Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals 3/10/13 - Boyle? Slapshot? Powerplay? Apocalypse.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah, they really don't like Cally.

Hard to blame them when the entire 1st intermission and most of the 2nd period's commentary were praising him. That'd get on my nerves too.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Ovechkin should be an option in this poll.

McDonagh was beast, reminiscent of last season. Defense looked very solid, first 10 minutes aside. Eminger played a very physical game. Biron was more than solid.
Offense was balanced. Gotta love Boyle scoring. 4th line did a heck of a job keeping the Caps in their own one, tyring out the defense (I remember a sequence where Kundratek was on for like 2 minutes.)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, they really don't like Cally.

Hard to blame them when the entire 1st intermission and most of the 2nd period's commentary were praising him. That'd get on my nerves too.

NBC always goes overboard in highlighting a player. Once they've got you in their sites, you're the only good player in the league for about 2 hours.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
NBC always goes overboard in highlighting a player. Once they've got you in their sites, you're the only good player in the league for about 2 hours.

Especially if you're involved with, or scoring a goal. So he is right in front of the net for 2 goals, and OV takes a penalty practically slewfooting him, and you could see the crew's grin go ear to ear as they tell the viewer: "SEE!? We freaking TOLD YOU!".

They spent the game bashing OV, and praising Cally. OV takes a penalty on Cally that leads to a goal, and scores on the PP from his second penalty. It's like NBC scripted it.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I couldn't catch the game, but it seems like the Rangers kept on rolling as they have with Nash in the lineup since the 1-3 start: Rolling over the opposition at even strength. This night they won the shots 29-17 5v5.

12-3-1 in their last 16 with Nash.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Rangers are now 23rd in the NHL on the PP

just a week ago they were last no?

keep it going boys. As long as the PP can get us TIMELY goals, I could care less where they rank. BUT I'd love to see them climb to 15 or better in the league.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Rangers are now 23rd in the NHL on the PP

just a week ago they were last no?

keep it going boys. As long as the PP can get us TIMELY goals, I could care less where they rank. BUT I'd love to see them climb to 15 or better in the league.

1 PPG creates almost a 1 percentage point swing in PP accuracy. That explains the quick move up. It's those streaks of several 0-for games in a row that kill the Rangers on the power play.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Two people gave votes to Lundqvist, who obviously was one of the stars of the game. Nobody can cheer like Hank!
Didn't you see what happened when a puck ended up on our bench? :laugh:
Especially if you're involved with, or scoring a goal. So he is right in front of the net for 2 goals, and OV takes a penalty practically slewfooting him, and you could see the crew's grin go ear to ear as they tell the viewer: "SEE!? We freaking TOLD YOU!".

They spent the game bashing OV, and praising Cally. OV takes a penalty on Cally that leads to a goal, and scores on the PP from his second penalty. It's like NBC scripted it.
Hence why I can't stand that entire broadcast. So much fake drama and stigmatization. They make it look like some bad TV show instead of a hockey game. The New York Callahers vs The Washington Ovechkitals. And if isn't that, it's the olympic watch, some college reference or some standardized Pierre love for his specific favourites. Every game.

They dumb down the entire game to the point where you just mute them and ignore all intermissions. Great for casual fans who have no real interest in hockey or the teams playing, but for the rest of us, it's torture.

Last edited:

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
and why is lundqvist in the poll :laugh:

Because when you make the bench look that good, you deserve honors. I think his good luck and charm distracted Ovechkin, which is why Ovi was caught behind the play so much hanging at the blue line in the 2nd.

Ovi looked terrible in this game, and i've watched a few other cap games and he has looked terrible in those. What's going on with him? Has he lost all that drive to be the difference maker?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
1 PPG creates almost a 1 percentage point swing in PP accuracy. That explains the quick move up. It's those streaks of several 0-for games in a row that kill the Rangers on the power play.

not totally accurate but close.

Rangers are 13 for 82 on the season 15.8%

the go 1-4 next game bringing them to 14 for 86 that's 16.3

half a % swing.

What we need is a few games where we get 2 PP goals.

go 2 for 5 twice and we are up to 18+%

Apr 10, 2012
I wasn't able to watch this one, no Bickel? I am surprised. How did Haley look?

same as the other game pretty much. i like what he brings.

one sequence from the game:
battle on the boards freezes the puck and draws a whistle
halpern gets crosschecked after the play
haley comes from cross-ice and mouths off letting the guy know what's up
handled it extremely well. he doesn't get baited into a penalty or force a fight, but he intimidates the guy enough to force him away

he's a legitimate 4th line enforcer imo. something that we've lacked up here. i've liked what we've seen from him. certainly beats out bickel for that spot. i hope he has a couple more games to earn a more permanent spot on tort's good side. he doesn't go out every shift looking to fight. he seems more feisty than asham.

edit: surprised he only played 4 minutes... torts must not have liked something... unless it was just pk time(likely) that halpern and powe got over him

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
12-3-1 in the last 16 with Nash, eh? Yea... he makes this offense thing go.

I'm just worried about his jam. Think maybe we should get Bickel in there for him against the Debbies next Tues.?:sarcasm:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Late to the party here, but I actually think this win was a big one for this team.

13-9-2 instead of 12-10-2, a good response after losing at home to Ottawa (again) in a game where i'm sure they thought they could have gotten a point out of.

5 out of the last 6, keep the points rollin in. On the road, solid effort. Richards gets a goal, they get contributions from all over the lineup. Stepan continues to produce. Good 60 minute effort. PP scores again (was that one-timer?! OH MY). Biron comes in cold and does it again.

This team, while not sexy is getting the job done. Sure there are holes and i'm hoping Staal comes back soon (because they really need him) but they needed to take advantage of the stretch of games against weaker opponents and they have. Albeit Washington is pretty terrible right now, but its nice to see that they got a 4th late in the third and didnt stop.

The Rangers have to start building a killer instinct and get up multiple goals on teams and i think this game helped them begin to take that next step even if it was against the Caps. I still think the Rangers are going to need more production from the Halperns, Powes, Pyatts and Millers of the world. Miller and Pyatt are getting chances but the others have to start shooting. Good for Boyle. He needs to build on this - it would be huge for this team if he can start scoring again while providing the all the other little things he does.

Oh, and Gaborik- YIKES. Guy is playing uber tentative right now. Hopefully hes saving it up for the last few weeks and playoffs. Hes playing like he doesnt want to get hurt and hes going to wind up hurting himself by playing that way (hope not)

Last edited:

NYRandazzo

Mar 25, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Glad I wasn't the only one with a sense of humor to vote for Stu (healthy scratch) :laugh:

The Rangers biggest enemy is themselves. Start the game sluggish and go down 1-0 early. After the next commercial break, I'm sure Torts or one of the veteran players said something to wake up the team because after that they dominated possession which turned into more chances and goals. Granted Marty had a great game too and probably saved us from a 4-3 or 4-2 game.

I'd like to think the Rangers fans in the building had something to do with sparking the team. We were pretty much concentrated behind the net in the 200's so it made it easy to get "let's go Rangers chants". By the end of the game the Caps fans didn't even bother to try to drown us out. It wasn't quite like a Rangers crowd at Nassau, CAA, or the Rock, but even though it was probably a 4:1 or maybe closer to 5:1 ratio we still made a lot of noise. You could even hear people singing the goal song :laugh::handclap: . Pretty awesome atmosphere to go to due to Caps fans not being rowdy at all and the # of Rangers fans there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Biron was solid yesterday, but this is just too ironic.

Special delivery just arrived. Thanks @KevinWeekes for the gear!! Perfect for the upcoming road trip. pic.twitter.com/iryJVcKjj4

https://twitter.com/martybiron43/status/311125340640657409

BFFW2VICQAALEa9.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad