Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals Game 6 | 5/10/15 (continued...MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Does anyone else want to just say "Eff it. Let's beat these *******s at their own game and stop trying to just sit back and let them bring the game to us."

I want the Caps to come out flying, and give up some chances and just let Braden try to save us. Get some freaking goals. I think this is more or less what they did in Game 6 though...but they seemed to make some boneheaded plays too.

That's basically how they started game 6 and it cost them the game.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Tired of Hunter hockey. Bring back some of that BB hockey for a game.

Cool, final score Rangers 7-4.

I don't want to get into a shoutout with a team that excelled in scoring in the regular season that we've largely neutralized offensively with Hunter Hockey. We play BB hockey an we would have been out in the first round.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I thought we played very well.

Holtby had an off night and they just got the breaks the last couple games. Bounces tend to even out so we're about even there.

I like Ovechkin's confidence. I didn't like Trotz's personnel deployment (Green not on PP1, not havign Ward/Kuz/Chimmer out at the end etc) but I believe in him.

If we truly are a different team this year then we have been presented an opportunity to display it in game 7.

MJ is playing poorly. That injury he occured in the Isles series seems to be lingering and he's just not the same. Brouwer ..well what can you say. GlenX bad.

I'd rather see more of Wilson and Laich up in the lineup.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One thing that pissed me off was the PP. We were GIFTED a PP and blew it.

I hate that we waste 10 seconds, getting guys into assigned spots, when the entire PP is a cluster ****, and is running out of time. MJ and Nick have to be interchangeable with only 10 seconds left on the PP. Nope, they swap. Carlson and Ovi swapped spots with 25 seconds left. With the top rated PP next year, no push back if some want to see new looks tried.

We will be lucky to get a single PP on Wednesday, but want Ward in front and Kuz in for MJ. Green over thinks if he should shoot and risk breaking a twig, so he stays benched.

Nisky couldn't hit the side of a barn, on a side note.

The extra man, we stayed on the perimeter, almost predictably. Do teams practice 6 on 5s and 6 on 4s? It sure doesn't look like it.

And a quick shout out to Kreider for his mind boggling decision to push that puck away from the goal and tuck it nicely under the Holts pillows, to keep the game close.

Glen✞ continues to get quality chances despite being a punching bag for that bad pass.

Another Game 7, what do you know. At least we put a few dents in their armor.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada

I hate that we waste 10 seconds, getting guys into assigned spots, when the entire PP is a cluster ****, and is running out of time. MJ and Nick have to be interchangeable with only 10 seconds left on the PP. Nope, they swap. Carlson and Ovi swapped spots with 25 seconds left. With the top rated PP next year, no push back if some want to see new looks tried.

We will be lucky to get a single PP on Wednesday, but want Ward in front and Kuz in for MJ. Green over thinks if he should shoot and risk breaking a twig, so he stays benched.

The extra man, we stayed on the perimeter, almost predictably. Do teams practice 6 on 5s and 6 on 4s? It sure doesn't look like it.

And a quick shout out to Kreider for his mind boggling decision to push that puck away from the goal and tuck it nicely under the Holts pillows, to keep the game close.

Glen✞ continues to get quality chances despite being a punching bag for that bad pass.

A few dents late were good for their mental health going into game 7, considering it was 4-1. They know now they can out work them, just have to prove it for 60 minutes. I agree that Kuzy and ward need to go in and Mojo definitely out.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The PP is so stale it's ridiculous. NO shots are coming from the strong side. None. That leaves the PK free to pressure NB and MJ and give token cheat coverage to Brouwer and Carlson since no skip pass is coming to Ovie. Block the point shot when it goes there and cheat toward Ovie. Rinse repeat.

No adjustments. Terrible.

NB, T-bro and MJ90 need to become threats. Our PP is as predictable as our clears up the boards.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Been saying this for the last couple months about our 6 on 5 performance. Abysmal. People think of it like a penalty shot, not that important. But it is. Have we scored one all year? Maybe one? Our 6 on 4 and 6 on 5 were notable for me for the reason you mentioned, everything stayed on the perimeter. Puck movement wasn't brisk enough and nobody was pressuring the defense by attacking the middle. You attack the middle and our defensemen can come up a little as the defense collapses. Then the pass back to the defensemen yields a better shot or a better pass to OV. We never got them scrambling those last 3 minutes.

To me that is symbolic of our problems this season. From a personnel standpoint what we needed was exactly what Kuz could have brought, someone to pressure the defense with his stick handling.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Anyone who was counting on the PP being a factor after having watched the past 5 postseasons, well I don't know what to tell you.

You get fewer calls, you face better teams with better goaltenders and your opponents are less hesitant to step in front of a shot. Combine that with 2/5 of our PP being noted postseason disappearing acts and here we are.

The PP was never going to make a difference.

Slappy

May 29, 2007
Time for Forsythe to make a PP adjustment. He has an extra day to do it. What about putting Green and Carlson on the points, Kuz in Mojo's spot and Ovi in T-Bro's?

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I'm putting all my faith in Kuzy for the game wednesday. Him,Ward, Orpik and Holtbeast have been our best players. Kuzy is the only guy who is causing mayhem in the offensive zone. Chimera works his balls off and Kuzy's abilities with the puck have been what I'm actually excited to see on the ice, gives a little bit of hope. During the regular season I'd be irritated when Chimera was on, but in the playoffs he genuinely wants to win and wish the rest would take some inspiration from it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuz did his move last night later in the 3rd. Walked across the slot from the RW half boards, and shot from the slot. I cannot recall if he got it on goal or not but I think he usually does.

What a stud he is. He is no longer a secondary scorer for us, he is a primary. Get his ass onto PP1 yes in the famed Backstrom spot, since he has a better shot.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
If Backstrom isn't a threat to shoot off the wall, the PP won't work.

So very much this. Nick was no good last night in all facets of the game (and I'm a huge fan), and he hasn't done much since Game 1. But his refusal to shoot the puck on the PP is killing us. That's what the Rangers are giving. And Nick has scored from the spot near the wall in the playoffs - shoot low and hard for a rebound or tip and to create some chaos. Our PP and empty net play last night was so stagnant because Nick simply refused to shoot ever.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holtby came back to earth a bit. Lundy was not perfect either.

We botched a simple pinch by Alzner to start the game. I am not sure if that pinch was ill advised, or the F covering failed, or if it was all Nisky's job to cover. But I am glad Trotz rolled the dice and tried to play what I call "hockey", one in which our team tries to score. Hunter was hated for hunkering yet Trotz gets a free pass from many.

So he went offensive and we got a ton of shots and 3 goals. It was not a complete disaster to attempt to bring a balanced approached to the game. That is what coaches do at home, attack and try to score. We will play our road game for 7.

Sorry folks, but my run of slightly imperfect oversized GDTs ran their course. I think I was 6-0 this year including Hawaii Five-0 in the playoffs.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
The way they were playing at ES, I was hoping they wouldn't call a penalty at the end. I've seen Bill Simmons called some NBA offenses a clogged toilet offense. That's what I'd call the current PP scheme. Lots of players standing around, hoping someone unclogs everything with a perfect pass or individual effort.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone else remember MJ and Ovi hitting a Ranger behind their goal -late 2nd I think? I am curious who that was. MJ lined him up (inadvertently I am certain) and Ovi finnished him. He was left laying on the ice helmetless, and lucky to skate away.

Our top line is going to have to win game 7 for us.

That line being Chimera Kuz and Ward, of course.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Hey guys,
Awesome series. I just have a quick non-hockey question haha.
Was at the game last night and was just wondering, what is that song that plays right before the opening puck drop. It's like "Welcome to DCCC..."

I've heard this every time I go to the games, but always forgot to ask.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Why are the Caps so incapiable of closing a series and getting past the 2nd round

It's so frustrating. This is a the most complete team, minus a couple players, we have had since I can remember. And it still doesn't matter.

Stop breaking my heart please. Just stop. Please?

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Hey guys,
Awesome series. I just have a quick non-hockey question haha.
Was at the game last night and was just wondering, what is that song that plays right before the opening puck drop. It's like "Welcome to DCCC..."

I've heard this every time I go to the games, but always forgot to ask.

Welcome to DC by Mambo Sauce

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Anybody notice that when OV gets the puck down the left wing there is no Cap anywhere near him? I've been waiting for a drop pass type play from that and am yet to see it. It's either OV trying to take it to the net or pulling up and looking for someone on the right wing. I'm just not seeing much creativeness in our attack.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anybody notice that when OV gets the puck down the left wing there is no Cap anywhere near him? I've been waiting for a drop pass type play from that and am yet to see it. It's either OV trying to take it to the net or pulling up and looking for someone on the right wing. I'm just not seeing much creativeness in our attack.

Bura is the only guy who has shown both the willingness and the ability to keep up with Ovie when he's on the rush, other than maybe Kuz.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

There is just so much not happening. Many nights we have no real semblance of an NHL grade offense. We are spoiled by PPGs perhaps.

We have Ovi Nick Kuz Green - high skill guys. Nice playoff scoring support from Ward and Chimera. Add in Carlson Nisky heck even Alzner, we should be able to present a consistent offensive attack.

But our passing attack seems very suspect. Ovi looks and finds guys late, but he is our shooter.

I am stunned at our shot totals last night. I think a lot of that was NY turtling. No surprise, it almost failed them.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
They have a couple of days to set things right and make restitution for their actions in 1975. The Garbage Can Curse will live on until they do the right thing.

I've been a fan since the 80s but this is the first time I've heard of a "Garbage Can Curse." What's that all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad