Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 3/26/13 | Derek Comcast!

Bardof425*

its a ****en emotional game.. **** happens.. some of you guys will never be satisfied with anyones game.. always has to jump off the deep end and magnify something.. he doesnt suck, the guy can skate protect the puck, bring a physical game (destoryed volchenkov the other right made him his *****) and is an amazing teammate.. a guy that would do anything for his team.. he has the right attitude.. stop nitpicking!!! its getting ridiculous.. every game theres an issue with someone boyle sucks.. miller still turning ove the puck to much, didnt look good..girardi blocks 5 shots,plays 27min tn, oh but he looks like he regressed from last year.. you guys are never satisfied.. boyle plays perfectly for what his role is on this team and id want him on my team any day of the week.. guy has the right attitude and can play in a role on his team.. i dont understand what your watching when he plays.. he gets way to much bashing on this team..

brad and gab should be getting it all.. bc almost 20m they get paid and they havent done anything amazing.. we played half the season already and tn was the first time brad did something memorable.. nitpick them, ripp them apart..

There's plenty of anti Richie and Gabby posts to go around. And I too am disappointed in their production. But, they have talent. If it doesn't start to translate into points and wins they will be moved. But they are at one big disadvantage on this team and that's the coach. His philosophy is over the top defensive, play away from the puck and in-game line adjustments. These are all detrimental to the offensive minded players.

But this feeds right into what Brian Boyle is supposed to be and he is still stinking it up. I read all off season from his supporters how he has good hands and that his big year was not a fluke. Some say he should be on the power play. It's a joke. He's a 4th line center at best and on many days AHL quality. And until Torts starts coaching him as such I will continue to beat the drum. But thanks for the advice.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Biron against Ottowa and Hank in MTL? Nice to beat the Flyers but I'll be happy if we can put down the sens and habs

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
There's plenty of anti Richie and Gabby posts to go around. And I too am disappointed in their production. But, they have talent. If it doesn't start to translate into points and wins they will be moved. But they are at one big disadvantage on this team and that's the coach. His philosophy is over the top defensive, play away from the puck and in-game line adjustments. These are all detrimental to the offensive minded players.

But this feeds right into what Brian Boyle is supposed to be and he is still stinking it up. I read all off season from his supporters how he has good hands and that his big year was not a fluke. Some say he should be on the power play. It's a joke. He's a 4th line center at best and on many days AHL quality. And until Torts starts coaching him as such I will continue to beat the drum. But thanks for the advice.

i got a quick question tho.. bc i feel the coach isnt the issue either, but how is it a overly defensive system when our d pinch in the offensive zone like no other, dz's bee joining the rush and basically playing a rover, the d closes the gap in the neutral zone... and our long stretch passes.. i've been around the game way to long and i dont think its an overly defensive system.. maybe at times it lacks creativity and torts wont tweak it.. but why should he.. hes won a cup coached 400 wins and 30 all time in coaches in NHL history with wins soo why should he have to change his system.. this is the pros they have to buy into it.. i just want to hear an explanation of how we play a defensive system..i am not saying this as a wise guy, wise ass but just want to hear someones analysis of our system throughly.. thanks!

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Much needed two points for us (not to mention hopefully a confidence boost for some guys who needed it), but the Flyers absolutely mailed it in last night. Yet another pathetic performance in a season of pathetic performances.

If I were a Flyer fan I would be livid at the effort made last night. Hartnell and Rinaldo are the only guys who showed any kind of compete level whatsoever.

*Bob Richards*

Still not thrilled with only taking 3 of 6 points in our last three games. Considering our upcoming match-ups between Ottawa and Montreal, I'd be happy with 1.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Not sure why everyone is so nervous about playing in Ottawa. We won Games 3 and 6 there last year in the playoffs, lost game 4 in OT (still pissed about blowing that 2-0 lead) and took it to a shootout this year.

It's not exactly Montreal

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
i got a quick question tho.. bc i feel the coach isnt the issue either, but how is it a overly defensive system when our d pinch in the offensive zone like no other, dz's bee joining the rush and basically playing a rover, the d closes the gap in the neutral zone... and our long stretch passes.. i've been around the game way to long and i dont think its an overly defensive system.. maybe at times it lacks creativity and torts wont tweak it.. but why should he.. hes won a cup coached 400 wins and 30 all time in coaches in NHL history with wins soo why should he have to change his system.. this is the pros they have to buy into it.. i just want to hear an explanation of how we play a defensive system..i am not saying this as a wise guy, wise ass but just want to hear someones analysis of our system throughly.. thanks!

Simple answer for you: The Torts haters on this board who specifically piss all over his system or claim that it stifles offense, don't actually ever provide legitimate points to back up this part of their argument. They just ***** and moan in a blind rage about it after losses. He preaches two-way play. But that is a far cry from "stifling" offense.

The people who complain about his system don't understand hockey. They don't understand that dumping and chasing is just a fact of life in hockey. It happens - and especially so on teams that don't have the offensive skill or creativity to carry the puck into the zone; or when you play against teams that play a neutral zone pressure/trap like system. They don't understand that this team doesn't have the puck skills outside of Nash, Richie when he's clicking, and maybe a few others like Step, Cally, and Hags to be able to consistently carry the puck into the zone, so they revert to the safe - and smart - hockey play of dumping it in (would you rather see more stupid JT Miller-style turnovers that lead to odd-man rushes? Lets get real). They don't understand that what they call "grinding" in the offensive zone is really just a form of cycling - which has been around for years, and which virtually every team does to try to maintain puck possession, force an error, and capitalize on it. They don't understand that Torts' focus on neutral zone play helps creates offense -- if you shut down a teams' transition or pressure them in ways that create turnovers, you get puck possession, get the puck deep in your offensive zone, and *gasp* can even get odd-man rushes. They don't understand that when Torts says that he "tries to stay out of the way of offense" he isn't saying that he doesn't coach offense, but just making the point that his defensive minded system does not get in the way of offensive creativity. They don't understand - or have understandably chosen to black out from their memory - that a huge part of why this team struggled for over a decade recently was a complete lack of dedication (up and down the organization - from GM to players) to a defensive-minded game; so they want to go "open it up" a bit more - essentially meaning switch to a run and gun system that we simply don't have the personnel for.

There are plenty of things to be upset with Torts about as a coach: constant line juggling, breaking up the Hag-Step-Nash line, his yo-yo game with Kreider earlier this year (he should have just been sent down to the AHL earlier and stayed there for a while), the complete lack of a power play, his apparent affinity for certain players which means he holds some people accountable but not others, his trust/inner circle issues which means it takes just one or two mistakes to make it into his dog house but it takes quite a while for players to get on his good side (for instance: I don't think Kreider deserved to be in the NHL in the beginning of the season with how he was playing, but if he was going to be slotted into the lineup some of his mid-game benchings didn't make a ton of sense; same goes for Torts taking forever to trust Stralman, or play Eminger/Gilroy over Bickel, etc), or his abrasive attitude with the media (though personally I like this, and think it isn't as raw and unscripted as some others do).

But the system complaint has just become a meme on these boards and is the go-to complaint for people who don't know what needs to change or what the real problems are, but feel like flailing about at something and the coach and his system are an easy target. This is because it means brighter days are ahead if we just change the coach - and it has nothing to do with the players not performing how they should or the GM putting together a flawed team (things that are arguably harder to fix, or more out of "our" control).

Understand - though I'm saying things that are down on the players, I'm not saying the team is a bad one. I actually have quite a lot of optimism for what they can achieve. Just that the things that need to be fixed are more like slight roster tweaks, one or two additions/subtractions, 60 minute efforts, and certain guys at least living up to expectations.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Next stop, Ottawa. Hear rumors that the Hobbit is taking a break filming with Gandalf to meet with us up there.. Can someone confirm this?
Henrik Lundqvist (twitter) @HLundqvist30

haha awesome tweet!!!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Team needs to overcome MTL. Damn I am sick of losing there...

Montreal is starting to falter a bit. Those little bodies are getting tired. They are definitely beatable, as long as you don't touch them. Most of those guys fall over from a slight breeze and get an enormous amount of powerplays from it. :shakehead

As for Ottawa, we're really, really, really overdue for a losing streak. Every time our guys look like they're about to break down, something wacky happens and they manage to pull out a point or two. Still not sure how we do it...but I think we've used up all the good karma available for the next decade. If you guys bring it to my Sens they way you *****slapped Philly around, then it'll be an easy win for you (at least, it should be).

Yes, winning a cup, winning a Jack Adams and getting 400 wins is quite impressive. No denying that one at all. However, there's one rather large caveat to that - most of those accomplishments came during the dead puck era, before the NHL effectively rewrote the rulebook and completely changed the game. Many of the coaching styles used during that time aren't really effective in today's NHL. The handful of people who continually trumpet that Cup and Jack Adams award seem to conveniently forget about that.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but he isn't the second coming of the messiah, either.

He's playing it safe by having a foundation based purely on hard work and playing along the boards, and adding catch phrases like 'jam' and 'swagger' (and the occasional temper tantrum) to sway the masses. The offensive side of his system still needs improvement (namely, getting the guys to move their feet more, being less predictable, and using the freaking center lane of the ice more often).

bootscraper

Jul 22, 2012
New Jersey
Was the system changed for this game ?

I don't know what the hell happened at the Philly game, but it was probably the best game I've seen them play. Tape to tape passing, taking it in the zone, no dump chase grind jam ?! It was down right beautiful. I could have sworn I saw a little "Safe is Death" last night. I hope they permanently change to whatever they had last night. What are your thoughts fellas ?

Apr 10, 2012
probably could've gone in the thread with the rest of the discussion about the game

didn't look like the same kind of style we're used to seeing. not as much dump and chase. guys were carrying in

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
No. The system worked this game.

This. So many of you people don't get NHL hockey. Dump and chase is always used when you don't have room to carry the puck in. The reason is when you don't have space you can 1) dump and chase, at least you don't turn the puck over in the neutral zone or 2) try to carry in anyway and very likely turn the puck over in the neutral zone often leading to breaks the other way.

So stop it. There was never and will never be a time when a coach tells his team, if you've got the room to carry I don't care dump and chase anyway.

Just stop and think for a second. This guy has won a cup. He's won a coach of the year award. It's not like he doesn't know how to play the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorado*

We have our way with Phi because
1: none of their d men are particularly mobile and good at moving the puck
2: Bryz sucks and also sucks at moving the puck so we are able to sustain offense .

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Philly is a fairly soft team to play against and the Rangers can absolutely kill teams that play like that.

Where they've been struggling is against teams like Ottawa who may not be the most skilled, but they stay up in the Rangers faces a lot and don't give them much time. This tends to put the Rangers on their heels and you can see them stop moving their feet and a lot of guys just not getting into the dangerous areas because they're too busy worrying about the players in the way.

I mean, I'm kind of making a generalized statement here, but I think it's just that when the Rangers find themselves with a little space, they can be deadly. They just have not been good at making that spaces for themselves when another team is playing them tight. I feel like that's why they have sucked so bad against Pittsburgh lately, they just slow down and can't make room against teams like that.

So...it'd be great if they did figure some of that out and realized how to keep things moving and open up gaps in the defense, but I don't think this game is exactly a surefire indicator that they figured it out. I think we'll see in the next two games where the team is at in terms of confidence and offensive prowess.

I think the new lines might have helped a bit though

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The system really didn't matter. Philly is terrible. Gave us all sorts of time and space all over the ice and throughout the neutral zone. Their D never gapped up to break up passes, Bryz was lackluster and the Rangers had time and space all over the ice. Not trying to discredit the win, just stating objectively that Philly is hot garbage defensively. They must've had at least 8 turnovers in their own zone in the 2nd period alone.

I'm not sold on the team until they can consistently score. Popping in 5 goals against easily one of the worst defensive teams in the league is a good start but not the end all IMO.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Still not thrilled with only taking 3 of 6 points in our last three games. Considering our upcoming match-ups between Ottawa and Montreal, I'd be happy with 1.

Is it 3 of the last possible 6? Or is it 7 of the last possible 10? Statistics can be used to say anything.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Edit: Whoops wrong thread. Delete please, mod.

Edit2: Oh, man. Sneaky mod merged the threads and totally confused this guy. :dunce:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2