Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils: PRESIDENTS' TROPHY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Zipay is such a damn annoying beat writer. his main thought about the Rangers winning the Presidents Trophy is "it puts more pressure on the Rangers than last year, high expectations now" instead of you know being happy they clinched home ice etc etc

I think expectations were already sky high because they went to the finals last year, Steve. There was always going to be more pressure because of that

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Why were they mad?

they said "it's a rivalry, every game is going to be like this, you'd be saying the same if it was the other way around"...

To which I responded "I'd be incredibly embarrassed if the Rangers took 7 penalties and 10 shots on goal over 2 periods, so no"...

Of course, everyone then went on a rant that we only have one cup in 21 years... blah blah blah

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
If we are going to win the cup, we will have to win on the road. However, this guarantees every game 7 in our building. In game 7, having the last change and being the 2nd player to put your stick down in the faceoff circle is huge. Also having the seventh player in the stands is huge. Congrats and go get the cup

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sleep is for the weak.

Haha these Yanks don't realize the sacrifices we make to keep up with US sports. ;)

But it's all worth it. When I work early, I sleep at 7 PM, wake up at 1 AM, watch the Rangers and head to work afterwards. swing shifts and nightshifts are easy haha

darko

Feb 16, 2009
But it's all worth it. When I work early, I sleep at 7 PM, wake up at 1 AM, watch the Rangers and head to work afterwards. swing shifts and nightshifts are easy haha

When I'm on night shifts I get home and sleep for couple hours on the couch, watch the game and then go to bed. Afternoon shifts are easy. Dayshift are the hardest but at times I can rock a stream at work. For me 7PM games start either 9am or 11am (depending on daylight savings).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When I'm on night shifts I get home and sleep for couple hours on the couch, watch the game and then go to bed. Afternoon shifts are easy. Dayshift are the hardest but at times I can rock a stream at work. For me 7PM games start either 9am or 11am (depending on daylight savings).

Know all about that too, man. Huge Sharks fan (Rugby Union) and when they play in NZ (8/9 AM) or Australia (11AM/noon) it's also early games for me I have to work my day around. But those are just 1 game a week. That's easy :D

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agreed

Also, you get the sense that Lou laid into them pretty hard in the 2nd intermission. It was a different team in the 3rd.

I got the sense that he was encouraging the goonery. It wasn't until the ref went over to the bench did it stop.

I've always found the entire Devils organization to be the epitome of petty, and it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if Moon Face Lou told his players to try to take a Ranger out. Their fans (all 9 of them) seem to enjoy Ranger defeats more than Devil victories.

Three Stanley Cups and they still act like whiny babies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I got the sense that he was encouraging the goonery. It wasn't until the ref went over to the bench did it stop.

I've always found the entire Devils organization to be the epitome of petty, and it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if Moon Face Lou told his players to try to take a Ranger out. Their fans (all 9 of them) seem to enjoy Ranger defeats more than Devil victories.

Three Stanley Cups and they still act like whiny babies.

Ironically, 30 years ago Lou Lams sat me down and gave me a lecture about respecting opponents and not raising my fists. I was an 11 year old goon. ;)

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Besides winning last night the best part was watching the faces of the Devils when they raised their sticks and got booed.

Imagine being a Devils fan. A team with 3 Stanley Cups in 20 years and if they moved to another city tomorrow nobody would notice. I almost feel bad for them, almost....

Anywho. Great win last night. Good for Talbot to start in net the night they won the President's Trophy. A trophy the Rangers would not have won if not for Talbot's play when Hank was out.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When is the Presidents Trophy presented? Tomorrow before the game or do they do it after the regular season ends?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Besides winning last night the best part was watching the faces of the Devils when they raised their sticks and got booed.

Imagine being a Devils fan. A team with 3 Stanley Cups in 20 years and if they moved to another city tomorrow nobody would notice. I almost feel bad for them, almost....

Anywho. Great win last night. Good for Talbot to start in net the night they won the President's Trophy. A trophy the Rangers would not have won if not for Talbot's play when Hank was out.

yep... very few fans outside of NJ

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
yep... very few fans outside of NJ

I always wonder why the Rockies franchise chose such a saturated market to move their team to. The Devils have a decently sized fan base thanks to their success, but they aren't getting much out of Flyers-land in South Jersey, and have to compete with two teams in what should be Devils fan central in Central and North Jersey. (Although, I've literally never met an Isles fan from NJ) And without a deep history, they probably aren't pulling any fans from New York. That said, I knew quite a few Devils fans in high school (you can see Philly from the hill next to my high school, so they obviously owned my town) and as far as I can remember I was the ONLY Rangers fan. I know of one girl I graduated with that likes the Rangers but that's only because of the guy she married.

I would love to see the actual dynamic and geography of the fanbases of the NYC-area NHL teams. Amazing that the NHL would be the only league to stick 3 teams in the NYC Metro. With the Yankees/Mets and Jets/Giants it's pretty easy and obvious.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Oh, and aren't we so glad we have Tanner Glass to prevent the Devils from gooning it up against us in a meaningless game for them? The fear he must strike into the hearts of the opposition. Lucic and Marchand must be shaking in their skates!

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Glass laid quite the hit on Gelinas in the 3rd though- Gelinas looked shocked thereafter. No need to pay 1m> plus for that but it was a great team play.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Glass laid quite the hit on Gelinas in the 3rd though- Gelinas looked shocked thereafter. No need to pay 1m> plus for that but it was a great team play.

Some guys are going to sit the next couple of games with everything locked up. Sheppard is going to get some real looks out there. Let's just hope that he forces AV's hand with a couple points. It's so frustrating that the Rangers could roll four lines with a 4th of Sheppard-Moore-Fast and AV just kills that possibility so his buddy can skate around with his head up his ass.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Some guys are going to sit the next couple of games with everything locked up. Sheppard is going to get some real looks out there. Let's just hope that he forces AV's hand with a couple points. It's so frustrating that the Rangers could roll four lines with a 4th of Sheppard-Moore-Fast and AV just kills that possibility so his buddy can skate around with his head up his ass.

You have to keep thinking that AV knows this guy and is just waiting to push his button at the right time. Like, NOW for instance.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Right before that on the same shift he also came back and leveled a Devils player in the Rangers slot who was about to tee up a shot. It was actually a very good and well timed, effective hit!

Glass hasn't been playing real bad lately but he's still not a great NHL hockey player. I don't think it's a fluke that Sheppard easily outscores him in a handful of games with the Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad