GDT: Rangers @ Capitals - "Playoffs? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Playoffs!" Edition - 3/28/18 - 8pm EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Possible but the defense will still be pretty suspect. I think we could use one more year of multiple first round picks after this year including a lottery pick. Obviously those picks can't be botched. We need a couple of elite players from somewhere.
I think this year we came in with a worse roster than we will next year and hopefully a better coach

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe it`s too early @Vinny DeAngelo - there are no shortcuts in this league concerning the rebuild topic, and we still have holes in the lineup for quite a few years now.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I believe it`s too early @Vinny DeAngelo - there are no shortcuts in this league concerning the rebuild topic, and we still have holes in the lineup for quite a few years now.
Obviously but I think most of those holes are the same holes from this year and we’re getting more young guys and the young guys here will keep growing

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think our current core, plus the integrated youth, plus a few shrewd UFA signings which I expect, gives us a good basis to be competitive. And maybe you luck into someone like Calgary did with Tkachuk and find a guy who makes an immediate impact. Then, add in a new coach with a more structured, defined system, I think you can definitely push for a playoff spot.

Reactions: silverfish

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wish Names and Buch could have a competent LW put on their line to see if that duo works. They both made nice plays last game only for them to be wasted by giving the puck to McLeod. I missed most of the two games when Spooner was with them. How’d that trio look together?

Awful. The initial trio is also a problem.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think our current core, plus the integrated youth, plus a few shrewd UFA signings which I expect, gives us a good basis to be competitive. And maybe you luck into someone like Calgary did with Tkachuk and find a guy who makes an immediate impact. Then, add in a new coach with a more structured, defined system, I think you can definitely push for a playoff spot.

The biggest issue is a lack of first pairing blueliners, and the lack of any available in the pipeline or on the horizon. None of our current D prospects really have McDonagh potential from what I've read. In theory having 6 very solid but unspectacular defensemen who play their roles well could work, but most competitive teams have a true number one defenseman for all situations.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The biggest issue is a lack of first pairing blueliners, and the lack of any available in the pipeline or on the horizon. None of our current D prospects really have McDonagh potential from what I've read. In theory having 6 very solid but unspectacular defensemen who play their roles well could work, but most competitive teams have a true number one defenseman for all situations.
Yeah I think Hajek is the only one with that type of potential and he's not a lock to blossom into that by any means. Could/should be a few FAs in the 1D mold in the next few years. Don't love the idea of paying FA money for a 1D given that it'll likely be huge, but you need that type of guy to win these days and depending on which prospects end up being actual NHLers we could have all sorts of cap space in the short term.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2011-12 was my favorite regular season; that was a blast, in part because of how unexpected it was.

I think you throw in the unexpected success, the winter classic, behind the scenes from that, got to know the players more from that. It just was a fun team and you felt more attached to those players. Yeah sure there was a winter classic this year, but did not have the same feeling as the last one, plus things began going down hill right after this one.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I think you throw in the unexpected success, the winter classic, behind the scenes from that, got to know the players more from that. It just was a fun team and you felt more attached to those players. Yeah sure there was a winter classic this year, but did not have the same feeling as the last one, plus things began going down hill right after this one.
its was still very novel back then too.

also both teams were good, and rivals

Elevate

May 30, 2014
On one hand I want us to maximize our chances at a real good pick.

But on the other I'd really really like 5+ wins with Hank in the net for yet another 30 win season for him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
its was still very novel back then too.

also both teams were good, and rivals
HBO helped the most imo. That show was excellent - I watched it with many friends who didn't care for hockey much at all and even they were totally sucked in. I don't really recall what the issue was with continuing that, but it was yet another in a long, long series of culturally tone deaf moves the NHL has made. HBO is a big deal, people enjoy their programming and anything made by them gets a huge boost of popularity simply because they made it.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
The end of an era and the beginning of another. I still think the turnaround will be quicker than expected. I think we’ll make the playoffs next year

For me it all depends on what happens at the draft and after UFA day. I have a feeling that Gorts will sign Kovalchuk for a couple years just for the sake of having another "star" name. I don't know if that means we'd make the playoffs though... too many unknowns still (for me).

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
in for heel-toe

7-4 capitals
kuznetsov (3)
heel (2)
toe (2)
av (4)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
For me it all depends on what happens at the draft and after UFA day. I have a feeling that Gorts will sign Kovalchuk for a couple years just for the sake of having another "star" name. I don't know if that means we'd make the playoffs though... too many unknowns still (for me).
I think for the majority of this season we played the wrong group of players and if we had started with the optimal group we’d be in the playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad