GDT: Rangers @ Devils - 7 P.M. - MSG/MSGSN/NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Took my two year old to his first game. He was loving it until the goal horn went off. Of course as he’s calming down, Luke scores 30 seconds later lol. All in all an awesome experience and we’ll definitely be back next year for a regular season game.

We only stayed a period but holy hell is Trouba a scrub ****bag. Taking runs in the preseason, especially on a respected vet like Toffoli. I can’t believe no one has given him a stray elbow or spear. I guess the Rangers are the real losers since he is so overpaid and average at best. Just an embarrassment of a player.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Other than his penalty, Smith did a decent job.

No real issues with how anyone played although Luke is still making some not great mistakes. Hopefully that improves pretty quick.

Can tell that Holtz is working really hard off the puck and stuff which is great and he’s making some smart plays but I’m having somewhat of a hard time seeing that much upside watching him. Doesn’t look out of place though and he’ll have lots of time to show himself.

I agree, you can see he is working hard and trying to compete out there, but idk, it just seems like he's "missing something". We'll see what happens.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't hate the beetles...I just think they're incredibly overrated.
The Beatles are legitimately amongst the greatest songwriters in history. I'm not sure the average person realizes how much of their music permeates literally every single aspect of our culture. Often times I'll point out that music playing in a commercial or a children's show is actually a Beatles song and people had no idea.

Many of their songs are also extremely inventive, unique, and complex from a harmonic, structural, and rhythmic/timing perspective. Their most ubiquitous/popular songs may sound like kids music or bubble gum pop, but that's what makes the complexity all the more genius...it doesn't sound sophisticated even though it often is.

The problem is not that they are overrated. It's that people get sick of the constant exposure and attention paid to specific people/things and then label them as overrated as a result.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
The Beatles are legitimately amongst the greatest songwriters in history. I'm not sure the average person realizes how much of their music permeates literally every single aspect of our culture. Often times I'll point out that music playing in a commercial or a children's show is actually a Beatles song and people had no idea.

Many of their songs are also extremely inventive, unique, and complex from a harmonic, structural, and rhythmic/timing perspective. Their most ubiquitous/popular songs may sound like kids music or bubble gum pop, but that's what makes the complexity all the more genius...it doesn't sound sophisticated even though it often is.

The problem is not that they are overrated. It's that people get sick of the constant exposure and attention paid to specific people/things and then label them as overrated as a result.

I'll say this - and I'm not comparing the Beatles to the Ramones in terms of talent. Not at all. But something similar occurred to me.

I heard all the catchy/radio Ramones songs growing up (Sedated, Blitz, etc.). I (surprisingly late in life) listened to one of their albums for the first time (with the other non-popular songs). And I thought briefly... "man they sound like everyone else". Then quickly realized "no, everyone sounds like them".

So I think that's what happens sometimes with the Beatles. Your point at the end is probably where i've come to. They're idolized by many. But you could also say that about all the previous Rock N Rollers (Elvis, Bruce).

Good insight - thanks.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Trouba is a big stupid idiot. Boarding a fellow vet player in a freaking preseason game which didn't even help his team. Threw hits at McLeod and Lazar later in the game and missed both. The guy is a loser.

Someone used Bing's new AI image generator to make a picture of Trouba elbowing the Twin Towers. I thought "not funny man!..... okay that's funny"

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Trouba is a big stupid idiot. Boarding a fellow vet player in a freaking preseason game which didn't even help his team. Threw hits at McLeod and Lazar later in the game and missed both. The guy is a loser.

Someone used Bing's new AI image generator to make a picture of Trouba elbowing the Twin Towers. I thought "not funny man!..... okay that's funny"
The non-called boarding by scumbag Trouba was probably triggered by Bahl's hit on Lindgren.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It legit shocks me that Trouba continues to go unpunished for his antics. He’s a scumbag, and I’m not taking about just in the context of hockey. He tries to intentionally injure people, and that makes him a piece of shit person as far as I’m concerned.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It legit shocks me that Trouba continues to go unpunished for his antics. He’s a scumbag, and I’m not taking about just in the context of hockey. He tries to intentionally injure people, and that makes him a piece of shit person as far as I’m concerned.
Ya, one would think ref's would be on the lookout, and obvious boarding calls would not go uncalled.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Translation : I'm going to be a b*tch about it like every modern-day NHL player that can't handle seeing clean hits on their teammates and feel the need to white-knight them.
I can't lie we should appreciate strong hard hits as Devils fans. Scott Stevens won us some big games with those hits... but for Trouba it worked ONCE against the Penguins and not since. Now he just injures and runs people and his team doesn't respond. He's an 8 million dollar dumb hockey player that leaves his team with no cap space. The Devils have Siegenthaler and Marino for the price of Trouba and I would take that 10 times out of 10.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'll say this - and I'm not comparing the Beatles to the Ramones in terms of talent. Not at all. But something similar occurred to me.

I heard all the catchy/radio Ramones songs growing up (Sedated, Blitz, etc.). I (surprisingly late in life) listened to one of their albums for the first time (with the other non-popular songs). And I thought briefly... "man they sound like everyone else". Then quickly realized "no, everyone sounds like them".

So I think that's what happens sometimes with the Beatles. Your point at the end is probably where i've come to. They're idolized by many. But you could also say that about all the previous Rock N Rollers (Elvis, Bruce).

Good insight - thanks.

OK, as a non-musician but big classic rock fan of a certain age, my take:

I have a saying I use with my youngest who is the biggest music fan of my three boys: "The Beatles are everywhere". Even 50+ years later (starting with 1970 when they ceased to function as a unit). Up until the 1980s they weren't everywhere. Their songs were not available for commercials and they basically only existed on what was then called AOR radio and to the extent your local TV station or cinema showed Yellow Submarine or Help or Hard Day's Night. John didn't tour. George toured once. Paul toured but until 1976 didn't play any Beatles songs live and even when he did it was sparse. Four I think in his big 1976 tour. Then it slowly started to change. I'd say John's murder was the first moment. All of a sudden the Beatles were front page news again. Then George had All Those Years Ago which for a minor radio hit was played a ton on MTV. Then you had the posthumous John album Milk and Honey which was unusual back then and a bit of a curiosity. Then finally in the late 1980s Nike got a hold of Revolution for an ad. George complained but what else is new.

As media expanded so did the Beatles profile. With DVDs you could get all their movies. Finally. Their fight with Apple Music helped as well. In 1989 Paul finally started to embrace his past even if George could never deal with it and Ringo just wasn't capable at the time (he was a semi-functional alcoholic). Then the people my age started to move into leading roles at ad firms and in movies and TV. We all grew up with the Beatles. Not quite first generation but in the 1970s and 1980s they were still THE BEATLES to just about every DJ and music personality which sort of stamped them in the collective consciousness of folks who are now in their 50s and older.

So now, you have the Beatles in spots that I'm not even sure the users of the idea even realize it's the Beatles. Example, our local library had a a summer reading program for kids that was called something like "Reading Altogether Now". No way that was coincidence. Wendy's had a "strawberry fields" salad a couple of seasons ago. No way that was coincidence. Check any town map in the US where development is still continuing. There will almost certainly be a Penny Lane. There's one in my town. Sometimes you see the font or the colors from something like the Love show or the day glow Let It Be poster used in other graphics. It's there if you know what you are looking at. Their music has seeped into movies and TV. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 featured a George song as did the TV show This Is Us. Another George song in the movie Goodfellas. All You Need is Love in Love Actually. That recent Yesterday movie only exists because they thought there would be enough interest in Beatles music 50 years later. There have been a number of commercials that have used newer versions of Beatles songs made modern and more like a commercial jingle.

I can understand why someone who is more interested in listening to aggressive music might find them uninspiring. Same for someone who like rap. If you don't know who their contemporaries were you would not get just how amazing they were at the time. It's like the Godfather. My kids think it's a slow movie. They can't beat to watch 2001. To slow and boring.

In another 100 years the Beatles will be consigned to music history books for the most part, but whatever service delivers music will still have them available and any history of the 1960s will be incomplete without them. On some level they will be like classic music is viewed today. Important and still heard at times.

I'll add @guitarguyvic for reference since he commented earlier.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In another 100 years the Beatles will be consigned to music history books for the most part, but whatever service delivers music will still have them available and any history of the 1960s will be incomplete without them. On some level they will be like classic music is viewed today. Important and still heard at times.

Good post, but 50 years later, young people still do like the Beatles. Yes rap is a now big, and pop music today is much different, but the Beatles are still big.

My point is, I'm not sure the Beatles(or much of the classic rock artists of that time) will be consigned to music history books. Definitely could still them being prominent in another 50 or 100 years. Especially given how short lived anything popular now is.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I have a saying I use with my youngest who is the biggest music fan of my three boys: "The Beatles are everywhere". Even 50+ years later (starting with 1970 when they ceased to function as a unit). Up until the 1980s they weren't everywhere. Their songs were not available for commercials and they basically only existed on what was then called AOR radio and to the extent your local TV station or cinema showed Yellow Submarine or Help or Hard Day's Night. John didn't tour. George toured once. Paul toured but until 1976 didn't play any Beatles songs live and even when he did it was sparse. Four I think in his big 1976 tour. Then it slowly started to change. I'd say John's murder was the first moment. All of a sudden the Beatles were front page news again. Then George had All Those Years Ago which for a minor radio hit was played a ton on MTV. Then you had the posthumous John album Milk and Honey which was unusual back then and a bit of a curiosity. Then finally in the late 1980s Nike got a hold of Revolution for an ad. George complained but what else is new.

As media expanded so did the Beatles profile. With DVDs you could get all their movies. Finally. Their fight with Apple Music helped as well. In 1989 Paul finally started to embrace his past even if George could never deal with it and Ringo just wasn't capable at the time (he was a semi-functional alcoholic). Then the people my age started to move into leading roles at ad firms and in movies and TV. We all grew up with the Beatles. Not quite first generation but in the 1970s and 1980s they were still THE BEATLES to just about every DJ and music personality which sort of stamped them in the collective consciousness of folks who are now in their 50s and older.

So now, you have the Beatles in spots that I'm not even sure the users of the idea even realize it's the Beatles. Example, our local library had a a summer reading program for kids that was called something like "Reading Altogether Now". No way that was coincidence. Wendy's had a "strawberry fields" salad a couple of seasons ago. No way that was coincidence. Check any town map in the US where development is still continuing. There will almost certainly be a Penny Lane. There's one in my town. Sometimes you see the font or the colors from something like the Love show or the day glow Let It Be poster used in other graphics. It's there if you know what you are looking at. Their music has seeped into movies and TV. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 featured a George song as did the TV show This Is Us. Another George song in the movie Goodfellas. All You Need is Love in Love Actually. That recent Yesterday movie only exists because they thought there would be enough interest in Beatles music 50 years later. There have been a number of commercials that have used newer versions of Beatles songs made modern and more like a commercial jingle.

I can understand why someone who is more interested in listening to aggressive music might find them uninspiring. Same for someone who like rap. If you don't know who their contemporaries were you would not get just how amazing they were at the time. It's like the Godfather. My kids think it's a slow movie. They can't beat to watch 2001. To slow and boring.

Wow. Nice wall of text. @Guttersniped would be proud. :eek3:

Ooh... two digs in one sentence. I'm getting better at this trolling thing :)

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Good post, but 50 years later, young people still do like the Beatles. Yes rap is a now big, and pop music today is much different, but the Beatles are still big.

My point is, I'm not sure the Beatles(or much of the classic rock artists of that time) will be consigned to music history books. Definitely could still them being prominent in another 50 or 100 years. Especially given how short lived anything popular now is.
I was going to respond similarly. I’ll also add that there’s no need to qualify their greatness in the context of their time. Fifty years later…there’s no group churning out dozens of timeless songs that are both popular and musically sophisticated. Devilsblood is right. They will remain prominent and considered among the greats in all of music history so long as a record of their music exists.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was going to respond similarly. I’ll also add that there’s no need to qualify their greatness in the context of their time. Fifty years later…there’s no group churning out dozens of timeless songs that are both popular and musically sophisticated. Devilsblood is right. They will remain prominent and considered among the greats in all of music history so long as a record of their music exists.
My one qualification would be, as that generation the first to really explore that genre of music, they enjoyed the fruits of first. The options were seemingly limitless. Now, it's hard to do anything that hasn't already been done.

It's not coincidence how much great rock music was made then, with so little being made now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Guess we're done talking about the preseason...you guys might want to try to look for the Thread about Nothing sometime, these are better discussions here and in the team thread about off-topic stuff than that thread's been getting lately :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad