Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ devils -- 4/18/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
1. Birthday boy Zibanejad. Because 1+1, GWG, and it's his birthday.
2. Georgiev. Played a solid game, 2nd goal was savable, but otherwise he was solid (and that 2nd goal was a great shot).
3. The kids. Could make a case for all of 'em. Kravtsov got his first goal, Laf scored a beauty, Kakko stood up for Laf, got a point and also took one for the team to get us that game winning PP. And I guess Chytil was there as well...

What is concerning: yesterday we dropped a 4-0 lead. Tonight we dropped a 3-0 lead. That's unacceptable, and Quinn needs to reflect on this. This can't happen anymore.

Those things happen to every team.

Reactions: egelband

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Today may have been a better indication of how the lines look against tougher opponents. I thought each line except for the 4th line had one player that wasn't really playing up to expectation today.

Buch-Zib-Kreider. Kreider isn't where he needs to be yet. And Zibby is till not 100% Zibby, but ok.
Panarin-Strome-Blackwell. Blackwell blew a few tires. He just didn't look as sharp as he needs to be to play with those two. He's been better. He wasn't terrible, but more plays died on his stick than normal.
Laf-Chytil-Kakko -- that line has more trouble than other lines at breaking out under pressure. Breaking the d zone with possession. In some ways it's because I think what Kakko may need on his other wing is someone with speed who knows how to create space. Right now, far too often, the puck goes up the wall to either Laf and Kakko and they're happy to just get it out of the zone. They're not enough puck support. And neither Laf or Kakko have the kind of speed that opposing D respects. So there's not a lot of time and space to make a play that keeps possession.

I think what should be tried is putting Kreider with Kakko and Chytil. And putting Kravtsov up with Buch and Zib. The issue of course is, can you put Laf with Howden and Rooney -- and I don't know that you can. But i feel like moving Kravtsov up and Kreider down would help the top 9. It may create other issues. But in games against teams with better D and structure we may need to look at this alignment.

Krieder is a blackhole at this point. He isn't playing well anywhere.

No matter where you slot him, he is going to give a tenative low intensity effort.

He doesn't fight for the puck at all along walls. Doesn't create space and rarely uses his speed.

The only place to put him is the 4th line largely because he can simplify his game.

In all honesty though, he needs to sit a game or two.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

No matter where you slot him, he is going to give a tenative low intensity effort.

He doesn't fight for the puck at all along walls. Doesn't create space and rarely uses his speed.

The only place to put him is the 4th line largely because he can simplify his game.

This was his best game in a while too.

Reactions: mrmel329

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004

Kreider and Trouba might end up being be the worst contracts in Rangers history.

Reactions: NYRangers16

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
EzSYYs6VEAkNRg8

K'Andre made a couple of mistakes that stood out but like... :dunno:

Good thing Blackwell is here to save Kravtsov.

These comedic charts are always a highlight.

Reactions: pld459666

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers now have the same GF/G as they did last year and are ranked 1 higher (4 vs. 5). Unless we're drawing a lot more penalties we're a better 5 on 5 team offensively this year.

We also have a higher winning percentage after 45 games (.578) than we had last year after 70 games (.564).

At the 45 game mark last year, we were 22-19-4, a winning percentage of .533

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Kreider and Trouba might end up being be the worst contracts in Rangers history.

Krieder is easily worse. Trouba, despite having some gaffs ocassionally, works his ass off. He is usually stable on the backend.

But, Krieder I still think can be moved. He is not a bad player.

I think a big issue is that he doesn't fit with perimeter skill guys. He is expected and needs to do all the boardwork himself. On top of that he doesn't have the hands and vision to setup those skill players. His skillset is grind and attack the net.

I've said before if he was on a line of hard nose, hard forechecking, two way linemates? He would be awesome.

But, thats not what the Rangers are trying to become.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I don't disagree but there's something the board here never seems to recognize is that a lot of times these lines are constructed with the input of the star players. I.e if Panarin wants to play with Strome and Blackwell instead of Kakko, he will. Coaches in every level of hockey ask the stars who their favorite players to play with are because the players have a feel of who compliments them more. Keep your stars happy and producing.

Glad to see that someone understands this.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We're in the toughest division, as usual.

I thought we got screwed by switching Boston and Buffalo in for Carolina and Columbus, but I think our usual division would have been even tougher. Glad we're going back to it next year, haha. At least we'll play games against other teams.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
super goalie Blackwood rocking the .900 save percentage. Ruffs nutless challenge in a 4-0 game is the only thing keeping him from being in the .800’s right now.

Yea the blown leads are obviously concerning. But at the end of the day they took care of business and swept the Devils. That isn't easy in the NHL.

Bit disappointed that Kakko is sitting because that line can't be trusted. He is a good defensive player.

I think it’s ridiculous that the line was basically benched period. none of their forwards did anything wrong on the first goal, that was a tony B special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad