that.

No.

..in 18!:laugh:

I heard a stat that the Rangers, since 2010, after leading after two periods are 63-0-3.

Is that true?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
As much as I stick up for Boyle, I'd be surprised if he's on the team two more years. Some pretty good talent is likely coming online soon.

Liked what I saw from Kreider tonight. Good puck pursuit and a little chippy as well. He has such an amazing shot. He just has to keep playing like this and he'll find the room to take that shot of his more often.

Miller makes mistakes, but he's gonna be a good one.

Don't take Nash away from Stepan.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Great win tonight, but even if we discount the fact that the Flyers stink (because they were desperate), still some concerns:

1. Power play still can't enter the zone, even on the one where we scored we wasted the first minute putzing around

2. We are not going to be a factor this year unless Gaborik starts playing better and gives us some more offensive options, or unless he is traded for an A-list player and either Zuc or Fasth step into his role.

3. Lack a killer instinct, we get up 3-0 in a game that could have been much worse for the Flyers (I thought Bryzgalov was the only reason it was 1-0 after the first, we had several glorious chances), and we sit back, two flukey goals of the sort we never get and it's 3-2.

4. Still nothing from Pyatt, why is he playing? If Asham plays like he has the last two games, no reason to have Pyatt on the team. I'd rather play Powe, he's great on the PK, even if he can't score.

Don't want to be too negative, but one line teams don't win in the playoffs. Love Hagelin-Nash-Stepan, but the Flyers bad defense hides that the other lines did not mesh well tonight.

The Rangers had the killer instinct to not sit on the 3-2 lead and make it 5-2.

That hasn't happened very often in recent weeks - hell, it hardly happened last season.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Bryzgalov may be one of the better Flyers, but that is sidestepping the issue.
He is not a cornerstone to build around, and that was the strategy by Flyers management. Throw in a major slump from a guy like Hartnell, and realization that a guy like Luke Schenn is a dud (perhaps screwed up by the Maple Leaf's typical abuse of young talent, or maybe he ain't that good anyway) and you have the Flyers right back where they have been for a long time....wishing they had that solid foundation of a true number 1 goaltender.

Something is going to give in Philly. I expect Laviolette will be gone before too long, but that's an easy one. Like Itshinaz states, they have to do more than that.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
The Rangers had the killer instinct to not sit on the 3-2 lead and make it 5-2.

That hasn't happened very often in recent weeks - hell, it hardly happened last season.

True, but that fourth goal was due to awful Flyers defense and a bad goalie (he should have known Nash has a tremendous reach, he's scored a lot of goals that way). They did sit back at 3-0. Also, great coaching move (LOL) by LaViolette putting out his 4th line against a line that's been toying with you all night.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Zuccarello-Miller-Callahan
Pyatt-Boyle-Asham
Powe/Haley

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Eminger/Hamrlik
Gilroy/Hamrlik

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Bryzgalov may be one of the better Flyers, but that is sidestepping the issue.
He is not a cornerstone to build around, and that was the strategy by Flyers management. Throw in a major slump from a guy like Hartnell, and realization that a guy like Luke Schenn is a dud (perhaps screwed up by the Maple Leaf's typical abuse of young talent, or maybe he ain't that good anyway) and you have the Flyers right back where they have been for a long time....wishing they had that solid foundation of a true number 1 goaltender.

Something is going to give in Philly. I expect Laviolette will be gone before too long, but that's an easy one. Like Itshinaz states, they have to do more than that.

Flyers made a big mistake - they grossly over-rated their talent and thought they were one player away from being a real contender (Pronger's injury didn't help), that's why they overpaid so much for Bryzgalov.

Don't think we're making the same mistake with Nash, you don't get many players of his ability unless you're picking at the top of the draft with no-brainers like Crosby and Malkin. We lost a lot of grit losing Dubi, Anisimov,Prust (who wasn't worth the money he got), but while it may not help that much this year, it will in the future when we replace those guys with the talent we have in the pipeline. I'm not close enough to New York to know if Nash is affecting team chemistry, but I'd still make that trade again in a heartbeat.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Best part of tonight was how we actually turned puck possession in the offensive zone into goals at ES. Utilizing the D inside the zone was the whole difference tonight vs the Panthers game. It's like we would have control with time and space down low but had nowhere to go against FLA. Tonight we stretched things out.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Callahan
Zucc-Miller-Gaborik
Whatevs...

Switch Gabby and Cally depending on if Gabby sucks that night or not (don't want to much suck on your 2nd line with Gabs and Beaver).

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
The way Mctruck fell, I called slewfoot right away. With Joe M agreeing with my analysis, I am 70/30 on yes to the slewfoot.
I don't automatically think it was on purpose though, might've somehow been accidental as well. McDonagh is very frustrating to play against, so I wouldn't really blame Voracek, the guy got hit with a puck in the face, I'd be pissed too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad