Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Caps: Trade Del Zotto!!!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think AV ever wanted a pure offensive system. I don't think he wanted that for one second. He didn't run things that way in VAN, with considerable more talent. But I like that he sees what he has and is making proper adjustments. I really like the guy.

Also, don't sleep on NJD, I feel like it's just the perfect trap game.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think AV ever wanted a pure offensive system. I don't think he wanted that for one second. He didn't run things that way in VAN, with considerable more talent. But I like that he sees what he has and is making proper adjustments. I really like the guy.

Also, don't sleep on NJD, I feel like it's just the perfect trap game.

Pun intended?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Lol at people wanting the team to respond after the Stepan hit, regardless wether it was accidental or not, did nobody see AV telling the entire bench to chill out after the hit, jumping brower next time he was in the ice would have been the stupidest possible thing anyone could have done, why in the world would we give at least two minutes probably four of powerplay time to the team with the most lethal powerplay in the league.

Nobody realizes this isn't the game of old where players police themselves and the refs let it be, just like when Boyle went after whoever that was the refs aren't afraid to throw guys in the box for 4 minutes at a time to keep the game under control.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just curious, down the road a bit, would you guys consider Kulemin, Gunner and a cond. 3rd for Girardi?

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
for whoever asked, hell yeah I could hear the Hen-rik chants through the stream towards the end

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lol at people wanting the team to respond after the Stepan hit, regardless wether it was accidental or not, did nobody see AV telling the entire bench to chill out after the hit, jumping brower next time he was in the ice would have been the stupidest possible thing anyone could have done, why in the world would we give at least two minutes probably four of powerplay time to the team with the most lethal powerplay in the league.

Nobody realizes this isn't the game of old where players police themselves and the refs let it be, just like when Boyle went after whoever that was the refs aren't afraid to throw guys in the box for 4 minutes at a time to keep the game under control.

beat me to it. good post.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Just curious, down the road a bit, would you guys consider Kulemin, Gunner and a cond. 3rd for Girardi?

if im trading dan girardi, I want nothing less than the top prospect of any given team that wants him or a high first rounder....or both.

defenseman, particularly top pairing defenseman, are worth more than forwards.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
So..how did zuke's line do?

I only saw the first part, but Stephan put one wide at open net that I saw.. other than that it was pretty anonymus ? the vibe of the boards seem to be that Pouliot wasn't being all that helpful, so that probably answers your question

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers would need a roster player coming back. None of this prospect crap is going to work right now. If we're getting rid of Girardi, it's because the asking price is higher than we want to pay him. Gunner, Kulemin, 3rd, would probably fetch him, to be honest. I don't like Gunner, and if we can re-sign Kulemin, I think he could be a great addition for us, despire being a UFA at the end of the season, like Girardi. If I'm the GM, I try to get more before accepting a deal like this, because while this could land him at the deadline, it's more of an acceptable deal if no other deals are on the table.

Leafs fans probably don't like the idea of Gardiner instead of Gunnar, but I think leaf fans are higher on Gardiner than the organisation is. They want an overpayment coming back for him, but I think the organization just wants a good deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What's wrong with feeling good after a much needed win? Apparently you can't celebrate victories or lament losses around here without stepping on toes.

You can lament losses but some people are on the verge of the suicide after 2 losses in a row.

SRTtoZ

Apr 3, 2010
New York, NY
Great win. We have 2 VERY winnable games coming up and I see no reason we can't open up MSG being a game over .500. Let's do it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good win.

It says very little of where we are at. Even the worst teams in this league win their fair share of games. We play NJ next, they are a sneaky team and if a team is flawed they can expose it.

But nevertheless, its awsome to see not only a 2-0 win, but also a 36-22 shot advantage. To see us carry the play for stretches etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How good/bad was Washington? Hard to tell.

All I know is that the last three teams we played are 15-2-0 combined this season, and one of them losses (and wins of course) is SJ beating STL...

We now play NJ, Philly, Det, Montreal, Islanders and Buffalo to finnish October. I hardly expect us to go on some kind of amazing streak, if we just hang in there I am not dissapointed, but hopefully playing those teams will more or less be like playing Washington.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
My pre-game GDT post.

Blue Blooded said:
I want to see them dominate a game 5v5, that's all. That's where we need to raise our game the most and the Caps are a mediocre at best 5v5 team.

And they did exactly that!

I'm even glad that they were snakebit for the first half hour of the game, so that they got to dominate a close game for a longer period of time.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with how the game played out. After struggling to carry play and constant defensive breakdowns they came out and obliterated the Caps 5v5 for two periods and shut them down completely in the third to take a win as commanding as a 2-0 win could ever be.

I was sceptical against the 1st line pre-game, but they were freaking amazing! Richards and Brassard had 82%+ CF% 5v5 Close, that's unreal.

I've been hard on the 4th line, but they were also fantastic tonight. Almost as good possession numbers as the 1st, though hardly as dangerous. Honestly that's all I want out of a 4th line, 50%+ possession numbers with hard zone starts. I don't care if they don't have a single quality chance, just get it up ice and keep it in the O-Zone. That's what the legendary Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust line was so good at.

The middle six were actually pretty bad, but it didn't matter as the other two lines were so freaking awesome. I'm not sure what's going on with Zuccarello this season, he has been a dominant possession player in his NHL career but this season he has really been struggling. I'm not sure why. I think he'll bounce back, but I'm worried that he'll lose AV's confidence before he manages to get his game back on track.

But honestly, imagine when Hagelin and Nash gets back and Richards-Brassard-Callahan becomes our 2nd line. That is a scary good top 6, especially considering that Hagelin-Stepan-Nash probably was the best 5v5 line in the league last year.

Great game by McDonagh-Girardi, they didn't have the best possession numbers, but I don't care if they play defence like that and they were still above 50%. Some bad decisions on breakouts, but otherwise a great game.

Staal-Strålman was sort of the inverse of McD-G. Great breakouts, great offensive pressure, but a few breakdowns. I think the breakdowns are worth it as in a large sample the goals for will significantly crowd out the goals against. AV seems to agree as this pairing actually got the most minutes as long as the game was close.

Moore-Falk were so-so, nice goal by Moore but these guys usually found themselves stuck in their own end and had breakout issues. But it could mostly be down to the fact that Falk is pretty much a slightly more talented Bickel, i.e. it will get a lot better when MDZ returns.

Hank was amazing, I think his confidence needed a shutout against Ovechkin and the scary Caps PP.

All in all, pretty much the perfect game from my perspective.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Two years ago,the Rangers had at least a point against an east team in a long stretch of games. The Leastern Conference. You watch the teams in the east and in the west. Its not close. The Caps are the same Caps. McPhee has been there since 1997. Its worse than Slats.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Good win.

It says very little of where we are at. Even the worst teams in this league win their fair share of games. We play NJ next, they are a sneaky team and if a team is flawed they can expose it.

But nevertheless, its awsome to see not only a 2-0 win, but also a 36-22 shot advantage. To see us carry the play for stretches etc.

The worst teams in the league very rarely dominate a game like that when they win. They usually just hang with the opposition, or are even outplayed, and win through opportunism and/or good goaltending. We steamrolled the Caps last night.

This was the way I expected the Rangers to play coming in to this season and why I thought they would win the Metro division and challenge for the PT. This is also how I expected the Ranges to look against the Caps in last year's playoffs, because this is how the Rangers played for a big part of the 12-13 reg. season. Playing the way good teams play, keeping the opposition on their heels and dominate possession 5v5.

I hope, and believe, that these are the true NYR and that the road trip out west, like in 11-12, was an exception from the norm. Though the disastrous games still crowd out the good ones. Keep it rolling guys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad