Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals Game 6 | 5/10/15 (continued...MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Johansson 21:40 (5:27 on the PP)
Backstrom 23:33 (5:27 on the PP)
Ward 18:11 (3:01 on the PP)
Kuznetsov 16:00 (2:12 on the PP)

:facepalm:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Caps seemed to play harder against the Islanders. That is not my imagination.

The Rangers D do not feel worried that they'll get hit. They have tons of time to make their play.

Because they can.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yes i would think that aswell, but that's not an option right now. The 2nd line was easily the best line for Washington right now and they shouldn't break that just to get Backstrom going. Do you throw him onto the 3rd line and put Beagle or Laich with Ovechkin :)laugh:), because Backstrom is dragging that line down right now. It's hilarious that top-10 C in the game needs to be carried by his line-mates in the playoffs. And not for the first time, but he avoids 90% of the blame because of the generational talent next to him.

I bet they wished they had added additional center instead of Glencross at the TDL. Right now the options are begging for Backstrom to wake up, putting 4th line guys (Beagle/Laich) next to Ovechkin, breaking up the line that dominated in the end or hoping that Fehr gets ready and throw him straight to the 1st line.

Zero faith in Backstrom right now. This was arguably the biggest game of his career and this is the result. If he was a rookie on this team he would sit in the press box in Game 7.

Well yes, right now they are in a pickle :)

I don't think it's particularly strange that certain players may need a particular kind of linemates to flourish. Backstrom may not be top-10 quality in playoffs, but it's too early to give up on building a line around him that works. Too early in terms of -- Caps haven't even really tried -- him and Ovi always get stuck together, and if it doesn't work then the brass says "oh well" and the fans say "they suck". Why not try something different, damn it?! Especially when it's not working!

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Ovechkin has basically gone Mark Messier on us:

getty_mmessier.jpg

"We’re going to play our game and we’re going to come back and we’re going to play Montreal or Tampa."

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Pretty sure his biggest problem is his groin is shot.

I don't think that's the problem right now. He was never particularly explosive, anyway. He used to play on the 2nd line on a tremendous offensive team that generated lots of scoring chances for everybody, and when confident he'd pot some wrist-shots and some rebounds. That's no longer happening, and he can't create something himself -- and never could.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Like everyone has mentioned, it was that ridiculous first goal that set the tone. A veteran team with years of playoff experience cannot suffer from stagefright like that. I hope Trotz spent a good 10 minutes or so after the game just yelling at them for that utterly unprofessional display.

If the Rangers don't score that absurd opening goal I almost guarantee you a different game tonight.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Now would be a good time for 8 and 19 to put their stamp on something.

Could be anyone. Backstrom was very productive against Isles. Bura was a stud in game 4 against Rags. Ward, Kuz and Ovie scored important goals against both Isles and Rags.

We actually have more guys capable of breaking a game open than we used to. Both Kuz and Bura look like they relish the main stage and don't shrink from it at all.

I do wish Trotz weren't so intent on nursing a 1-goal lead, whenever one materializes. I think it's a legitimate knock against him. Still, he has worked wonders with this squad.

On a side note, barring significant injury, I'd rather not dress any of the guys who haven't been playing, such as Fehr or Latta. Takes a couple games to shake off the rust and get up to playoff speed. Wait for next series to do it.

Fix the PP. More Kuz and Green. Less Carlson and Mojo.

Focus on that very first minute of period, on playing sharp and hard, from the drop.

Throw a MILLION pucks on neck. We are due for a couple tap-ins of our own.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Bit a bummer, I’d say - just a nip.

Ah well. It had to end. Some serious salt in the Oilers’ board.

The Oilers are my second favourite team. They've got no reason to gloat, whatsoever. :shakehead

Anyway, you might be on the bandwagon for one of the greatest Washington Capitals victories ever or one of its most bitter defeats.

Wednesday is going to be interesting.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
The whole team needs to practice good sleep hygiene for the next could of nights.

Good nutrition, rest and mental preparation.

Then, not get out coached. Be flexible if that is what is needed.

This year cannot be wasted. It's too good of an opportunity.

Sep 19, 2008
After what I saw last night it's hard to imagine this team has the heart or willpower to close an opponent out.

Positive is that we got a ton of shots on goal, plus trimmed it to one. But there are just too many dumb turnovers and inaccurate passes. This team has a serious problem getting ready to play. They come out flat too often and we have yet to see their best effort.

There is an extra day off. But you had two chances to knock them out. You were two minutes from doing so. You had a home crowd last night behind you and give up two goals in the first!

This team played well at home all playoffs with the exception of game one of Isles series. How can you come out that flat? It makes no sense.

I'll be listening Wednesday night. But I'm not optimistic. They had their chances and blew it. They have no one to blame but themselves. Not the refs. They completely let the Rangers back in this series. Completely.

Sep 19, 2008
They have come out flat so often and pretty much since game 4. And every day the players complain and say they are not playing their best.

Either that's an indictment on the coach or the players are overrated. You know you're not playing your best. PLAY BETTER.

No matter how many times they say it, nothing is changing. They keep getting off to bad starts. Yes, the fight is there, but sometimes you just got to admit... If this team comes out flat so many times...after all they say to the media... Why would they come out strong Wednesday?
On the other hand they looked good game 5 for 58 minutes. You all know what has to change. Stop giving them the puck and stop turning it over. I mean at this point how do you keep missing passes and turning the puck over so much. It's just sloppy play most of the game. They play like that Wednesday they have no chance.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Blowing leads is about work ethic. I don't just mean pumping your legs or grinding harder in the corners, I mean refusing to stop doing what you need to do until the JOB IS DONE.

When you're up COMFORTABLY in a game or a series the tendency is to relax. NYR let us back in a bit last night for the same reason. It happens to all teams in all sports to a degree. But champions bear down and finish the job without looking for the first opportunity to let up and celebrate.

With the Capitals it is a tradition and a culture. It's the "just enough" mentality that Trotz identified earlier in the season. It's partly our players and partly the rest of the league understanding that a 2 game deficit against the Capitals isn't the end of the world. Apply pressure, watch them buckle.

That said I do expect the Caps to be flying out of the gate on Wednesday. Desperation mode will be engaged. They respond in the "must win" type games, but unfortunately play at about 70% of their potential when comfortably ahead. If the game is tied late (or even down one goal) they may have the drive and gumption to pull it off. If they're nursing a lead I fear they may cough it up as the Rangers up the intensity and the Caps are caught in the turtle, watching the clock tick down..........

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I really don't feel like the last few minutes of Game 5 were played differently than any of there other minutes. It's just that when you give up a gazillion B grade chances one is bound to go in. This series is a lesson in statistics

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I really don't feel like the last few minutes of Game 5 were played differently than any of there other minutes. It's just that when you give up a gazillion B grade chances one is bound to go in. This series is a lesson in statistics

I absolutely think they were on their heels waiting for the clock to run down.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
The only positives I have coming out of Games 5 and 6 are the following:

1. The team seems to have gotten over being "1:40 away."
2. They played really well through the 2nd and 3rd.
3. The Rangers haven't seen desperation mode Caps yet.

The PROBLEMS:

1. We are not getting anything from OV/Backstrom
2. We have had horrible starts in every game
3. We were 1:40 away from being done with this thing.
4. Desperation Mode Caps hasn't exactly been great in the past.

Does anyone else want to just say "Eff it. Let's beat these *******s at their own game and stop trying to just sit back and let them bring the game to us."

I want the Caps to come out flying, and give up some chances and just let Braden try to save us. Get some freaking goals. I think this is more or less what they did in Game 6 though...but they seemed to make some boneheaded plays too.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The only positives I have coming out of Games 5 and 6 are the following:

1. The team seems to have gotten over being "1:40 away."
2. They played really well through the 2nd and 3rd.
3. The Rangers haven't seen desperation mode Caps yet.

The PROBLEMS:

1. We are not getting anything from OV/Backstrom
2. We have had horrible starts in every game
3. We were 1:40 away from being done with this thing.
4. Desperation Mode Caps hasn't exactly been great in the past.

Does anyone else want to just say "Eff it. Let's beat these *******s at their own game and stop trying to just sit back and let them bring the game to us."

I want the Caps to come out flying, and give up some chances and just let Braden try to save us. Get some freaking goals. I think this is more or less what they did in Game 6 though...but they seemed to make some boneheaded plays too.

No. Do not want. You see what it looks like when we get away from our gameplan. We have a better defense now but we still look shaky defending the breakaway/rush. Holtby seems to need the structured game in front of him. His positioning and anticipation are big parts of his game, and they're 100% better when the Caps are in their structured style of defense. Opening it up in any situation other than trailing late is bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad