Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Caps: Trade Del Zotto!!!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Agreed. I doubt he would have prepared this hard in the offseason if he wasn't playing in a season in which he is a buyout candidate.

It's frustrating because his lousy performance last season may have been preventable. He was out of shape and didn't look ready to play after the lockout.

Somebody on the telecast mentioned how Richards was "carrying a suitcase around for 4 months and was instrumental in the labor deal"

What a bunch of BS.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Alright. Feeling a win tonight, but I have a game of my own so I'll probably only catch up to the start of the 2nd.

We either win well, or get scored on early and crumble, IMO.

Well, I was thrilled to see the score when I got off the ice, but I wonder if I didn't inadvertently make a sacrifice to the hockey god's for last nights win; got a nice stick to the gums last night, cracked a couple of chiclets and cut my lip up. Got 6 stitches last night and I have dental work tomorrow. Maybe I'll be hopped up on vicodin for our next win. :sarcasm:

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
So Devils and Philly next. Play like yesterday, possibly with some production from other lines, 2 wins might not be out of the question.

Bardof425*

He got as many 5v5 minutes as Stepan last night, and his line was great. I would prefer it if he wasn't on the 4th line, but they got good minutes last night as they were really effective.

But who would we play in his place? Nash and Hagelin are out and we need wingers that can actually play the puck. He'll be down with the Pack once one of them comes back from injury.

Stralman was probably our least effective player last night. Thoughts?

Bardof425*

I can't say enough about Callahans goal last night. That's the way to set an example. If he's gonna lead this team he needs to hustle like that, score big goals and earn his points the old-fashioned way. He doesn't have the best skill set, but he can outwork anyone in the league.

And his pass to Richie that went off the post was pretty special as well.

Bardof425*

Last night, late in the game, we saw why AV was excited to sign Moore. Having he and Boyle out there late in the game is a luxury most teams don't have. Having Brassard and Richards on the same line is the same thing. Miller on the wing is another one. It helps on face-offs because the main center can cheat with no worry of being thrown out.

And Stepan quietly did a very good job on draws in the D zone and when on the PP. Winning those draws on the PP leads to possession and not that inevitable clear that seemed to start every PP last year.

Bardof425*

I was pleased to see Torts back behind the bench. This is the way they must play. Keep in mind that Wash is a pretty poor team, though.

This is not true. They are off to a slow start but this is pretty much the same team as last year with Grabowski replacing Ribiero and they have the best PP in the league. It's a good win on the road.

Bardof425*

For what it's worth, Dominic Moore is a pretty solid 3rd line center. He's played that position before, and he's a great defensive player, which after all that's what AV wants out of his 3rd line.

Moore had a really good game last night and was taking all the big draws when he was on the ice. However, he like Boyle is best when used on the 4th line and on the PK. He doesn't have enough offense to get 12 - 15 minutes ES a night.

Bardof425*

He didn't play that bad. Thats how he plays, he doesn't stick out much. Dont mind him

He took two penalties on plays that he was beat cleanly. He's better than that. I don't mind him either; he had a bad night.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Stralman didn't even have a bad night. He was solid and shooting the puck whenever he could, something uncharacteristic of this d-corps. The two penalties he'd like to forget, esp when the first was all Laich exaggerating, but still not a bad game really.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm also really curious as to what exactly happens when Hags/Nash are back. There will be 3 spots open with 6 people aiming for them. Dorsett, Boyle, and Dominic Moore have spots locked down for the bottom 6, in my opinion. But theres 3 spots open for 5 players. Pyatt, Pouliot, Fast, Zucc, and Miller. Would AV use Miller in a checking line? Would Dominic Moore play 3C and have Boyle shift back to center? What does AV want out of this line? When Hags and Nash come back, I suspect trades and/or waivings, because that 3rd line really needs to be worked out.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I'm also really curious as to what exactly happens when Hags/Nash are back. There will be 3 spots open with 6 people aiming for them. Dorsett, Boyle, and Dominic Moore have spots locked down for the bottom 6, in my opinion. But theres 3 spots open for 5 players. Pyatt, Pouliot, Fast, Zucc, and Miller. Would AV use Miller in a checking line? Would Dominic Moore play 3C and have Boyle shift back to center? What does AV want out of this line? When Hags and Nash come back, I suspect trades and/or waivings, because that 3rd line really needs to be worked out.

Well, if there is a God, Pouliot will be gone; he is just awful...

Miz

Jun 2, 2011

If I were to guess, i'd say Miller and Fast go to the A. Pyatt, Pouliot, Zucc all stay. With Pyatt and Pouliot rotating in and out of the lineup

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was laughing when I saw the replay.

The refs were biased all night. Caps as usual getting away with everything.

The faceoff interference penalty against the Caps was pretty harsh, as well.

It was just some forgettable poor officiating. The team played really well, played Torts hockey, I don't know why people are miffed.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The faceoff interference penalty against the Caps was pretty harsh, as well.

It was just some forgettable poor officiating. The team played really well, played Torts hockey, I don't know why people are miffed.

What is better than Torts hockey without Torts? Honestly. He got this team to win. Having a coach who can implement the same system but not be a hot headed SOB may do wonders for this team. They looked worlds better than any other game this season including the LA win.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just don't see that happening. The Rangers need the cap space. Even if Richards has a fantastic season, I don't see him being a Ranger next year.

the cap is going up 6 m next year, and probably 6 the following year, then 4 the year after...

How much in cap space are we really going to need?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Good win.

It says very little of where we are at. Even the worst teams in this league win their fair share of games. We play NJ next, they are a sneaky team and if a team is flawed they can expose it.

But nevertheless, its awsome to see not only a 2-0 win, but also a 36-22 shot advantage. To see us carry the play for stretches etc.

not to mention the fact that the caps had the power play for most of the 1st, and a part of the second (including a 5 on 3)... THAT is why this is so impressive

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
the cap is going up 6 m next year, and probably 6 the following year, then 4 the year after...

How much in cap space are we really going to need?

Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, Brassard, and Stralman will all be demanding raises.

Even if you only consider raising each of them by a million a year, that's still 5 million added to the cap before RFA deal for MDZ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad