Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals Game 6 | 5/10/15 (continued...MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Hopefully OV shows up and produces, otherwise he will never, ever, hear the end of it from the Media for that declaration.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Kuz with Ward and Chimmer looked great -- I hope they have something left in the tank for Game 7.

3rd line continues to look capable of generating something.

It will be good to have 2 lines that are alive for Game 7.

Problem is -- it leaves Ovi with Backstrom and Mojo, which has been like the worst combination.

I dunno, if Ovi can't get clean looks and his linemates can't finish his passes, put him with Laich & Wilson to hit stuff and draw attention, maybe GlenX-Backstrom-Mojo will look more alive... do something -- I don't have trust in a Ovi-Backstrom-Mojo line.

PP1 has gone stagnant, but I don't really expect any miracles... PP2 is close to what people want, it does look better, Trotz sometimes puts it out there first, it still hasnt really gotten results. Doubt Green will change anything, he's not shooting and Rags are just gonna focus even more on that pass to Ovi. I'd just switch PP1 and PP2, keep throwing pucks on net... anyway, the Caps won't get many PPs in MSG, so it's not very important.

Hopefully Caps are gonna have ~2 lines going, and then it's judgement day (another one) for Ovi-Nick pairing. And if it doesn't work, then it's on Trotz for inability to at least try something different with them.

edit: It's hard to believe how much more potent Chimmer-Kuz-Ward looked compared to the rest of the forwards. It really boggles the mind that the Caps haven't been able to create any other comparable line with all the cap space and talent like Ovi & Backstrom.

Play Wilson on top line. Send mojo down to buras spot on the 3rd or to the fourth.

OV-NB-Wilson
Ward-Kuz-Chimmer
B-B-B(mojo)
The Rest

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Bura is the only guy who has shown both the willingness and the ability to keep up with Ovie when he's on the rush, other than maybe Kuz.

That's why I think it may be time for Backstrom to go back to the 2nd line and center Kuz with OV. Kuz is dynamic enough to take some pressure off of OV. Backstrom needs some more responsibility and I think I might move Bura up to his line. Backstrom tends to respond to more responsibility heaped on him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only positives I have coming out of Games 5 and 6 are the following:

1. The team seems to have gotten over being "1:40 away."
2. They played really well through the 2nd and 3rd.
3. The Rangers haven't seen desperation mode Caps yet.

The PROBLEMS:

1. We are not getting anything from OV/Backstrom
2. We have had horrible starts in every game
3. We were 1:40 away from being done with this thing.
4. Desperation Mode Caps hasn't exactly been great in the past.

Does anyone else want to just say "Eff it. Let's beat these *******s at their own game and stop trying to just sit back and let them bring the game to us."

I want the Caps to come out flying, and give up some chances and just let Braden try to save us. Get some freaking goals. I think this is more or less what they did in Game 6 though...but they seemed to make some boneheaded plays too.

then what was the 3rd period of game 6? The cool and collective caps?

I dont think hockey gets much more insane than the last 5-10 minutes of that game.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I wish Nick would support Ovi more physically.

Nick may be ailing, but when he is not attempting counter hits in his cycle game, he is not bringing any physical play. Sure physical play is not his game, but he does it on occasion and in big games but its been largely absent this series.

No game is bigger than Wednesday night. His BFF and team captain just pushed all in guaranteeing a win. Join the fight!

This could be the greatest night of our lives...

#movietrivia

I think he's doing what he can, just doesn't really have an extra gear. Needs some crazy pills :)

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The Rangers went into a defensive shell. It's nothing to get excited about. A bunch of forwards not good enough to score in the postseason put a lot of shots on net against a team that wasn't trying to score. That's all.

There are defensive shells and there are defensive shells. Not even attempting a shot for 15 minutes? Even the Caps manage to get a few off when they are turtling.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think we've gotten the post-game venting out of our system and we're moving on to broader series/team topics. Closing this thread. Move to the series discussion thread until the next GDT.

Moved some of the latest relevant posts over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad