Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Canadiens | 3/30/13 | March 17th, 2009 Is All I Have To Say

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
This is strickly a Tortarella commentary nothing against rangers fans or NYR.

From what we've all seen since Tampa, hes not a motivator, he's a drill sergeant and he's stubborn. He has one gear and one track in his mind and he refuses to adapt his system to his opponents. Some days his system is genius, other days it is completely predictable and beatable.

The only reason the Devils beat the Rangers is because DeBoer studied the rangers on video, night in and night out and he learned how to get through it. This was apparent as the series went on. i was very much afraid of the Rangers.

Tortarella is without a doubt THE PROBLEM. Rangers have way too much talent to be losing like this.

Look at the players. They're tired. They're depressed. It's so obvious.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Agreed. Also, the same people that worship Avery tend to be the same people who post "FIRE TORTS!" every five minutes. Take that as you will.

There are over 40 people saying fire torts now bc he is our #1 primary problem and there are def nowhere near that number clamoring for avery/ Not that it matters one has little to do with the other. I loved avery and have held out on joining the fire torts bandwagon as long as possible. As long as Gabs and richards continue to be garbage I'm still a little bit of a holdout. But then I look at the lack of strategy, adjustments, etc and I find myself now climbing aboard the fire torts brigade.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Results are what coaches (and players) get paid for. The old saying is you can't fire 20 players, so you fire the coach. At this point, Torts is not getting the best out of his players, so I have no problem with his getting fired.

Do I put it all on him, no, but I do think he has has players he doesn't care for and he does not put them in a position or environment to succeed. I'd put Avery, Drury and Gaborik in that group. And I don't agree with how he handled Kreider earlier in the season.

Last night the Rangers were lifeless. They had no heart.

Dorado*

Ill bite , all kidding and vitriole aside . Outside of last years finish ( which fell short ) . What from what you have seen from the Torts Rangers points towards keeping him , and not getting a fresh look . This season is an abomination . Last year the team started floundering in the second half but fortunately was good enough at the beginning to hold on and was lucky to squeak by two lower seeded teams and get defeated by a third . His other years have been underwhelming .
The team is constipated and doesn't appear to be able to score against anyone but Bryz or Garon .
So my question is what makes you think next season will be any different ?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Righteous Devils fan is right ... if nothing happens within the next 4 days, I will not waste my time anymore. New semester is starting and this **** is not worth ****** sleep ...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
only person more overrated than sean avery by ranger fans is brandon prust. yeah his 5 goals is exactly what this team needs. hes a hard worker and a great team guy but we do not miss him as much as you people think.

For a team that shows zero energy, zero emotion, zero intensity... Kudos as you are correct in your sarcasm as Prust is exactly what this team needs.

JKDR1

Feb 17, 2007
Avery is right, love him or hate him. Ya put a system in place to best utilize the talents of your players. This system where everyone collapses in the D-zone allowing point bombs all night long works great. (Sarcasm) it's rediculous. If "playing the right way" means some moronically rigid defensive system where your expected to lay in front of 90 mph shots all night because of the aforementioned collapsing system then you got your man. Ya really think a current player is gonna come out and say they agree with Avery? I didn't think so. Time for change. I watched the game on HNIC and the announcers were saying how during TV stoppages the team would sit dejectedly looking at the ice with little to no communication. That's a good sign right? I love some on this board who would be happy to stand pat no matter what the situation. It's great entertainment.....better than watching a Rangers game these days anyway.

JKDR1

Feb 17, 2007
.......I see someone on here pointing out rightfully so that the Rangers have one championship in 70 years. Lets be patient and wait another 70 years so we don't interfere with the great and powerful Tortorellas master plan....it's a process. I guess I'm just not a Torts guy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Torts burnt the team out last year. Think about it....he was worth squat in Tampa without Khahbibulin, and he would be worth squat here without Hank. Wonder if Hank is sick of him too.
I think all coaches like Torts have a shelf life, and these pro-athletes are eventually going to tune out a guy like Torts, Pat Burns etc. I think he is a good coach, but 3-4 yrs with the same team is about all you will get...

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
.......I see someone on here pointing out rightfully so that the Rangers have one championship in 70 years. Lets be patient and wait another 70 years so we don't interfere with the great and powerful Tortorellas master plan....it's a process. I guess I'm just not a Torts guy.

Don't forget the almighty Glen Savior too! 13 year plan in place! Guy hasn't done anything in over 20 years in the sport. Yup, hockey sure is different here.

Analyzer*

I'm not trying to troll, so if it feels that way feel free to delete.

Callahan didn't seem like that awesome player last night, or in any of the 3 games. He doesn't seem as dangerous, as physical, as... That warrior type.

He gets a lot of hate, but Boyle played with a chip on his shoulder. Probably because the only person who'd fight him is his buddy, Prust.

Rangers still had the block the shot first mentality.

The stars (Richards, Gaborik and Nash) had a few unlucky bounces, or else the game would have been closer on the score board.

A few lucky bounces and some confidence and the Rangers will be somewhat similar to last season.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Last year the team battled for each win. They had big problems on offense but at the very least you knew they were going to fight for the 2 points. If they seemed lethargic there were 2-3 guys who could get them back into the game. Who is going to do that now? Cally? He can, but has been mediocre this season and when he has an amazing shift or two the other lazy players don't even respond. Boyle? Pyatt? Ha.

I can deal with being in a race for the playoffs, and I can deal with slumps. It's this lazy, uninterested, careless, no-heart ******** that I can't stand. Last year the New York Rangers were a team that you didn't **** with and that brought it to other teams consistently. This year they are the New York Primadonnas. Enjoy the high life, and **** winning here.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Inside information? What #$%&ing fantasy land are you living in?

So you think that someone who's good friends with Lundqvist, Richards, among others wouldn't have any idea about how the players feel about the coach? I guess they never mention that kind of stuff to him because he's retired now... I guess your friends never tell you about how they feel about their boss especially if you worked together at one point.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC

I did. Lol, actually 73 yrs is the correct time frame. Absolutely no excuse for a NY team.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Don't forget the almighty Glen Savior too! 13 year plan in place! Guy hasn't done anything in over 20 years in the sport. Yup, hockey sure is different here.

Wait wait wait. Hold on a second. How can you blame our magnificent GM :sarcasm: how dare you! He has made us one of the top in the league. Very respected and feared. Just give him another 13 years and fuggedaboutit. Watch out NHL.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@DarrenDreger: Ryan Callahan on Sean Avery's tweet re: Torts. "Sean Avery's comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions....He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now". - Ryan Callahan on behalf of NYR players.”

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
I think blaming Slats at this point is ridiculous! Look at this team on paper compared to the likes of the Habs for instance, the pieces are there, it's up to the coach to implement a system a get the players to buy in. We are witnessing a team that is no longer responding to their coach period!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
“@DarrenDreger: Ryan Callahan on Sean Avery's tweet re: Torts. "Sean Avery's comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions....He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now". - Ryan Callahan on behalf of NYR players.â€

Avery struck a cord. Think the Rangers would have been better off just not responding at all to what he said. Although, that's probably the most emotion we've ever seen out of Callahan off the ice. Maybe it's what they needed to wake the team up?

Avery sparking the team via Twitter! Way to go, Sean ;)

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
I agree, pretty sad that the most emotion we've seen from this team all year comes in the form of a Twitter comment from an ex player. Had that same comment come from Graves or Messier we'd all be applauding and agreeing!

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I agree, pretty sad that the most emotion we've seen from this team all year comes in the form of a Twitter comment from an ex player. Had that same comment come from Graves or Messier we'd all be applauding and agreeing!

Because Messier or Graves would say such a thing?

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Look Avery was/is an ass but i respect him for having the guts to say what needs to be said. The fact is that this team is tired of Torts and his system. Its time for a change. Look at the Kings last year

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: