Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Canadiens | 3/30/13 | March 17th, 2009 Is All I Have To Say

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
I'm sure that Graves or Messier wouldn't be as bold as Avery but for the love of God there would be harsher words then just "we've got to be better and compete harder"!!!!

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
Forget about looking at the Kings, look at the Habs, everyone had this team pegged to finish outside of the playoffs this season, they bring in a new coach, new system, new identity and player buy in and voila!!!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Forget about looking at the Kings, look at the Habs, everyone had this team pegged to finish outside of the playoffs this season, they bring in a new coach, new system, new identity and player buy in and voila!!!

Just avoid the Islanders in the first round.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I think Torts time has run out. The players are sick and tired of being told to sacrifice every part of their body and collapse in front of the goal. Creativity is gone. Puck possession is gone. I've never like the system, I hated it last year but you
Lived with it because it worked and the whole no offensive talent thing. Now though this is a different type of team and the coach has failed to see that or is just plain old stubborn to change and that is unacceptable and for that he needs to go.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
“@DarrenDreger: Ryan Callahan on Sean Avery's tweet re: Torts. "Sean Avery's comments solely represent his own thoughts and opinions....He did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now". - Ryan Callahan on behalf of NYR players.”

So what do you guys think? Does this show that Avery was a problem in the locker room? or it's just a way to control rumors and assumptions on how the team feels about Torts?

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
I think Torts time has run out. The players are sick and tired of being told to sacrifice every part of their body and collapse in front of the goal. Creativity is gone. Puck possession is gone. I've never like the system, I hated it last year but you
Lived with it because it worked and the whole no offensive talent thing. Now though this is a different type of team and the coach has failed to see that or is just plain old stubborn to change and that is unacceptable and for that he needs to go.

Now, sticking up for each other is passe because you might take a penalty, after which you will be benched (uness you are Richards or Boyle). Everyone is supposed to dive in front of shots and collapse into the defensive zone, which kills any chance of a counter attack. No forwards are permitted to stretch the D (as Gabby used to do). Work rhe boards, grit, but no plan of what to do with the puck once you win it. Spend time in the offensive zone, but don't worry about getting the puck to the goal. We need a new coach and a new system.

Bardof425*

So you think that someone who's good friends with Lundqvist, Richards, among others wouldn't have any idea about how the players feel about the coach? I guess they never mention that kind of stuff to him because he's retired now... I guess your friends never tell you about how they feel about their boss especially if you worked together at one point.

Avery got royally screwed by this coach because the coach simply didn't like how he lives his life. It was clear to anyone who watched the team that they were better with him in the lineup. They are missing a player like him this year; no spark. Good for Sean to speak his mind and call this inflexible egomaniac out for what he is. They have quit on him. Time for a change. Thanks Sean.

iceman9999

Apr 15, 2012
This is strickly a Tortarella commentary nothing against rangers fans or NYR.

From what we've all seen since Tampa, hes not a motivator, he's a drill sergeant and he's stubborn. He has one gear and one track in his mind and he refuses to adapt his system to his opponents. Some days his system is genius, other days it is completely predictable and beatable.

The only reason the Devils beat the Rangers is because DeBoer studied the rangers on video, night in and night out and he learned how to get through it. This was apparent as the series went on. i was very much afraid of the Rangers.

Tortarella is without a doubt THE PROBLEM. Rangers have way too much talent to be losing like this.

Look at the players. They're tired. They're depressed. It's so obvious.

This is so frustrating for me to watch.. way to much talent on this team an wasted on a coach who NEVER played a day of NHL/HOCKEY!...TRYING TO TELL PROFESSIONALS WHAT TO DO..

150% AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sean Avery said it best last night ( FIRE THIS CLOWN)... and of course STEPAN & CALLY COME TO THE DEFENSE OF THERE SUPER HERO DRILL SEARGENT & VERBAL ABUSER..

Funny thing is why Stepan & Cally says Sean Avery ((does not )) speak for our team. but yet they both say our team dont feel that way..
Why are they speaking for the team & players?? exactly what they are saying Avery is doing.???...

This team WILL NOT beat Pens home & home games dont bother watching.. it will be a disgrace.....

Dont blame Brad Richards, on any other team he would be able to play good solid hockey but this dump an chase bullkrap is killing him.. You cant expect him to do what he did 10 yrs ago he is much older.. so Utilize him in a different way to get the most out of him...

Artem Anisomov congrats!! 9 goals in 27 games with Columbus if this was a regular 82 game season he would be on pace for over 20 Goals... My point??/ dump & chase didnt work for Artem... the kid is a natural goal scorer on any team.... good luck Artem......

Well Gabby, Cant understand why anyone would pay player $7.5M to play defensive hockey.. that kind of money I can get 4 players.. Gabby needs to be traded to a team that appreciates goal scorers..

Every team knows Torts system and they are using it against the Rangers.. His loud mouth days are almost over..

FIRE TORTS NOW!!

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I think it's just Cally saying "the right things" as usual. Does anyone actually expect a single player currently on this roster to come out and say "Avery is 100% right; we hate John"? Our guys are incredibly robotic in their answers to ANY interview question; you can always predict their answers. This situation is no different. I love Cally, but he's not going to tell us anything real here, in this situation. He's just going to play the politics 'the right way' and say that Avery's thoughts are his own and not representative of the team as a whole. Because that's what he's expected to say. Ditto Stepan and anyone else. Doesn't mean Avery's wrong; it just means they're being their usual, robotic, PC selves. Personally, I can't imagine they haven't tuned Torts out and grown tired of his routine.

I just can't believe they're all happy as clams with Torts' coaching and his penchant for gluing you to the bench in favor of Newbury or Pyatt on a team that can't score. Down a goal in the final 10 minutes, Gaborik tries to carry the puck over the blue line and has it stolen? For the rest of those 10 minutes, while the team needs a goal, Gaborik will only see 2:03 of ice time and his line mates will be Boyle and Newbury. A very productive line, no doubt, and Gabby now knows that if he even tries to generate actual offense rather than dumping it in so Newbury and Boyle can go impotently plug away in the corners, he won't even see his measly 2 minutes of ice time because Torts will make an even bigger example of him by not playing him at all in the third, while his team needs a goal and is falling out of the playoff picture. I'm sure Gaborik has NO problem with that.

I'm sure the team in last place in total offense in the league still believes whole heartedly that just sticking to the system is going to work. Wasn't it McDonagh who, asked during intermission what they could do differently to generate some offense said "maybe try carrying the puck and not dump so much"? Too bad in Torts' "system" that's a 20 minute benching. I just can't imagine a scenario in which Torts hasn't lost this team.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think blaming Slats at this point is ridiculous! Look at this team on paper compared to the likes of the Habs for instance, the pieces are there, it's up to the coach to implement a system a get the players to buy in. We are witnessing a team that is no longer responding to their coach period!
Just curious here guys, do you guys miss Prust more than you anticipated? The Habs did overpay him, but it seems he has helped change our team, and filled a huge need...

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Avery got royally screwed by this coach because the coach simply didn't like how he lives his life. It was clear to anyone who watched the team that they were better with him in the lineup. They are missing a player like him this year; no spark. Good for Sean to speak his mind and call this inflexible egomaniac out for what he is. They have quit on him. Time for a change. Thanks Sean.
I agree guys like avery prust dubi and feds are sorely missed

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
From what we've all seen since Tampa, hes not a motivator, he's a drill sergeant and he's stubborn. He has one gear and one track in his mind and he refuses to adapt his system to his opponents. Some days his system is genius, other days it is completely predictable and beatable.

Curious - did Tortorella play the same way in Florida as here? Cycle, block shots, collapse, boring, etc.? I didn't watch that team, so I don't know.

I wonder if, like Pat Riley with the Knicks, Torts saw the dearth of offensive talent here and decided the only way to go was become defensive maniacs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't think cally is playing badly... I think he is just losing his motivation to play.

Torts is on the chopping block. Like every other coach, all good things come to an end at some point. We saw the high of torts last year, and that's where it peaked.. never mind our players are slumping, but out coachs system is also rapidly declining.

I'm almost wishing we miss the playoffs so he goes immediately. More time with a coach that can actually do something.

*Bob Richards*

This is so frustrating for me to watch.. way to much talent on this team an wasted on a coach who NEVER played a day of NHL/HOCKEY!...TRYING TO TELL PROFESSIONALS WHAT TO DO..

What does that have to do with anything? Torts isn't some slob. He has played hockey in his career albeit not at the NHL level. Guys like Scotty Bowman and Mike Babcock and Barry Trotz have never played NHL hockey either.

150% AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sean Avery said it best last night ( FIRE THIS CLOWN)... and of course STEPAN & CALLY COME TO THE DEFENSE OF THERE SUPER HERO DRILL SEARGENT & VERBAL ABUSER..

Minus the obvious hyperbole, of course they did. He's their coach. A lot of athletes do it. Whether or not they like John is a different debate but they aren't unique in their defense of him.

Funny thing is why Stepan & Cally says Sean Avery ((does not )) speak for our team. but yet they both say our team dont feel that way..
Why are they speaking for the team & players?? exactly what they are saying Avery is doing.???...

Because they actually play for the New York Rangers? Is this part serious???

Dont blame Brad Richards, on any other team he would be able to play good solid hockey but this dump an chase bullkrap is killing him.. You cant expect him to do what he did 10 yrs ago he is much older.. so Utilize him in a different way to get the most out of him...

Based on what? He had a pretty strong season last year playing the same system. It's not Torts' fault that Richards is infatuated with mindless behind the back drop passes. It's not Torts fault that Richards looks terribly out of shape.

Artem Anisomov congrats!! 9 goals in 27 games with Columbus if this was a regular 82 game season he would be on pace for over 20 Goals... My point??/ dump & chase didnt work for Artem... the kid is a natural goal scorer on any team.... good luck Artem......

He's actually projected to have a 13 goal season which is just under his usual average. Dump and chase did work for Artem. He played well in his time with us. The kid was just a streaky player.
Every team knows Torts system and they are using it against the Rangers.. His loud mouth days are almost over..

Not everyone but this might be the only solid point you make throughout this rant.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Sean Avery ‏@imseanavery 2m
#nowplaying Gotta Get Up (Re) by Harry Nilsson, on my way home and see official statements.........
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

He deleted this tweet.. thought I should post it.

He followed it up with this
Sean Avery ‏@imseanavery 1m
Find myself #listeningto Gotta Get Up by Harry Nilsson.....Relax with the official statements its kinda embarrassing. :) :) :) :)

I dunno, I like Avery but seriously, he should shut up. Why would releasing a statement be embarrassing?

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
This place is gonna be a war zone if we lose the next two games

Or it could be a ghost town from all the acid reflux, headaches, hair loss, anxiety this team has caused. Can you blame us Ranger fans? We are the most loyal fans in sports, but how long can we keep saying fire the coach (and fire the GM also), but we all know it will be the same old song (at least under this regime) I hope I'm wrong and this team rises above mediocrity but it probably won't.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Man, I just don't want to deal with another losing team. I already cheer for the Raiders, the Raptors, the Blue Bombers and the Jays (although the Jays might be good this year - key word: might), as well as the Winnipeg Jets. Last year was nice with the Rangers making their post-season run. It was my only playoff team out of all the teams I cheer for. :cry:

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Man, I just don't want to deal with another losing team. I already cheer for the Raiders, the Raptors, the Blue Bombers and the Jays (although the Jays might be good this year - key word: might), as well as the Winnipeg Jets. Last year was nice with the Rangers making their post-season run. It was my only playoff team out of all the teams I cheer for. :cry:

Sorry man. I guess your rooting for a three point game on Monday night? At least in winnipeg there would probably be immediate change to GM and coach if this crap was happening. I listen to 1290 daily and the pressure for change would be immense.

Wolfy*

Don't worry, we'll win tomorrow and we'll beat the Pens too. Crosby ate a puck and is out for some time ;)

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Sorry man. I guess your rooting for a three point game on Monday night? At least in winnipeg there would probably be immediate change to GM and coach if this crap was happening. I listen to 1290 daily and the pressure for change would be immense.

Yeah, I have to hope for OT when the Jets and Rangers meet. On the plus side, I can cheer for pretty much every goal in the game. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad