GDT: RANGERS @ CANES, RISE OF THE STORM

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
One thing that some of the chatter I'm hearing about this series really highlights is how big it was for us to beat Washington last year. You're seeing it now from Rags fans that "well, the Canes just have more playoff experience than we do, what do you expect".

Going into last year's playoffs, we were the team in the league with the least experience out there in this regard. We were the youngest team in the playoffs. And we were going up against the defending champions led by one of the two best players of an entire generation, who is arguably still in his prime. And we won. We could have made excuses about lack of experience, which would have been absolutely valid, and we knew that things weren't looking good when we came back to Raleigh down 0-2 in the series, but man... That series win and getting another 2 series under our belts because of it... Huge. And its paying off in spades now.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I actually thought Gardiners rushes gave you guys an extra element from the back.

I agree. There's a pretty damn good reason why Brindy's never benched Gardiner once this entire season. The +/- in the regular season is misleading. His game broke late this year because of back issues.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The biggest drawback to me for many advanced stats is that it's pretty much impossible to test the integrity of the stats. It's not like baseball where there are discrete events you can go back and look at in the box score.

Total team domination sometimes leads to weird skews like this. Don't read too much into it.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I agree. There's a pretty damn good reason why Brindy's never benched Gardiner once this entire season. The +/- in the regular season is misleading. His game broke late this year because of back issues.
Every time I've seen Gardiner I've always loved his ability to skate the puck. He's not a shutdown dman and he never will be his value comes from his ability to catch the opposing team flat footed on the rush and moving the puck effectively to make his forwards better. Take his positives with his negatives and today I saw him challenge the opposing team with his tools.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I agree with you completely. To me, these games have looked like summer beer league on summer ice conditions. Puck handling is terrible. "Turnovers" are more because the puck bounces on someone rather than a really good defensive play or really great positioning. A lot of that is to be expected. And really, it's only the Aho, Teravinen, and Svechnikov line that's doing anything.

Also, too, outside of the first period, the Rangers didn't even look like they were trying all that hard. They honestly may not even want to be there all things considered. They certainly don't seem like they're playing like they really care all that much.
Another NC based Rangers fan who can't handle reality.

I guess it's hard to be a fan of team that's only won 4 cups in 90+ years, 3 of which came in the 40 years there were only 5 other teams to compete against, in your opponent's backyard.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
After seeing how Gardiner, Skjei, and Vatanen have played in the postseason, I cannot wait to see Pesce back when September rolls around.

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Vatanen

Mrazek has shown up this postseason, but play a defense like this and you can basically get away with sticking a mop in between the nets.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
One thing that some of the chatter I'm hearing about this series really highlights is how big it was for us to beat Washington last year. You're seeing it now from Rags fans that "well, the Canes just have more playoff experience than we do, what do you expect".

Going into last year's playoffs, we were the team in the league with the least experience out there in this regard. We were the youngest team in the playoffs. And we were going up against the defending champions led by one of the two best players of an entire generation, who is arguably still in his prime. And we won. We could have made excuses about lack of experience, which would have been absolutely valid, and we knew that things weren't looking good when we came back to Raleigh down 0-2 in the series, but man... That series win and getting another 2 series under our belts because of it... Huge. And its paying off in spades now.
This team nutting up and going toe to toe with the Caps last year was huge, and they've only gotten better since. SAT have been an absolute juggernaut, and the rest of the lineup has a great mix of skill and experience.

If we can find consistent goaltending, Carolina is going to be a force to be reckoned with for the near future.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Oh, and Jeff O'neill claims he scored a playoff hat trick (he didn't) and got absolutely roasted in the process.

9cdfe96fa6c430bc8122ffb87a950d44.gif

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Twas a phenomenal effort again. I had been telling my wife here for a while they need to have canons with hats in them strategically around the arena. I don't care if it would take time to clean it up. Didn't even expect it'd be needed for us.

Top line is a beast. Everyone on D is playing at a great level right now by and large. Not really any passengers whatsoever. Anyone, troll or moron, that thinks we are playing so terribly compared to other teams in the tourney is out to lunch. I've seen some or all of every game, and we are playing as well and cohesively as anyone.

Skate on throat. Finish the job tomorrow night.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Fans on Rangers boards:

"Carolina is still playing like dog shit, they are the worst team outside this series"

"Rangers obviously just don't want to be here. They miss their families and wanted to stay home. If they cared they would be winning"

"This would be a different series if Shesterkin were in net. He is the second coming of Brodeur and his play with the puck generates all of our teams offense."

The 7 stages of grief.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
After seeing how Gardiner, Skjei, and Vatanen have played in the postseason, I cannot wait to see Pesce back when September rolls around.

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Vatanen

Mrazek has shown up this postseason, but play a defense like this and you can basically get away with sticking a mop in between the nets.
Let's be real here. He didn't have to try hard in the first game, but in this one he told the Mop for a Haircut to suck his dick while it was a 1:1 game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad