Pre-Game Talk: Rangers - Flyers (11/28/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but honestly, I'd rather demote Hagelin and keep Duclair there. Hagelin generates all his offense off of the cycle, and while he's played real well with Hayes and Duclair, it's abundantly clear he's the least talented player on that line. I think Stempniak would be a much better fit there, and Hagelin-Moore-Fast would be a great 4th line.

I could deal with that for now, but it's still not an ideal situation. We have exactly three 4th liners in this whole organization and the coach is playing them. Well, there's Ryan Malone, but he's even slower than Glass. That's our option.

AV isn't completely innocent here. I was upset with him last night but I'm upset over him matching Staal with Stamkos all night, and putting Glass on the PK, which he sucks at.

As far as the options on the 4th line, AV has none.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My ideal fourth liner would be Sidney Crosby.

I don't think playing a 3rd liner on the 4th line is a problem.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
AV's bench usage last night was absolutely awful.

Then again, everything about that game was bad, including the play of the Lightning.

Oh, and you know what? I think JT Miller would be a good 4th liner. It would give him a place to cut his teeth and work on his defensive game in a low pressure situation in terms of offense.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My ideal fourth liner would be Sidney Crosby.

I don't think playing a 3rd liner on the 4th line is a problem.

Don't you know that 4th liners aren't allowed to provide offense? From what I'm told they are only allowed to be defensively responsible and physical. If you're too good for the 4th line but there's no room in the top 9 might as well be a scratch or in the minors.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That's not enough ice time for Hagelin. I said it in another thread, but this is the player that sets the pace for a team that's speed based. I want him out there for at least 12 ES minutes every game.

Yes! Hags is nonstop and puts lots of pressure on the opposing defense. He definitely needs and deserves top 9 minutes .

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Dominic Moore, Brian Boyle, Derek Dorsett, and Dan Carcillo are 4th line role players. Tanner Glass is useless.

This. The difference betw last year's 12th forward and TG is remarkable. TG can't catch a pass. He has like zero stick skills. Dorsett could at least play hockey.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't you know that 4th liners aren't allowed to provide offense? From what I'm told they are only allowed to be defensively responsible and physical. If you're too good for the 4th line but there's no room in the top 9 might as well be a scratch or in the minors.

4th liners can provide offense, but 15-20 goal guys shouldn't be wasting down there, unless we have other guys who will provide the same, which we don't.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
AV's bench usage last night was absolutely awful.

Then again, everything about that game was bad, including the play of the Lightning.

Oh, and you know what? I think JT Miller would be a good 4th liner. It would give him a place to cut his teeth and work on his defensive game in a low pressure situation in terms of offense.

The JT Miller point is actually a very good idea. He does play a rambunctious type of game and on the 4th line it could be his way of getting back and sticking.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Hagelin - Hayes - Duclair looked good; Put Stempniak in for Glass and call it a ****in day.

This I would love. I could more understand the 'some guys are 3rd/4th line players' mentality if we rolled three lines and the 4th played sparingly, but since the 3 and 4 lines get almost the same minutes we may as well put the most skilled players out there and give all 4 lines the best chance to score and defend.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I love Duclair as a prospect but he has 1 goal in 16 games...

Oh no you didn't! This is a Tanner Glass bashing thread!

Thing is; there has to be a scapegoat, the minute Glass is scratched the discussion will be about whether Allen/McI should play over Humwick or Moore. That being said, Glass sucks. But calling for AV's head over it is silly imo.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Are we playing tonight or Satirday?

31849-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-meme-IfmC.gif

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Oh no you didn't! This is a Tanner Glass bashing thread!

Thing is; there has to be a scapegoat, the minute Glass is scratched the discussion will be about whether Allen/McI should play over Humwick or Moore. That being said, Glass sucks. But calling for AV's head over it is silly imo.

I don't think it's so much the need for a scapegoat as it is a desire to ice the best team possible. Glass, from my observation at least, seems to drag down both his line and the PK and I'd like to see what Moore and Fast, as well as the PK, look like with a capable player who can do anything. To put it another way, when you have a guy playing who by all accounts imaginable looks like a major downgrade from Carcillo and Dorsett, that's kind of problematic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but honestly, I'd rather demote Hagelin and keep Duclair there. Hagelin generates all his offense off of the cycle, and while he's played real well with Hayes and Duclair, it's abundantly clear he's the least talented player on that line. I think Stempniak would be a much better fit there, and Hagelin-Moore-Fast would be a great 4th line.

Rasp- I agree on Hags and the 4th line.

One thing though, I don't think Stempniak is a left winger and that causes some concern for AV, neither is Fast really who should play RW...

Down the roard I would like to see:

Kreider-Step-MSL
Zucc-Brass-Nash
Miller-Hayes-Duclair
Hagelin-Moore-Glass/Stempniak/Fast (the later two as options in the POs)

Maybe they are too inexperienced as of today, but down the road but still somewhat in the near future I think JT Miller could become a very good fit next to Hayes and Duclair. Miller is fast to get in on the puck on the forecheck. He can make plays with the puck. As a natrual center, he also helps out big man Hayes a lot in the transition game.

People will object against Hagsy on the 4th. I don't know, when we win its because we can ice a functioning very deep roster. I would be more concerned about making units that work than going out of my way to get players into roles they "deserve". Moore's line also get important minutes, its not like he wouldn't be used...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hags should only be getting fourth line minutes if there's 3 lw's that are better than him. There aren't right now, not my any definition. It's a waste to play him on that line when he can be providing offense on the third line and being the vet guiding two rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad