Proposal: Rangers-Avalanche

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He said Zibanejad would be the Avalanche 3C if he was there, so yeah.

As for the other Ranger fan, he was right, Colorado needs a top-6 winger, that’s why Gorton and Sakic spoke about Kreider. If Sakic is relying on Burakovsky and Donskoi to be the answers, then the Avs might be in trouble.

Might be, might not be. And if he said zib would be 3c he's out to lunch lol. i love zibs game. I think everyone is underrating donskoi and bura. They were way too sheltered. But of course the risk of it not working exists and that's when our cap situation becomes beneficial and we become buyers before the deadline. I'll say it here first, Jost and burakovsky have big years

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Agreed. Just saying the Rangers would've assembled their future core in record time, if they walked away from the draft with both Kakko and Newhook.

Absolutely. I tweeted the day of the draft that I had a feeling that a deal was going to get done around the 16th and Kreider, not knowing that they were talking about those two specific parts. Found out later that I was right about them talking about it.

The one time I’ve actually called something.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
The Avs would be crazy to trade Jost...he's going to be an excellent top-6 center, and centers are much more valuable than wingers.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Might be, might not be. And if he said zib would be 3c he's out to lunch lol. i love zibs game. I think everyone is underrating donskoi and bura. They were way too sheltered. But of course the risk of it not working exists and that's when our cap situation becomes beneficial and we become buyers before the deadline. I'll say it here first, Jost and burakovsky have big years

I’ve had center ice every year since the package comes out. I also had a radio show with another poster from the Islanders boards on here and we got to cover the draft live last year in dallas.

Through the playoffs, we had both Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin on our show and I got to personally interview Alan May at the draft last year, so I watched a decent amount of Caps hockey last year. Burakovsky is talented, but doesn’t seem like he can put it all together. He shows flashes of brilliance and potential that he can be that top-6 winger, but he just doesn’t become the sum of his parts.

Avs would be in a better position relying on him to be a middle-6 guy than to be slotted in their top-6 and I like Burakovsky. He can be a pain in the ass to play against.

Just my observations on him.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky and cgf

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I’ve had center ice every year since the package comes out. I also had a radio show with another poster from the Islanders boards on here and we got to cover the draft live last year in dallas.

Through the playoffs, we had both Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin on our show and I got to personally interview Alan May at the draft last year, so I watched a decent amount of Caps hockey last year. Burakovsky is talented, but doesn’t seem like he can put it all together. He shows flashes of brilliance and potential that he can be that top-6 winger, but he just doesn’t become the sum of his parts.

Avs would be in a better position relying on him to be a middle-6 guy than to be slotted in their top-6 and I like Burakovsky. He can be a pain in the ass to play against.

Just my observations on him.

I agree with you for sure, that's why I'm a fan of him being on the 1 year deal and accepting his QO. If he isn't working out as a top 6 player and continues with consistency issues we can use him on the third line and make a move for a more established top 6 winger. I think this was sakic getting insurance (burakovsky) knowing the available free agent top 6 wingers would want for term and AAV. As soon as zucc wanted over 4 that crumbled, Lee was way too much and we went all in and missed on artemi. We have quite a few contracts coming off the books next summer so I'm hoping this indicates sakic taking another swing at a more established winger in season.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I agree with you for sure, that's why I'm a fan of him being on the 1 year deal and accepting his QO. If he isn't working out as a top 6 player and continues with consistency issues we can use him on the third line and make a move for a more established top 6 winger. I think this was sakic getting insurance (burakovsky) knowing the available free agent top 6 wingers would want for term and AAV. As soon as zucc wanted over 4 that crumbled, Lee was way too much and we went all in and missed on artemi. We have quite a few contracts coming off the books next summer so I'm hoping this indicates sakic taking another swing at a more established winger in season.

I think you nailed it.

I will say, be thankful you didn’t get Lee. I have a feeling the Islanders will regret that deal around year 4 or 5. He’s not a particularly great skater, isn’t a facilitator, doesn’t drive offense and is maybe slightly above average defensively. Plus his net front game is going to wear him out quicker than most forwards.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Give me Kreider for a 1st+ instead. Nevermind some picky Avs fans. They are the same that are always shooing every rumored player. Pretty sure they’d be against a deal involving even Ovie or McJesus, nevermind a lesser player as Kreider. Btw this guy would be the third (borderline second) best winger on the team so yes there would be a place for him, short and long term. as I have very little hope Bura will turn into a quality second line winger, i think that if the Rangers don’t have a press need to move him soon, this trade possibility could be revisited later in the season as at the TD.

Reactions: cgf

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Avs would be crazy to trade Jost...he's going to be an excellent top-6 center, and centers are much more valuable than wingers.
You might be right about Jost developing into a good center, but with Kadri signed for the next 3 seasons (at a sweet cap hit), and Newhook joining in 1-2 years, it's unlikely that Jost will ever get to be the 2C on this team.

That said, he'd be a brilliant 3C, with Mackinnon - Newhook - Jost down the middle (along with Kamenev/Bowers as 4C maybe).

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Give me Kreider for a 1st+ instead. Nevermind some picky Avs fans. They are the same that are always shooing every rumored player. Pretty sure they’d be against a deal involving even Ovie or McJesus, nevermind a lesser player as Kreider. Btw this guy would be the third (borderline second) best winger on the team so yes there would be a place for him, short and long term. as I have very little hope Bura will turn into a quality second line winger, i think that if the Rangers don’t have a press need to move him soon, this trade possibility could be revisited later in the season as at the TD.

I’d love to add Kreider. Between Burakovsky and Jost, I think you hope one ends up being a decent second liner, so there’s definitely a spot. No way in hell would Sakic do it now though. Maybe at the deadline.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Kreider and Andersson for 1st and Jost?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Why can't two fan bases ever talk about a trade without getting childish and nasty?

This was going fine until the much-used hard pass comment from fellow Ranger fan.

The fact is that most posters know so little about players from other organizations, there is no basis to form an honest opinion.

Regardless, the conversations would be much more enjoyable if the 8 year old snarkiness was saved for responses to truly outrageous posts.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
take Lias and Jost out. at the TD, Kreider for 1st + one of Kamenev/Meloche/Greer + conditional 2nd (if he resigns. if he doesn't, turns into a 7th). deal?

The reason why I put Jost and Andersson in is it would give the Rangers someone a little more ready to play C this year for them in the 2C spot and would allow them to move Strome and Namestnikov to free up cap in separate deals. With Kadri there, Jost most likely isn’t the 2C ever, as by the time Kadri’s deal ends, Newhook will be ready for the Avs. I’d add a conditional pick on the Rangers side if Kreider doesn’t extend with Colorado.

The deal that you listed doesn’t do a lot for us. Kamenev and Meloche don’t move the needle and Greer just got arrested in NYC at 1 Oak with Sonny Milano, so I doubt the Rangers want anything to do with him right now. Also, the conditional going from a 2nd to a 7th? Nah.

Reactions: Avaholic29

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The reason why I put Jost and Andersson in is it would give the Rangers someone a little more ready to play C this year for them in the 2C spot and would allow them to move Strome and Namestnikov to free up cap in separate deals. With Kadri there, Jost most likely isn’t the 2C ever, as by the time Kadri’s deal ends, Newhook will be ready for the Avs. I’d add a conditional pick on the Rangers side if Kreider doesn’t extend with Colorado.

The deal that you listed doesn’t do a lot for us. Kamenev and Meloche don’t move the needle and Greer just got arrested in NYC at 1 Oak with Sonny Milano, so I doubt the Rangers want anything to do with him right now. Also, the conditional going from a 2nd to a 7th? Nah.
Jost could end up playing wing quite easily. I also think your underselling Meloche as a prospect but I understand that he's not a well known guy.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Jost could end up playing wing quite easily. I also think your underselling Meloche as a prospect but I understand that he's not a well known guy.

I’m not gonna argue that as you would obviously know him better than I would. I just figured that this was a deal that would make sense for both teams.

The Rangers get a young center that could slot in at 2C this year and most likely a late 1st, Colorado gets a winger who can slot in perfectly in the top-6 on either line who gives them even more speed and size and a 1st rounder from 2017 who could be a middle-6 center in the future and if he doesn’t pan out as a 2C, could be the 3C for a long time behind MacKinnon and Newhook.

On top of that, Lias has one more year than Jost (2018 slid because he didn’t hit 10 games) and he’s one year further from arbitration eligibility as well, so he’s cost controlled for longer, with the cap concerns Colorado might have in a couple of years, I figured that would help as well, as Jost will probably command more money sooner.

I don’t know how the value would be viewed, but I tried to think of it as best as I possibly could for both sides.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I sincerely think Buchnevich has a lot of talent, but I feel like Rangers fans overrate him a bit. The organization has selected a natural RW in the top 10 in each of the past two drafts, both significantly more naturally talented than Buch, and if they keep Strome in the fold, have a middle-six player who can play either C or RW (Strome is probably better as a winger at this point). Fast is a wild card, but if he is on the roster, he is always moved up/down the lineup depending on fit/injury.

Colorado has MacKinnon-Kadri -- rolls right off the tongue -- down the middle 1-2 for the next three seasons. Compher, who I like a lot, fits nicely as that third line C/LW who can move up the lineup if needed and just signed a great contract. Him and Kadri at their $ give the Avalanche a significant three-year window starting now. Newhook is going to be very good -- but obviously 2-3 years away -- and will probably be the contingency plan for Sakic once Kadri's contract starts approaching the end. Jost can either stay at C, challenge for that third-line spot and have Compher play the wing and ride it out, or make a more permanent position switch.

Even after signing Donskoi and trading for Burakovsky, I think the Avs could definitely utilize another potential 20-goal winger who fits their timetable (they're ready to start competing this year and Buch's goal-scoring would fit in nicely with that roster group). At best, the hope with Jost is he makes a significant leap and locks down that second-line LW spot next to Kadri with Donskoi/Burakovsky on the other side this season.

I think value wise, it's pretty even. I'm definitely in the minority, but I would add another non-significant asset to get the center. Kreider would likely be a one-and-done player, and I now highly doubt he gets a first-round pick in a trade until the deadline. Trading a player and trading for a player like Jost obviously carries significant risk from both sides, but he still has really good upside. Gorton made a similar move swapping Brassard for Zibanejad, but in this case obviously the age range makes each player enticing enough for both teams.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Lias would, at best, be a lateral move for the Avs (regarding Jost). if Kreider comes, there would be no space for him, at least not in a position for him to succeed. for the Avs the idea would be bringing someone guaranteed to produce now and then go all in, for the future we already have the likes of Newhook, Kaut, Bowers... so I don't see an appeal in Lias. even more at the expense of Jost. I guess if the Rangers really want him, he could be added but then the Rangers would need to add something different (and probably more valuable, since the Avs management haven't soured on Jost. yet) than Lias. trust me, you don't want to put Jost as your #2C. unless you are aiming at Lafreniere or something. Kamenev is also a C and NHL ready. his style should fit better a bottom six center position, which is where Jost would be if playing C, in case you want some bodies for the incoming season.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I’d be happy to have Kreider, but Sakic isn’t the type of GM to trade significant assets for a rental. Only way he does is if the Avs are one of the top teams in the west and legitimately competing for a cup.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I’m not gonna argue that as you would obviously know him better than I would. I just figured that this was a deal that would make sense for both teams.

The Rangers get a young center that could slot in at 2C this year and most likely a late 1st, Colorado gets a winger who can slot in perfectly in the top-6 on either line who gives them even more speed and size and a 1st rounder from 2017 who could be a middle-6 center in the future and if he doesn’t pan out as a 2C, could be the 3C for a long time behind MacKinnon and Newhook.

On top of that, Lias has one more year than Jost (2018 slid because he didn’t hit 10 games) and he’s one year further from arbitration eligibility as well, so he’s cost controlled for longer, with the cap concerns Colorado might have in a couple of years, I figured that would help as well, as Jost will probably command more money sooner.

I don’t know how the value would be viewed, but I tried to think of it as best as I possibly could for both sides.
I just like Jost alot more than Lias. I think we have enough of those types in our system with Bowers and Kamenev that we need someone who has more potential offensively.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I’d be happy to have Kreider, but Sakic isn’t the type of GM to trade significant assets for a rental. Only way he does is if the Avs are one of the top teams in the west and legitimately competing for a cup.

Coming from a Ranger fan, I'm pretty sure its safe to say that Colorado's window has opened up. Makar has arrived.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Coming from a Ranger fan, I'm pretty sure its safe to say that Colorado's window has opened up. Makar has arrived.

I definitely agree, but with our D corp a little too green (Makar still a rookie and Byram is unlikely to play more than 9 games), I don’t think Sakic would go all in this year and trade a prime asset for a rental.

Reactions: charliemurphy

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I definitely agree, but with our D corp a little too green (Makar still a rookie and Byram is unlikely to play more than 9 games), I don’t think Sakic would go all in this year and trade a prime asset for a rental.

They're green but they will be a dominant defensive team for years to come.
As for Sakic, I think it would be dependent on who comes off the books next year for Colorado and of course whether or not he sees Kreider as being a long term piece or not.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
They're green but they will be a dominant defensive team for years to come.
As for Sakic, I think it would be dependent on who comes off the books next year for Colorado and of course whether or not he sees Kreider as being a long term piece or not.

As of now, it looks like we’re going to have another chunk of cap space to work with, so I think we could easily fit Kreider if we wanted to. However, I don’t expect the Avs to sign Kreider long term as Sakic won’t give Kreider the 7yr term he’ll want, but some desperate team that gives out awful long term deals will - I’m lookin at you VAN, EDM, MIN and BUF.

With that said, I feel like the rangers are going to be a borderline playoff team this year and won’t look to sell. Ultimately, I feel like the Isles are going to throw a lotta money at Kreider next summer and that’s where he’ll end up.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Did you miss something or it hit you on the head? Panarin is a Winger. :laugh:

Kadri vs Zibby. Not only comparable offensively, but actually better since he played 2C or 3C with Toronto with fewer opportunities. However, his offensive role changed to shutdown forward. He is substantially better defensively.

Zibanejad would be the 3C on the AVs.
If we had zib on our team, we wouldn't have traded for kadri. And I'd still take zib over most centers in the league.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad