Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers 04/07/18 - That’s All Folks

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Played well? Chytil had some great looks and did well off the puck, and Lias was good defensively today.

Did you think they were bad/awful?

Nope. Just hardly noticed them. Did they have any good scoring chances?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're complaining about them losing McD who they got in exchange for a garbage overpaid Gomez. You love Kreider who they drafted when he'd only played in highschool prior to the draft. They tried to trade up to draft Keller who has quickly shown himself to be an elite talent. They tried to trade up to draft Pettersson who has shot up his stock since the draft. They got Chytil in the late first who has already jumped probably a dozen spots in a redraft - people in here knew so little about him at the draft that they were whining about his pants.

They can and have identified talent over and over. Other teams are competent and try to win too, it's not easy. They got Pionk for nothing and have only been leaning on him while also playing forgettable fringe guys like Sproul and O'Gara because the D for the end of the season has been beyond horrible in terms of personnel. Pionk will be better or be leaned on far less next year.

I know everyone is upset about this season, but holy hell.
We keep hearing about how they tried to take Keller and Petersson, but then they took Andersson.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We keep hearing about how they tried to take Keller and Petersson, but then they took Andersson.
They had a pick to take Andersson and never had a pick to take either Keller or Peterson. They didn't pass on either for Andersson. Keller wasn't even the same draft - our first pick was 81OA that year.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They had a pick to take Andersson and never had a pick to take either Keller or Peterson. They didn't pass on either for Andersson. Keller wasn't even the same draft - our first pick was 81OA that year.

They passed on Mittelstadt, who will be better than Andersson, and everyone in hockey knew it except for Gorton.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Thankfully this season has ended. Hope bolts and bruins get bumped out in the first round for better value in the picks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They passed on Mittelstadt, who will be better than Andersson, and everyone in hockey knew it except for Gorton.
Mittlestadt is outrageously overrated. He may end up better than Andersson but if you're going to honestly argue anyone who made a draft pick that looked less than perfect in hindsight is bad at evaluating talent, literally no GM is good at evaluating talent.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
you have to admit though, McIlrath handled his entire busting process with grace and character.

That's another one everyone knew on draft day, but because Andersson will be an NHL player, it's different.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mittlestadt is outrageously overrated. He may Mittelend up better than Andersson but if you're going to honestly argue anyone who made a draft pick that looked less than perfect in hindsight is bad at evaluating talent, literally no GM is good at evaluating talent.

Mittelstadt has 4 points in 5 games. Imagine this place if Chytil did that.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jesus some of y'all really need to stop channeling your depression and crushing pessimism into sports

I've always been an optimistic fan when given reason to be.

This team is awful and I don't understand the confidence in the guy who's supposed to fix it.

Reactions: Ori

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Again revising history, I see.

Lots of draft guys/scouts and NHL teams had LA above CM on their board.

Andersson's average rating on every reputable mock draft was 16th. You're the one revising history.

Imagine you if someone used 5 bad games from Kreider or another player you like to say they're bad.

5 games is a meaningless sample whether it plays to the point you're arguing or not.

It's a small sample but so are Chytil's 8 games, and he's penciled in as the future 1C.

But that's not good enough for Mittelstadt who's still overrated after exceeding expectations at every level. It's just mental gymnastics to try to tell ourselves Andersson was a good pick at 7OA.

And now I'm supposed to do cartwheels over another 7OA.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Imagine you if someone used 5 bad games from Kreider or another player you like to say they're bad.

5 games is a meaningless sample whether it plays to the point you're arguing or not.

Kreider isn't bad, but he is overrated.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am excited about next season. Rangers had to do this, the cupboards were really bare. I think we also need a very good coach in Hartford they need to be a playoff team every year. I am desperately hoping for Chicago and Oilers to win tonight.

Too bad we did not tank more aggressively like Detroit and Ottawa.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Andersson's average rating on every reputable mock draft was 16th. You're the one revising history.

It's a small sample but so are Chytil's 8 games, and he's penciled in as the future 1C.

But that's not good enough for Mittelstadt who's still overrated after exceeding expectations at every level. It's just mental gymnastics to try to tell ourselves Andersson was a good pick at 7OA.

And now I'm supposed to do cartwheels over another 7OA.
I never said Chytil was a future 1C or said anyone should do cartwheels over Lias. Chytil's hype is far less than Casey's and comes from succeeding in the AHL at a very young age while CM's comes from having a sub ppg college freshman season and having sick dangles in high school.

If you think Mittlestadt's college season exceeded expectations I'd wonder why you had such low expectations for it because it really wasn't very good, and not at all in line with the "best prospect in hockey" hype he's been getting.

In all likelihood, each of the 3 will be NHLers. CM can very well end up being a superior player to Andersson, but that doesn't mean Gorton can't evaluate talent.

Reactions: E-Train

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am excited about next season. Rangers had to do this, the cupboards were really bare. I think we also need a very good coach in Hartford they need to be a playoff team every year. I am desperately hoping for Chicago and Oilers to win tonight.

Too bad we did not tank more aggressively like Detroit and Ottawa.

I see what we did at the 2017 draft, the deadline, and I see the plan at the 2018 draft.

I'm not sure I see the plan for how we get from now, to when those assets are ready. I don't wanna blow for the next 3-4 years just for the sake of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad