GDT: Rangers @ Devils - 7 P.M. - MSG/MSGSN/NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Don't love Hughes with Smith, it's going to limit his ES ice time, I think.

But it's a preseason game, I'm fine running out whatever
The way they are treating him this preseason I suspect that he will come in at 4/5 among the D in ES. I think he and Bahl will be pretty close.

They probably will ramp his minutes up as the season progresses and if stumbles, which I suspect he will, they will just roll them back.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wonder how Hamilton feels about being on PP #2 after a 22 goal 74 point season.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
OK Lindy you win I'm hyped for a preseason match

1696436982767.png

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If we blow up Quick tonight, what are the chances that experiment could be over even before the season starts?

This really has the feels of when Marty Biron was taken out behind a shed after 3 games in 13-14.
Maybe it's better to let him have a shutout in the preseason so he gets a job and we can wreck him when it counts?

Dougie doesn’t strike me as someone that would give a shit. He got paid already anyway, doesn’t impact his pockets.
Once the games start these guys aren't thinking about salaries...they still all want to score and produce. And if you're really a competitor, you always want to be the go to guy. Business doesn't effect that.

I'd be more troubled by a guy that didn't care honestly.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Maybe it's better to let him have a shutout in the preseason so he gets a job and we can wreck him when it counts?

Once the games start these guys aren't thinking about salaries...they still all want to score and produce. And if you're really a competitor, you always want to be the go to guy. Business doesn't effect that.

I give it a few games and I expect they will revert to stacking a first unit.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
When did this game get moved to NJ? Wasn't it supposed to originally be at MSG?

Either way, just picked up a pair of tickets for tonight.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

It’s just another imaginary problem. Dougie will be getting plenty of PP time and will be one of our leading minute getters, if not number 1.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So the last game with the NYR had a bit of extra pace and even a bit of contact and effort. With full lineups will be curious if this game is close to regular season or they all decide to go easy since they don't have a real game for a week or so. Also, Holtz at RW3 is obviously a thing for now.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So the last game with the NYR had a bit of extra pace and even a bit of contact and effort. With full lineups will be curious if this game is close to regular season or they all decide to go easy since they don't have a real game for a week or so. Also, Holtz at RW3 is obviously a thing for now.
I think you see a more relaxed atmosphere with mostly regulars playing.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
As much as I want Luke to be LD2 and get paired with Marino, I think it's smart to let him earn that as the season progresses. There will be situations, either through injury or game script, where he will have an opportunity to play higher.

Would love to see Nemec get another chance to make his mark but he's pretty clearly next man up on defense. Honestly he might be higher on the depth chart than Miller, who has looked pretty bad. Miller might be the day-to-day 7th D that travels with the team, but if there's an extended injury or whatever we might see Nemec up sooner rather than later.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I give it a few games and I expect they will revert to stacking a first unit.
We have a lot of instances were we're saying "give it a few games and it will revert"

Luke's pairing, Dougie's PP, Mercer 2nd line 3rd line, Miller, Smith, Nemec....

I hope that isn't a sign of a bad start... perhaps it's just a sign of constant change for this season? I don't know, but it seems odd to me that there are all these moving parts with one of the most stable lineups we've had since pre-Kovalchuk. It almost seems like the staff might be overcomplicating things.

But on the other hand, that's exactly what preseason is for... experiments...

I suppose?

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I like spreading out the two units because the Devils don't have an ideal PP1 regardless. Give both units the best of what you've got and play them each for a minute.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like spreading out the two units because the Devils don't have an ideal PP1 regardless. Give both units the best of what you've got and play them each for a minute.
It's not a bad idea but you know in practice it won't work out that way. Any PP with Jack will get the first billing and the majority of the time.

You just know that's how it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad