Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers 04/07/18 - That’s All Folks

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
well, now its up to Edmonton and Chicago to wash some of this bad taste out
Connor is the only one that can get us to the top 8. have no faith in chicago at all but maybe Winnipeg doesn't show up? Don't really think they have much to play for.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"At least 4 seasons" is such hyperbole. We really don't know what's going to happen. Rosters change so much over time, so many players become available that you never thought would, etc. Compare the Rangers roster and situation from the 2009 playoffs and compare it to the 2012 team. Are the Rangers going to be a Stanley Cup contender next year? No. Is the defense going to be fixed for next season? Probably not across the board. But just because we're turning over the roster doesn't mean this team is going to be a trainwreck for the next half decade. We have a solid base of young players to build off and a lot of assets to work with. I'm not concerned with being a disaster for years upon years.
Who's our #1 defenseman going forward?

Adam Boqvist? Four years away.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
@Machinehead

For the Rangers Franchise, when was the last time they did anything on such a grand scale

I didn't mention whether or not I thought it was a great trade deadline, I said deadline for the ages as far as Rangers are concerned. More due the the players moved and direction taken.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and jas

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

We don't NEEEED a #1 guy. It's a luxury but there are only so many of those in the league and fewer play to that standard consistently.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well, this season sucked. Brings back bad memories of pre-lockout stuff. Glad it's over.
Glad its over as well but just me personally not even close. If we draft well this upcoming draft and even 2019 draft there is much much more hope in the future pipeline.
With a little luck maybe even get a top 3 pick which could be franchise changing.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At least Andersson and Chytil were pretty good this afternoon. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
Although Stionk took the KZC dream line and just annihilated their corsi.

Him being our 1RD for the next decade will be lit.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The last couple of weeks this team has regressed... From bad to horrendous. Defense has been a disaster. Major rebuild on the D is needed.

I agree, this team is further away than I originally thought.

If we hit on Dobson/Bouchard and someone like Hajek pans out this defense has some future hope. Next year will most likely be more growing pains on the d but no reason in two/three years this defense can't have many YOUNG bright spots.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Did you think the Rangers #1 defenseman in the 2012 playoffs would be Ryan McDonagh in May 2009? We have NO idea who we may acquire, who we may draft, and who may become available. We picked up a top 4 defenseman in Anton Stralman literally off the scrap heap.

Regardless, this offseason we'll be an extremely important one so we better hope the front office nails it across the board.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Can't wait for HFNYR to crash when AV gets fired.

this too

dadea68e1812ff8ff4f92fb65f0d8e93.jpg

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Jesus, the mood in here.

This team will be in the playoffs again in 2 years imo. McDonagh will be an overpaid second pairing player somewhere else by then. He was great for at time here but he's not that player anymore even getting softer minutes with better players in TB, it's clear as day.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Did you think the Rangers #1 defenseman in the 2012 playoffs would be Ryan McDonagh in May 2009? We have NO idea who we may acquire, who we may draft, and who may become available. We picked up a top 4 defenseman in Anton Stralman literally off the scrap heap.

Regardless, this offseason we'll be an extremely important one so we better hope the front office nails it across the board.

If they do pick up good players, they'll trade them and sign Pionk to a 20 year deal.

This regime can't identify talent. And it's the same regime - Sather hand picked Gorton.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
As always it's been fun reading and commenting on this forum.

At least now I won't have to get up in the middle of the night to watch hockey for a few months..

Thanks guys and gals - you are a special breed..

Reactions: Siddi and egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Thank you! These things never go the way that seems obvious years out. Ever. Everyone take a breath. Gorton is a good GM and he will handle this well imo.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Jesus, the mood in here.

This team will be in the playoffs again in 2 years imo. McDonagh will be an overpaid second pairing player somewhere else by then. He was great for at time here but he's not that player anymore even getting softer minutes with better players in TB, it's clear as day.

I think they'll challenge for a playoff spot, but I wouldn't pencil them in for one,

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
How did the return suck? Howden and Hajek are very good prospects, who I've both seen a decent amount of. They get a better return of the Yandle deal. Just because we have perceptions of what we think value is doesn't mean that's actually what the market value is.

Brady Skjei has been very good since the trade. Shattenkirk will be healthy. ADA will get minutes. Hell, they may even trade for another dman that we never expected to be available. Dude, I'm telling you, just be patient. I'm just as frustrated as you, but be patient.

People need to have a little faith

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fitting end to a disappointing season I guess. Hopefully they locked AV out of the lockeroom or better yet, leave him in Philly.

Reactions: Ori

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If they do pick up good players, they'll trade them and sign Pionk to a 20 year deal.

This regime can't identify talent. And it's the same regime - Sather hand picked Gorton.
You're complaining about them losing McD who they got in exchange for a garbage overpaid Gomez. You love Kreider who they drafted when he'd only played in highschool prior to the draft. They tried to trade up to draft Keller who has quickly shown himself to be an elite talent. They tried to trade up to draft Pettersson who has shot up his stock since the draft. They got Chytil in the late first who has already jumped probably a dozen spots in a redraft - people in here knew so little about him at the draft that they were whining about his pants.

They can and have identified talent over and over. Other teams are competent and try to win too, it's not easy. They got Pionk for nothing and have only been leaning on him while also playing forgettable fringe guys like Sproul and O'Gara because the D for the end of the season has been beyond horrible in terms of personnel. Pionk will be better or be leaned on far less next year.

I know everyone is upset about this season, but holy hell.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I don't have a lot of faith in the management that failed to see Vigneault's blatant flaws and dug up excuses and pedigree to protect him after OTT. Until he's fired, he's still the coach. I wouldn't rule out Gorton saying "We played well and had a good record after the deadline. AV did a great job with what he was given".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad