Pre-Game Talk: Rangers - Flyers (11/28/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
I think its early enough that he's trying things out (well other than Glass, he's got a hard on for him).

This sounds very understandable, but we kept saying this in 92-93. That team with all that talent just could not play consistent at all for that season(still baffling after all these years) and let's hope we are not witnessing the same thing. When Leetch mentioned this last week or so about that team and this team, it definitely put up the flags

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You can call it ridiculous, its up to you, but believe me its the least suprising thing ever and everyone should have known he would play and I would have been very suprised if in any other coach in this league would've "not" played him

Absolutely accurate.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
This sounds very understandable, but we kept saying this in 92-93. That team with all that talent just could not play consistent at all for that season(still baffling after all these years) and let's hope we are not witnessing the same thing. When Leetch mentioned this last week or so about that team and this team, it definitely put up the flags

My thoughts exactly. Didn't think about the comparison until Leetch brought it up.

AHB*

True, but think about where we were last year at this point. Same exact type of thing. Not to downplay any of these poor decisions by AV, because it's still unacceptable to make such obvious errors, but don't you think that maybe we could see a team similar to last years. Mediocre through December then it all clicks?

There are glimpses of this team clicking earlier this year as well. The ups and downs suck but we're coming off two shutouts, including a commanding effort against the top team in the East. Then we played another top team and outside of Glass, played them fairly even. I'm not happy about the loss or the bipolar play of our squad, but I do have faith that come end of year we'll be firmly entrenched in the playoffs and on top of our game.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Maybe it's part of the plan to let Duke play a few games at the time? Maybe AV don't believe that the transition from college and 60 games to the NHL and 82 + playoff and more pressure is the best way to go for Duclair? If AV didn't believe he was good enough he would be sent down to the AHL? I don't believe AV is mishandling him, I think he has a plan.

peanutbuttacallytime

#therightway
Dec 19, 2006
It's a joke at this point. AV is hurting this team.

it's quite mind boggling. A third line of Duke/Hayes/Hags and 4th of Fast/Moore/Stemp is simply a better hockey team. Why are we not putting our best team on the ice? I hate conspiracy theories but something is seriously wrong here.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Maybe it's part of the plan to let Duke play a few games at the time? Maybe AV don't believe that the transition from college and 60 games to the NHL and 82 + playoff and more pressure is the best way to go for Duclair? If AV didn't believe he was good enough he would be sent down to the AHL? I don't believe AV is mishandling him, I think he has a plan.

That line has been the best line the past 2 games, this isn't the time to give Duclair a break.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think everyone expected Glass to play but we didn't expect him to play EVERY game. Since the start of the season we've seen Miller and Malone get scratched and sent down, Fast sent down and then recalled and scratched, and all of Hayes, Duke, and Stemp get healthy scratched. Glass can't sit one game while all those other names take a seat at least once?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Anyway, lineups aren't set yet for tomorrow according to AV. Only guarantee is Cam in goal.
@NYRangers: AV says @ctalbot33 starts in goal vs. Flyers tomorrow & @HLundqvist30 gets the call Saturday, rest of lineup to be decided pre game tmw #NYR

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
True, but think about where we were last year at this point. Same exact type of thing. Not to downplay any of these poor decisions by AV, because it's still unacceptable to make such obvious errors, but don't you think that maybe we could see a team similar to last years. Mediocre through December then it all clicks?

There are glimpses of this team clicking earlier this year as well. The ups and downs suck but we're coming off two shutouts, including a commanding effort against the top team in the East. Then we played another top team and outside of Glass, played them fairly even. I'm not happy about the loss or the bipolar play of our squad, but I do have faith that come end of year we'll be firmly entrenched in the playoffs and on top of our game.

No doubt, especially with the injuries we have had. The one thing that makes me a little weary is the play at home this season. Can we duplicate the way we played on the road last season? I think the point is if we can run off a nice little winning streak, then all of this is moot. But that 92-93 season, we were saying the same thing. Like the 92-93, this team is very talented with world class goalies and coaches who have been to the SCF. I'm hoping it's just the injuries and working in of some the young players

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No doubt, especially with the injuries we have had. The one thing that makes me a little weary is the play at home this season. Can we duplicate the way we played on the road last season? I think the point is if we can run off a nice little winning streak, then all of this is moot. But that 92-93 season, we were saying the same thing. Like the 92-93, this team is very talented with world class goalies and coaches who have been to the SCF. I'm hoping it's just the injuries and working in of some the young players

Injuries played a huge role in that season. Jeff Beukeboom was the only D who played more than 60 games. Leetch played just 36.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I believe we'll be better as the season goes on, but the difference between the team this season and last season is that last season's team was a lot more effective and talented. The main differences are the second defensive pairing and the fourth line.

The Top 9 is pretty much the same with Hayes and Stempniak replacing Richards and Pouliot, and it pretty much comes out to a wash. Goaltending is the same. First defensive pairing is the same and 3rd defensive pairing is the same.

The fourth line was one of the best fourth lines in the league last season, but now its arguably the worst. Glass is the worst player in the NHL and Fast is overwhelmed at the NHL level. Maybe he's not ready, but he also doesn't seem that talented either, so I think it might just be a case of him not ever being an NHL player even as he gets more experience. Either way, it comes out to a terrible fourth line. Our fourth line was a big key in our playoff run last season, but unless there are changes in the personnel(Glass and Fast out), it just can't improve because it has two players who aren't good enough to play in the NHL on that line.

The second defensive pairing also looks like it won't be anywhere close to where it was in the postseason last season. Boyle's definitely going to help the PP this season, but I just can't see him having as big of an impact as Stralman. Stralman was a very good Top 4 defenseman in the playoffs, and his play helped us not have to throw Mac and G out there for 30-35 minutes every single game against other teams top lines. Staal just seems to be regressing as a player. He's always been inconsistent and he had stretches of play last season where he was very good like the Pittsburgh series. That doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Its 80% bad games and 20% good games from Staal, at this point. The second defensive pair seems to be a big downgrade from last season.

Where are the improvements from last season going to come from that makes up from the clear downgrades from last season? A better Rick Nash is all I can think of. Maybe Stepan has a career year?

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Injuries played a huge role in that season. Jeff Beukeboom was the only D who played more than 60 games. Leetch played just 36.

There was but there still was a lot of talent on that team,basically the same team that won the PT the year before. I was more worried about the philosophical approach that Neilson had and the clashing with Moose he had on that approach

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm having a tough time believing AV doesn't see what we see.

Compare this year's LW to last.

Boyle (2013-14): 10:28 ES TOI/GP, 23.4 Off Zone St%
Glass (2014-15): 8:35 ES TOI/GP, 41.3 Off Zone St%

Clearly he thinks there's something that falls short about this year's 4th line.

But there was no chance he was coming out of the lineup vs. the Flyers. Last season Dom Moore was a healthy scratch so both Dorsett and Carcillo could play against the Flyers. :help:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Clearly he thinks there's something that falls short about this year's 4th line.

But there was no chance he was coming out of the lineup vs. the Flyers. Last season Dom Moore was a healthy scratch so both Dorsett and Carcillo could play against the Flyers. :help:

I bet if AV were an HF poster he'd be part of the "Toffness" crowd. :help:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I think he does see what you see. I don't think he cares as much about it as you do.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I think everyone expected Glass to play but we didn't expect him to play EVERY game. Since the start of the season we've seen Miller and Malone get scratched and sent down, Fast sent down and then recalled and scratched, and all of Hayes, Duke, and Stemp get healthy scratched. Glass can't sit one game while all those other names take a seat at least once?

Yes, because, you see, Glass, he, well, fills a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad