Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals - Game 3 - May 4, 2015 (Series: 2-1 WSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's not the point, at all.

My post wasn't meant to be some kind of arrogant **** stroking because they're having a tough time, I actually think they've been a lot better than the Caps 5 on 5 and deserve a much better fate.

Just that now that the playoffs are actually occuring, and we've faced the slightest hint of resistance (we're down 2-1 in a series after winning the 1st one in 5......), and now half the board are like WHAT A BUNCH OF PRETENDERS, or THIS TEAM JUST HAS NO HART OR NO EXTRA GEER. And the entire board sings the same garbage notion in unison. Meanwhile, I simply suggested we have weaknesses that I think would hurt us, and the HF Firing Squad all came out with their rifles aimed at my head saying "SHUT UP NERD WERE AWESOME".

The irony is ****ing hilarious. Even if my favorite team is losing, the laughs from these threads at least brings me some joy.

You're painting everyone but yourself with an extremely broad brush. Anyone who has ever watched the NHL before a few weeks ago should have, and probably did, know that this team would meet some resistance in the postseason. Some people are freaking out now. A lot of people aren't. Supposedly, some people thought this team would steamroll their way to the cup? A lot of people didn't.

And please with the "woe is me" stuff about the stats. People have faith in a team that went to the finals last year and won the PT this year. That's not a sign of idiocy or unwillingness to "get it," it's prioritizing actual results from the recent past over hypothetical results from a hypothetical future. I myself tried to engage in more than a few stat discussions with an open mind and got shot down for daring to discuss them without coming to the discussion already being completely sold. Some people are put off about the stat stuff because it's often presented with a contentious, combative attitude. Engaging people that way leads to responses that come from a similar place.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You're painting everyone but yourself with an extremely broad brush. Anyone who has ever watched the NHL before a few weeks ago should have, and probably did, know that this team would meet some resistance in the postseason. Some people are freaking out now. A lot of people aren't. Supposedly, some people thought this team would steamroll their way to the cup? A lot of people didn't.

And please with the "woe is me" stuff about the stats. People have faith in a team that went to the finals last year and won the PT this year. That's not a sign of idiocy or unwillingness to "get it," it's prioritizing actual results from the recent past over hypothetical results from a hypothetical future. I myself tried to engage in more than a few stat discussions with an open mind and got shot down for daring to discuss them without coming to the discussion already being completely sold. Some people are put off about the stat stuff because it's often presented with a contentious, combative attitude. Engaging people that way leads to responses that come from a similar place.

Wish it would change but unfortunately that's just the way things are allowed to be here. Great source of info, terrible source of discussion

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
“@AGrossRecord: AV just tapped Yandle with his stick and called him over for a private chat on the ice.”

A tap?......AV should have used a 2-handed baseball swing at Yandle. :laugh:

The dude needs a wake-up call.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Well said...

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
You have like a 50/50 chance when doing a shootout, no matter who does it. This was far from a shootout opportunity. MSL was about to be challenged by a Cap's player not that close to the net, and Holtby played the angle pretty well by coming out. You can blame MSL all you want, and I would too for other things, but not on this play. This was far from a good opportunity. I do like though how he forced a turnover on that play.

Horse crap. Marty easily could have decked, or picked a freaking corner, or try to go 5-hole on the ice. Instead he lofts a cupcake right into Holtby's chest. I could have stopped that shot, and I never played goal.

That was one of the easiest shutouts for a goalie ever. I bet Holtby didn't even need to shower after the game. Credit all goes to the caps defense, and our team's terrible decision making.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Yeah, don't have any of that left.

493232289.jpg

image.JPG

hatrick.jpg

472112868-new-york-center-derick-brassard-celebrates-gettyimages.jpg

n-KEVIN-KLEIN-large570.jpg

moore4.jpg

henrik-lundqvist-celebrates-a-win-10-16.jpg

I guess Brassard was just trying to be emo for the reporters today, its not like he has a feel for the room or anything. :shakehead

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
McD27 has not been the same guy since Torts had his goon hit him at end of last season. I think if the captaincy is up for vote now, it would be Staal. Both his D and O games have been lost it seems.

What does the captaincy have to do with how McD plays? Are you in the locker room? Do you know what goes into being voted team captain?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
McD27 has not been the same guy since Torts had his goon hit him at end of last season. I think if the captaincy is up for vote now, it would be Staal. Both his D and O games have been lost it seems.

He was great in the playoff run last year. He's been terrible since he's had the C in my opinion.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I guess Brassard was just trying to be emo for the reporters today, its not like he has a feel for the room or anything. :shakehead

I'm not saying he was being emo or that i have a better feel for the room. Zucc's passion may be missed but theres plenty of passion on this team.

Zucc is a FAR bigger loss in what he actually brings on the ice (tenacity, cycle and passing ability, vision, lineup balance) than he is in intangibles.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm not saying he was being emo or that i have a better feel for the room. Zucc's passion may be missed but theres plenty of passion on this team.

Zucc is a FAR bigger loss in what he actually brings on the ice (tenacity, cycle and passing ability, vision, lineup balance) than he is in intangibles.

I know, and I agree...but there is just too much talent on this team that has to step up in his absence.

I believe we will win tomorrow and decisively at that. This team has too much ****ing pride to roll over and die.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I don't think he's been that bad I just think him being paired with Boyle was a brain fart on AV's part.

I think he's been poor, last night being his worst game. And I don't even blame him for the goal, that was a fluke. His gaps were horrible, he was reaching all night, he turned the puck over often, and was tentative with the puck and fighting it. Hopefully we see a much better Yandle tomorrow night....one who plays solid D and gets pucks to the net through traffic.......that's what we got him for.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Seriously, where the hell did this Yandle-Boyle pairing even come from?

Complete disaster...

Put Yandle-Klein, Staal-Boyle together, and I'm certain Yandle will look fine.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I see the usual "experts" on twitter and a lot of them are saying all of the 2nd round series are basically runaways and over.

Sorry, but has no team won a series after being down 2-1? What's that? The team we're playing just did that in the 1st round? Oh.

It's not like the Rangers have been outclassed by the Caps, we've largely carried the play and the Caps have gotten some good Ovi performances, beastly goaltending and a couple lucky bounces.

I think the Rangers NEED to score in the first 5-10 minutes tomorrow, maybe even two. They need to start feeling it and remember they can score on this team.

Ideal scenario would be Nash both scoring early in the 1st (3 bird, one stone and whatnot) but I won't hold my breath on that.

I just want a win, I want them to come home 2-2.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I see A LOT more freakouts than non-freaking out............."this team is done" "every player sucks" "we want Duclair back". This board was as close to full meltdown as possible, without actually being full meltdown. I don't know what you're reading tbh.

And please with the "woe is me" stuff about the stats. People have faith in a team that went to the finals last year and won the PT this year.

There's a distinct difference between having faith and being arrogant. Which there was plenty of the latter.

That's not a sign of idiocy or unwillingness to "get it," it's prioritizing actual results from the recent past over hypothetical results from a hypothetical future.

In the context I'm discussing, it was never about "getting it". It was about the witch hunt that would come about if you expressed one of those unpopular opinions. "BUT CORSI SAID SO" or "STOP WATCHING STAT SHEETS HUR DUR". You absolutely can not deny those occured.

It's just so, very ironic, that exactly the opposite of what happened during the RS unfolded.

I myself tried to engage in more than a few stat discussions with an open mind and got shot down for daring to discuss them without coming to the discussion already being completely sold. Some people are put off about the stat stuff because it's often presented with a contentious, combative attitude. Engaging people that way leads to responses that come from a similar place.

Both side are insanely guilty of this which is why the topic is borderline impossible to discuss.

Seriously, where the hell did this Yandle-Boyle pairing even come from?

Complete disaster...

Put Yandle-Klein, Staal-Boyle together, and I'm certain Yandle will look fine.

Are you insinuating Boyle is why Yandle looked like garbage last night?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfy*

He was great in the playoff run last year. He's been terrible since he's had the C in my opinion.

Yeah but I don't think his C is up for voting, as that guy mentioned. I'm pretty sure Mac will keep it until he leaves the club. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we're missing Zuccarello's passion so much, then maybe he should be the captain instead of McDonothing.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@Vallys_View: Holtby has faced 178 clear sighted shots (red shots) this 2015 playoff season. Allowing only 3 goals against = 1 goal every 58 red shots.”

170 of them were in last nights game...lol

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I think the Rangers have been the better team this series but as a fan of this team we all know the best team doesn't always win where Hank has carried us through regular season and playoff wins in the past.

I don't think the Rangers normally lose against this team in a best of 7, but a goal in the last second, a flukey goal last night, and a hot goalie may be the luck it takes to beat us.

I hope I'm wrong but the cards have fallen better for the Caps so far in this series by far.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I don't understand why Yandle isn't with Klein/Boyle isn't with Staal, either. Those pairings scream ideal. And they were fantastic the few games they were together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad