Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils: Two More to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Boy the Panthers fans must be pissed at us. They legit would have had a chance 3 points down 2 games in hand but hey maybe they shouldn't have lost to the oil tankers and ottawa just recently

They only need to pissed at their own team. Talk about choking it away down the stretch.

Reactions: nyrage

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Girardi, Mac, Miller, Stepan and Nash are laughing at this debacle right now. Jeff Gorton should be gone for this mess he has created!

Trade away significant core players for futures and picks like everyone wants -> Get criticism for not replacing the core players with NHL ready players just as good, much younger AND picks -> Team plays poorly all year -> Gorton is to blame for the bad season.

When tearing down a team, what exactly do you expect is going to happen?

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
That was pretty hard to watch last night. Just got to remain hopeful for what the future brings. The Spooner goal was pretty much the only bright spot. Chytil with a good play in the NZ and then a slick pass from Vesey to Spooner. You know say what you want but I think Jimmy Vesey has improved quite a bit since the deadline.

Last edited:

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Honest question: Who is Larry David?

ImmenseHairyHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Honest question: Who is Larry David?

Creator of Seinfeld. Has had a show called Curb Your Enthusiasm since the early 2000s. The show is partly autobiographical and completely unscripted (the actors are told only what points to touch on). Hilarious stuff. Give it a shot! My blurb doesn’t do it justice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We were pretty damn awful last night but hey the team is already been depleted and take Zucc and Fast out of the lineup t00---it's kind of to be expected. We need the best draft positioning we can get. If the Islanders beat us tomorrow they will pass us. If we follow up by losing in Philly and Chicago can put up two wins in their 3 games they will pass us too. Then we'll be 8--which IMO is a lot better than 10 or 11.

I don't know if I'd play Henrik in either of the last two games. He's one win above .500 and he's not getting to 30 wins. There was nothing he could do last night. We were dominated over the first two periods. The game was way too easy for the Devils. The Isles have ripped us apart this year and IMO I'd have Ondrej in net for the next round of that.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I honestly thought that Desharnais being summoned to Newark suddenly from his dinner at Applebee's and his arrival would change the entire complexion of the game.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Trade away significant core players for futures and picks like everyone wants -> Get criticism for not replacing the core players with NHL ready players just as good, much younger AND picks -> Team plays poorly all year -> Gorton is to blame for the bad season.

When tearing down a team, what exactly do you expect is going to happen?
My only complaint is the returns he got for Stepan, Mac, and Miller. I'm actually mad the Rangers won as many games as they did post deadline.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The return for Stepan would have been great if we drafted an elite first line level talent at 7. The trade in itself was good. While we drafted a good glue type player who will play for us in all situations very similar to Stepan in that regard actually, we did not get elite talent for Stepan. Funny that the reason Stepan isn’t an elite player is he can’t skate. Lias is an even worse skater, so there similarities continue. Has a long way to go to improve there but he has time. I do have hope for DeAngelo though. I liked that part of the deal.

The return for Mcdonagh is very strong. Howden and Hajek are huge talents and the picks are what you’d want. The Miller for Namestnikov part of the deal is a complete loss for a rebuilding team. Just a horrible move by Gorton to include him. And make no mistake it was a separate part of the trade both Gorton and Yzerman confirmed that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Considering where the Coyotes are in the standings, I don’t think Stepan is laughing at anyone.
We are only 4 wins ahead of them.

Maybe peep the 'Yotes record since the new year, or since Raanta, Chychrun, and Hjalmarsson have all been healthy.

That team is going to make noise next year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We are only 4 wins ahead of them.

Maybe peep the 'Yotes record since the new year, or since Raanta, Chychrun, and Hjalmarsson have all been healthy.

That team is going to make noise next year.
They will make noise regardless.

Either they succeed make a lot of media noise, or they suck and everyone is surprised because of their high expectations.

They're in that special spot where people will focus on them a lot.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The return for Stepan would have been great if we drafted an elite first line level talent at 7. The trade in itself was good. While we drafted a good glue type player who will play for us in all situations very similar to Stepan in that regard actually, we did not get elite talent for Stepan. Funny that the reason Stepan isn’t an elite player is he can’t skate. Lias is an even worse skater, so there similarities continue. Has a long way to go to improve there but he has time. I do have hope for DeAngelo though. I liked that part of the deal.

The return for Mcdonagh is very strong. Howden and Hajek are huge talents and the picks are what you’d want. The Miller for Namestnikov part of the deal is a complete loss for a rebuilding team. Just a horrible move by Gorton to include him. And make no mistake it was a separate part of the trade both Gorton and Yzerman confirmed that.

It's hard to say.

Sure, it sucks we didn't draft an elite talent at #7, but the Lias pick allowed us to take a big swing on Chytil that is looking very promising.

Without that #7 pick, I'm not certain Gorts gambles on Chytil. If we only had one first, it had to be a sure thing. With gaining that #7, we were able to successfully double dip. Chytil, ten days away from being eligible for this upcoming draft (and likely would've been top-10), is like gaining two top-10 picks from the 2017 draft.

Sure--in retrospect, we could've taken a bit more of a risk on the #7. Vilardi, Suzuki, Liljegren, and Mittelstadt..some of those may have been flashier picks. Rangers supposedly really liked Makar and Pettersson. But they had to revisit after they were selected, and they went for more of a sure thing with the top 10.

Our pool desperately needed it.

As for Miller, I wasn't a fan of that move. Still, Namestnikov looked similar, so if you consider it as Miller for Nams+2nd that could be a 1st, that looks like a potentially good move for us. Nams' 2-way play was something we needed. Unfortunately, Miller fit in well on TBs top line and Nams is lagging. But let's see what hapens.

Look at where we were a year ago.

Through trade, signings, and draft, we added Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Hajek, DeAngelo, O'Gara, Pionk, Lindgren, Bereglazov, Bigras, Sproul, Lettieri...all in the last 12 months. Never mind that Virta, Ronning, and Gettinger have even had some promising seasons.

Our pool is looking way better.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The reason for DD51 was late last night:

Carpiniello: Difference between Devils and rebuilding...

8) The Rangers got off to an unusual start before the game even started … Cody McLeod, who was supposed to play, came down with sharp abdominal pains and was sent to a hospital to determine if it was appendicitis or kidney stones or whatever. David Desharnais would replace him, but Desharnais wasn’t at the arena, and when he got the call at home he left immediately and hit traffic (of course). He came through the tunnel to the bench at some point late in the second period and played one shift in the period, then five in the third. “I was at home,” he said. “The traffic was really, really bad … but [stuff] happens sometimes.”

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we lose our last two the Islanders will pass us and we'll finish 9th and Chicago still could realistically pass us as well--they have three games left and a couple wins by them along with us losing those 2 and we'll be at 8.
That's exactly what I came up with. Difference between 8th and 10th could be huge. Either way, I believe we hit the lotto! We WILL BE in top 3.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

The only thing I disagree with you is that Lias as a skater is worse than Stepan. He is not very good but he is better than Stepan. Being said that, I imagine how much worse Vilardi is as a skater, that being the reason he dropped in the draft.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Only team Panthers fans should be mad with is their own.
Yeah their own "fans". My cousin (visiting me in Florida) attended last night's Nashville\Panthers game to root AGAINST the Panthers for the sake of his Devil's. Gotta hand it to him, that's more loyalty than I would have shown, and MUCH MORE than the 10,000 empty seats he told me there were. Are you kidding me? Where is the support? Feel for the Panthers, really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad