Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Caps: Trade Del Zotto!!!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Now that the hate train has moved on to Pouliot, I thought the Zuc-Brass-Pou line looked really good the first three games, and in the losses were the only line with any sustained offense.

does anyone remember the tic tac toe passing in phoenix where smith robbed him?

That line's gone now and Pou is playing with people who cannot set up plays, simple as that.

He's playing on a line with Stepan and Zuccarello...maybe he just sucks.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Once again, I give tons of credit to AV for this win. Perhaps we should give him a little more time before we fire him?

Totally agreed. It's only six games out of 82. When they have been good, they has been so much more fun to watch, and the PP is encouraging.
But several players have to step up and produce. Any news on Nash?

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
You can lament losses but some people are on the verge of the suicide after 2 losses in a row.

Not me. Besides, people react differently, doesn't make one person right and the other wrong nor does it have any bearing on who's the bigger/better fan which is implied here way too often. Some people need to come down off their high horse and stop worrying about their ego.

Too many veiled and some not so veiled cheap shots at people. It comes down to respect. Can we not have different opinions without being attacked or ridiculed for it? There are always going to be extremes on either end of the spectrum but that's still their right to feel that way. I'm just saying when you disagree try to do so without belittling the other poster.

Last edited:

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Back on topic, last night was the first step towards pulling ourselves out of the hole. I just hope they don't relax, sit back and come out flat next game like this team has be prone to doing in the past. It's only a building block if you continue to build on it and avoid the trap of getting too complacent after one win.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Ovechkin tried the same move on McDonagh I think 4 times in the 3rd period.

The guy is a gamer with all the talent in the world, but there's not a whole lot going on in his head. :laugh:

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Ovechkin tried the same move on McDonagh I think 4 times in the 3rd period.

The guy is a gamer with all the talent in the world, but there's not a whole lot going on in his head. :laugh:

Mac has done a great job of shutting him down for the most part which probably has gotten into Ovi's head. He has the skating ability to keep up with him which minimizes Ovi's effectiveness.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
McDonagh and Lundqvist are Ovi's kryptonite. No combination play him and know him better than those two. As long as the Caps are Ovi's team they will always be dealt losses like this by the Rangers. That's not to say Ovi doesn't care, or is a bad player, it's just he seems to be the only one ready to play every night on that team.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nash stuck up for Stepan... at least he has some heart. although it does not look like much at times.. i wish the Rangers didnt have so many emotionless players.

not emotionless.

overall the team has a SERIOUS lack of aggression and that is what I mean by being a soft team.

Guys get run on other teams, the 4 other guys on the ice address it. Clean or not.

Rangers? they barely blink a friggin eye.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
You guys notice this last night? The announcers start talking about Brassard and the strong play he put together after the trade last season. Then NBCS puts up a graphic with his name/headshot that says "First game vs Capitals since trade from Columbus on April..."

For one, let's forget about the fact that he participated in every game of a great seven game series with the Caps a month after that trade, which makes that all pointless anyway. Or that it wasn't even like anyone else on the Rangers played a game against the Caps since that trade, even excluding the playoffs. But besides all of that, I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell the point was that they were trying to make in the first place.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Lol at people wanting the team to respond after the Stepan hit, regardless wether it was accidental or not, did nobody see AV telling the entire bench to chill out after the hit, jumping brower next time he was in the ice would have been the stupidest possible thing anyone could have done, why in the world would we give at least two minutes probably four of powerplay time to the team with the most lethal powerplay in the league.

Nobody realizes this isn't the game of old where players police themselves and the refs let it be, just like when Boyle went after whoever that was the refs aren't afraid to throw guys in the box for 4 minutes at a time to keep the game under control.

Bingo

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
not emotionless.

overall the team has a SERIOUS lack of aggression and that is what I mean by being a soft team.

Guys get run on other teams, the 4 other guys on the ice address it. Clean or not.

Exactly! We needed to maintain composure last night cause we needed to make sure we came away with 2 points but over the course of 82 games you need to step up at certain times and we fail to do so on a consistent basis.

Stepping up doesn't just mean fighting either, who on this team makes opponents keep their head up or keeps the opponent honest by taking the body? We are dictated to on a physical level all too often.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You guys notice this last night? The announcers start talking about Brassard and the strong play he put together after the trade last season. Then NBCS puts up a graphic with his name/headshot that says "First game vs Capitals since trade from Columbus on April..."

For one, let's forget about the fact that he participated in every game of a great seven game series with the Caps a month after that trade, which makes that all pointless anyway. Or that it wasn't even like anyone else on the Rangers played a game against the Caps since that trade, even excluding the playoffs. But besides all of that, I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell the point was that they were trying to make in the first place.

I had the exact same reaction to that graphic. Classic NBC Sports. Give you plenty of useless info, don't show replays of every penalty.

It really can't be emphasized enough how much our defense needs to play like that every night to have a shot to pick up points. Makes Henrik's life so much easier. Keeps the momentum on the Rangers's side.

Punxrocknyc19*

not emotionless.

if they dont show anything when their teammates get knocked out by a hit, i can only imagine what will happen if one of their friends was held for ransom :sarcasm:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I do want to understand bringing up Miller again. Because I don't understand it right now. I think you could have grabbed Haley or Mash to do the same thing while letting JT get big minutes in the A. Hopefully they find what they're looking for and promote him up a line or two but I'm not sure he's ready for it

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I do want to understand bringing up Miller again. Because I don't understand it right now. I think you could have grabbed Haley or Mash to do the same thing while letting JT get big minutes in the A. Hopefully they find what they're looking for and promote him up a line or two but I'm not sure he's ready for it

He got as many 5v5 minutes as Stepan last night, and his line was great. I would prefer it if he wasn't on the 4th line, but they got good minutes last night as they were really effective.

But who would we play in his place? Nash and Hagelin are out and we need wingers that can actually play the puck. He'll be down with the Pack once one of them comes back from injury.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
You guys jump on Miller a little too quickly IMO, not the best display of hockey I've ever seen but far from the worst and he showed just as much as Pouliot and Zucc have recently. His experiment lasts until Hags is back at least and in that time he will probably surpass one of those two in the lineup.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The team reigned it in tonight. Getting into track meets was a huge mistake and Im thrilled to see a change.

Offensively, the team looked a lot like they did during the best of the Tortorella years. Grinding, energy, great play below the hashmarks, winning the critical battles. There was nothing really pretty about it - just a good, solid win.

Major differences? The team is still getting used to the man to man defense. It was teetering in the first period, but they really clamped down after that. Also, the PP looks a lot better, specifically because Brad Richards' ability to make a quick decision seems to be back.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
as games go, last nights was an important one for this team and for av himself.

im certain this team feels alot better about its collective self this am. same for av, last night was good for this team.

so many good rthings happened last night but i will highlite only 3.

1. compete level. outstanding. i saw skating with purpose and i saw flow. i saw guys going to spots and acting rather than reacting. i saw us bring the play to them in THEIR zone and i saw shots. lots of shots. all good stuff.

2. d zone. i saw good solid simple and smart coverage. i saw proper angles and i saw us limit time and space for any wash puck carriers. we played an efficient road game in our zone. very active and excellent job getting pucks out and away from the middle of the ice. falk was focused and didnt try to do too much. his big body in front actually helped clear the crease a few times. lots of heads on a swivel and active feet supporting each other.

3. hank being hank. for us to win, he needs to be focused and confident. as long as he can STAY OFF HIS KNEES and stop that initial flinch move he has on high shots, hell be fine. dude has to stay up and guard those corners. i realize hes a hybrid guy and he has some high vulnerability, but when he goes down and gets small, the corners are open. good job last night seeing pucks and his rebound control was better.

all in all, a good night. its only 1 game but its something to build on. we still dont score enough and that must be addressed via trade im afraid.

oh, and delzaster wasnt playing so there. trade him pleeeeeeeeez.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You guys jump on Miller a little too quickly IMO, not the best display of hockey I've ever seen but far from the worst and he showed just as much as Pouliot and Zucc have recently. His experiment lasts until Hags is back at least and in that time he will probably surpass one of those two in the lineup.

All 3 of these guys stink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad