Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Caps: Trade Del Zotto!!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The team was all over the puck the entire game. In the offensive zone in the 1st and 2nd. In the defensive zone in the 3rd. They definitely hung back in the 3rd.

Still some missed coverage in the man-on-man, but overall better in the defensive zone. Similar to the LA game, they actually looked somewhat comfortable playing that scheme. Lundqvist swallowed some pucks that he would've left rebounds on in earlier games.

Nothing to complain about in this game. Maybe could've buried more of their chances, but I'm content.

Punxrocknyc19*

Love seeing the rangers not respond to stepan getting hit like that. That was no accident.

Nash head shot = no response

Stepan head shot = no response

Glad he returned but that was a real dangerous play

Nash stuck up for Stepan... at least he has some heart. although it does not look like much at times.. i wish the Rangers didnt have so many emotionless players.

peanutbuttacallytime

#therightway
Dec 19, 2006
we had stretches in this game where we controlled the puck and forechecked that were absolutely dominant. Not something I'm used to seeing much of even during the good times the past few years

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why's that? I don't disagree at all, but elaborate please?

The team came prepared to play their opponent. AV also kept his team calm when they could've been out there taking runs, and penalties, after the Stepan collision. He matched lines well. It was an AV gameplan top to bottom.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Why's that? I don't disagree at all, but elaborate please?

1) Staying consistent with his plan.

2) Not doing anything drastic until they were back on the east coast.

3) Demoting two players who were sucking wind regardless of the fact that they were well respected vets. (I think posters here discount how much it takes to cut a guy like Marty in particular.)

4) Del Zotto sitting. I frankly don't believe he was really sick.

5) This:
The team came prepared to play their opponent. AV also kept his team calm when they could've been out there taking runs, and penalties, after the Stepan collision. He matched lines well. It was an AV gameplan top to bottom.

6) Reprise: recognizing that it's only been five games under less than ideal circumstances and staying consistent with his plan.

[7) If you believe Pierre, working the refs like an artist.]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Once again, I give tons of credit to AV for this win. Perhaps we should give him a little more time before we fire him?

We put up with some real tough **** from Torts and saw his system not always work for a few years before it all really came together in 2011-12. A coach needs time.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Nash stuck up for Stepan... at least he has some heart. although it does not look like much at times.. i wish the Rangers didnt have so many emotionless players.

lol watch that replay again. Nash was going right to the bench, that player went to nash.... not the other way around.....don't always believe what the announcers say

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Nice to see McD and Moore together on the points ... they're both capable handling the puck. I hope we see more of that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Richards looks so good this year, which is crucial to this team's success. Last year most of his points were lucky. This year, so far, he's earning them. He's making such nice reads, he is confident and controlling the play out there. I really like what I've seen from him. He's definitely in great shape this season, it's looking more and more like last season was a fluke (due to his poor conditioning) and that Richie has plenty left in the tank. He also looks very good with Callahan as well as VERY good on the PP. He's looking how he did 2 years ago and even showing flashes of his play in Dallas.

When Nash and Hags are back, our top 6 can be excellent.

Richards-Brassard-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash

How about this for a plot twist. They don't buy our Richards and keep him permanently as a LW. He becomes the top 6 LW we've been looking for. Even if the penalty on the last year or two of his contract is bad (5m+) it would be worth dealing with if we get 3 years of quality Richards as those years will be our main window to win. Thoughts?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
How about this for a plot twist. They don't buy our Richards and keep him permanently as a LW. He becomes the top 6 LW we've been looking for. Even if the penalty on the last year or two of his contract is bad (5m+) it would be worth dealing with if we get 3 years of quality Richards as those years will be our main window to win. Thoughts?

I just don't see that happening. The Rangers need the cap space. Even if Richards has a fantastic season, I don't see him being a Ranger next year.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I just don't see that happening. The Rangers need the cap space. Even if Richards has a fantastic season, I don't see him being a Ranger next year.

Fair enough, I just wonder with the cap anticipated to go up more and more, it is possible to have a 90m+ cap by the time we have to face the penalties if Richards retires early. If we can get a solid Richards for the next 2-3 years, which I believe is the true window to win with Hank, G, Staal, Cally, Nash all getting older, it makes the discussion a little more cloudy than it has been in a long time.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I said it on Skype with some guys. But the team played with a hard D style and blocked lots. They also saw AV do his thing. Matches helped this team tremendously.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Agreed... but I am worried about his size. Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan and have been since he was drafted. And the good news is that he's got the right game for his frame - but he does need to bulk up a little if he wants to be a difference maker.

That said, it can't be underestimated how well he's playing in the role he's been assigned. I counted at least half a dozen smart defensive plays he made in all three zones this game.

He was fine tonight. Made some good plays. He needs to get some PP time already kid is a dynamite passer.

He'll bulk up. He should train with Brad Marchand next summer :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
feel like we saw a hybrid Torts/AV system tonight. Lots of zone matching, some zone defense, but quick breakouts and strong cycles on the forecheck. And dear god does that PP look better.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
re: Stepan/Brouwer; Is a careless hit like that really "better" than an intentional hit? i.e. if I run a red light and get pulled over, does it matter if I did it on purpose, or if I just wasn't paying attention? He clearly had time to not hit him [Stepan].

PP has looked good all season. Simply, concise, lots of movement. Bravo.

valence

Nov 16, 2008
Hard working tenacious rangers...i luv it

Still too many turnovers in the zone though

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hopefully AV finally realized that he doesn't have the horses to have a pure offensive system.

As Raspewtin said; hybrid Torts and AV or more like the Torts foundation just not so rigid works for me.

Keep the foot on the pedal against a very slow NJ team.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
re: Stepan/Brouwer; Is a careless hit like that really "better" than an intentional hit? i.e. if I run a red light and get pulled over, does it matter if I did it on purpose, or if I just wasn't paying attention? He clearly had time to not hit him [Stepan].

PP has looked good all season. Simply, concise, lots of movement. Bravo.

Oh you didn't know ?!? Chicago didn't fight much last year and we wanna model our team after them because they are the favor of the month....

So yea the hits fine as long as we win games :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad