GDT: Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Something that stinks is not easily introduced onto the internets as evidence.

Coaches have to make the GM's players fit. If they don't, they are fired. So Oates may know what answer George wants to hear when he asks, do you want Wilson in the lineup?

At this stage of the game no chance the GM is dictating lineup choices and no coach worth his salt would accept it if they tried. Early in a year when the organization is trying to figure out what they have? Sure. Now? No way... But hey if it helps the anti-McPhee rants have at it...

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
Low risk, high reward move... Not nearly as bad as some of you are making it seem.

Exactly. I feel like some people are making way too big of a deal out of this move. I understand he's a teenager playing in his first NHL game in the playoffs. But odds are he'll be skating fourth line minutes. I feel like if anything this should give the Caps a bit of a spark.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Exactly. I feel like some people are making way too big of a deal out of this move. I understand he's a teenager playing in his first NHL game in the playoffs. But odds are he'll be skating fourth line minutes. I feel like if anything this should give the Caps a bit of a spark.

Yeah, he took rushes with Hendricks and Beagle. I think I like that line as an energy line that can score (assuming anything we've heard about Wilson is accurate). But I think I'd like it better with Hendricks at C and Beagle on a wing. The handedness doesn't work out though :rant:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Yeah, he took rushes with Hendricks and Beagle. I think I like that line as an energy line that can score (assuming anything we've heard about Wilson is accurate). But I think I'd like it better with Hendricks at C and Beagle on a wing. The handedness doesn't work out though :rant:

Woah, when'd you get modded?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
yes, there's a bit of Shiny-New-Toy-itis with all the Wilson talk. Then again, Oleksy was a shiny new toy, but he ended up playing key role in the late-season push, and has shown good staying power.

and yes, the Kreider comparison is apt, too. there was so much talk about the kid, I remember being freaked out just seeing him in the lineup against us last year. you'd have thought the kid was Rocket Richard by the time the puck dropped.

i do believe that Holtby may be a bit worn out by this point, especially when you factor in the epic, high-stress late-season push just to make the playoffs. plus, if you count the visualizations, he has actually already played eight games in this series. (we are 6-2, when you count the visualizations.) if nothing else, his damned eye muscles must be tired. flicking the eyes back and forth like that.

finally, it is clear to me that #21 is seriously rusty as a Leader of Men. disputing accounts that he had sports hernia surgery, he described it instead as "a small procedure that was groin related." Leaders of Men do NOT use the words 'small' and 'groin' together when describing surgical procedures. (plus, dude, what's the big deal? so you got the Cup tattooed on your junk. just own it.)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
At this stage of the game no chance the GM is dictating lineup choices and no coach worth his salt would accept it if they tried. Early in a year when the organization is trying to figure out what they have? Sure. Now? No way... But hey if it helps the anti-McPhee rants have at it...

I am not so sure about that.

Why would Oates not prefer Volpatti Hendricks Beagle?

Was it Oates that decided that Wilson needed Hershey time... wait, who is pulling most all the strings here? Do not forget that Oates is a noob coach and at this point in his short career, may well be leaning heavily on George, or simply agreeing with that which he thinks George prefers.

Your new boss gives you a new laptop. Standing there, staring at you, like an idiot, naturally. Smiling. Nodding his head.

Don't you fire it up and use it? Or do you want to tell him no, I want to stick to the trusted old Dell Latitude C800 (think Knuble), as a bead of sweat forms on your forehead.

It was probably a joint discussion. Still though, one in which there is a boss, and a subordinate.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
yes, there's a bit of Shiny-New-Toy-itis with all the Wilson talk. Then again, Oleksy was a shiny new toy, but he ended up playing key role in the late-season push, and has shown good staying power.

and yes, the Kreider comparison is apt, too. there was so much talk about the kid, I remember being freaked out just seeing him in the lineup against us last year. you'd have thought the kid was Rocket Richard by the time the puck dropped.

i do believe that Holtby may be a bit worn out by this point, especially when you factor in the epic, high-stress late-season push just to make the playoffs. plus, if you count the visualizations, he has actually already played eight games in this series. (we are 6-2, when you count the visualizations.) if nothing else, his damned eye muscles must be tired. flicking the eyes back and forth like that.

finally, it is clear to me that #21 is seriously rusty as a Leader of Men. disputing accounts that he had sports hernia surgery, he described it instead as "a small procedure that was groin related." Leaders of Men do NOT use the words 'small' and 'groin' together when describing surgical procedures. (plus, dude, what's the big deal? so you got the Cup tattooed on your junk. just own it.)

:biglaugh:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Vegas has caps as favorites today -140. So far they have been right every game this series.

We'll see, I didnt' think the NYR would be pushovers at the MSG. I let the first two games at the VC give me a good feeling heading there. Just hope these guys can take care of business at home.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RH

What we do know is the following:

1- Its really between Volpatti and TW
2- Of the two Wilson is bigger and most likely hits harder and has more natural skill. Volpatti only has experience on him.
3- If Volpatti goes in then the 4th line would be shuffled as Hendricks is moved to center and Beagle to RW. Personally I think Beagle is the better center. If Wilson goes in then you don't have to shuffle nearly as much.
4- Any time you bring some youngblood it provides a bit of a jolt to the team.

I think its a natural decision for Oates. If it doesn't work you can always insert AV next game.

However if AV doesn't work you don't want Wilson starting on the road in his first NHL game.

Also if memory serves me correct did you not lobby for Bruce to put in a non experience Alzner into the playoffs early in the Montreal series? Give the young kids a chance? Let them cut their teeth and get their feet wet?

Regardless...whoever made the decision (Oates or GMGM) I believe its the right call for the reasons mentioned above.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
However if AV doesn't work you don't want Wilson starting on the road in his first NHL game.

Shouldn't AV get the benefit of the doubt though? Considering that line actually had worked for a couple of weeks to close the season out.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Shouldn't AV get the benefit of the doubt though? Considering that line actually had worked for a couple of weeks to close the season out.

In 2009 Bruce Boudreau did not give Theodore the benefit of the doubt after game 1 instead electing to put in a pup in Varlamov. Before that game I was insisting to my friend that is exactly what he should and probably will do.

I get the experience angle and the fact that he played reasonably well down the stretch. But I'd be willing to bet Wilson is already the better player and I think alot of people in the Caps management who have monitored him feel the same way.

While AV would provide a marginal physicality upgrade to the lineup I believe Wilson has the potential to provide a much bigger physical boost.

Wilson is part of our future. I don't see how it could hurt to let him get his feet wet.

Is it a gamble? Sure. But I think its a good one.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RH

What we do know is the following:

1- Its really between Volpatti and TW
2- Of the two Wilson is bigger and most likely hits harder and has more natural skill. Volpatti only has experience on him.
3- If Volpatti goes in then the 4th line would be shuffled as Hendricks is moved to center and Beagle to RW. Personally I think Beagle is the better center. If Wilson goes in then you don't have to shuffle nearly as much.
4- Any time you bring some youngblood it provides a bit of a jolt to the team.

I think its a natural decision for Oates. If it doesn't work you can always insert AV next game.

Also if memory serves me correct did you not lobby for Bruce to put in a non experience Alzner into the playoffs early in the Montreal series? Give the young kids a chance? Let them cut their teeth and get their feet wet?

Regardless...whoever made the decision (Oates or GMGM) I believe its the right call for the reasons mentioned above.

Know I am happy to have Wilson in the lineup.

And I may well have hyped up a kid (alzner etc) in the playoffs because the noob often over exceeds expectations on.. adrenaline.

I was playing devils advocate somewhat previously... does Wilson strike you as a Oates guy? Oates dressed Wolski a bunch, and scratched Patti a bunch as well.

Volpatti has chemistry... that 4th line looked the best it looked all year, to close out the year. Yep, with Hendricks at C. I just wish Volpatti could make it in as well.

While MJ has been good our first line kind of sucks but we have no one better to try in a shuffle. I would stick Ward there mid game if they have no offense and Oates wants a shakeup.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Depends on what you're looking for. AV adds no offensive or defensive value. He can forecheck and that's about it. So why wouldn't you go with another option if you thought there was possibly marginal value to be gained?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Know I am happy to have Wilson in the lineup.

And I may well have hyped up a kid (alzner etc) in the playoffs because the noob often over exceeds expectations on.. adrenaline.

I was playing devils advocate somewhat previously... does Wilson strike you as a Oates guy? Oates dressed Wolski a bunch, and scratched Patti a bunch as well.

Volpatti has chemistry... that 4th line looked the best it looked all year, to close out the year. Yep, with Hendricks at C. I just wish Volpatti could make it in as well.

While MJ has been good our first line kind of sucks but we have no one better to try in a shuffle. I would stick Ward there mid game if they have no offense and Oates wants a shakeup.

Actually I do think he is an Oates guy. I totally believe Oates is the driving influence behind playing more physical.

His trust and comments on Erskine. His faith in Oleksy while the Golden Stork watches from the press box. The team has been finishing checks and guys who don't normally hit are doing so (Alzner for example). This is from Oates I am convinced.

I too would like Volpatti in. The only way is if MJ struggles badly, Wilson fizzles or there is an injury.

If we need to up the physical ante the crazy insane thing to do would be to put AV in for MJ and change up the lines somewhat. I believe that is too drastic and its not warranted.

I expect MJ to have a bounceback game.

I don't think Oates is too happy about our lack of physical play in game 4 and being that Wilson has the bigger potential physical impact I think that played into the decision.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Actually I do think he is an Oates guy. I totally believe Oates is the driving influence behind playing more physical.

His trust and comments on Erskine. His faith in Oleksy while the Golden Stork watches from the press box. The team has been finishing checks and guys who don't normally hit are doing so (Alzner for example). This is from Oates I am convinced.

I too would like Volpatti in. The only way is if MJ struggles badly, Wilson fizzles or there is an injury.

If we need to up the physical ante the crazy insane thing to do would be to put AV in for MJ and change up the lines somewhat. I believe that is too drastic and its not warranted.

I expect MJ to have a bounceback game.

I hope he does, because with Erat and Laich both out IMO there's not really anyone else you can put in that spot. You want a guy who can gain the zone, and while 90 isn't the best stick handler, he creates the space with his speed. None of the other LWs can do that and are more or less forced to dump in. I want the LW carrying in with a potential eye on passing to Ovechkin, not Ovechkin chasing a hard dump in on the boards. That's not using the strengths of the player.

If 90 struggles, I think the only one who could possible fill that role (who isn't injured) is Ribeiro. I'd rather have MP there, but his line is pretty money.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I hope he does, because with Erat and Laich both out IMO there's not really anyone else you can put in that spot. You want a guy who can gain the zone, and while 90 isn't the best stick handler, he creates the space with his speed. None of the other LWs can do that and are more or less forced to dump in. I want the LW carrying in with a potential eye on passing to Ovechkin, not Ovechkin chasing a hard dump in on the boards. That's not using the strengths of the player.

If 90 struggles, I think the only one who could possible fill that role (who isn't injured) is Ribeiro. I'd rather have MP there, but his line is pretty money.

Yeah we are thin at Left shooting LW for sure. Fehr for spot duty in a pinch is fine but we really don't have an offensive players we can put up there.

Good news is that Erat seems to have improved alot according to Oates. I don't take that as a long term injury. Laich is well on his way back.

For the rest of this series we need MJ and Fehr to stay healthy and come up big.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Depends on what you're looking for. AV adds no offensive or defensive value. He can forecheck and that's about it. So why wouldn't you go with another option if you thought there was possibly marginal value to be gained?

The upside he brings, goal scoring, is not what I expect of our 4th line.

Does Oates want his 4th line to score? Definitely Wilson > Patti

He probably wants energy and zone time, softening up the Dmen. And Wilson may indeed be able to do that over Patti. The beauty is, we will see in 5 hours.

The risk is that Wilson takes a... lets just call it, a dumb penalty. A penalty contributed to lets say, youthful exuberance. This is not Alzner we are talking about, this is an aggressive physical player in a series where the refs are calling an awful lot of lame duck calls.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am not so sure about that.
Why would Oates not prefer Volpatti Hendricks Beagle?.

of course the reverse question is just as valid and equally unanswerable. we dont know the reasons they make these decisions.

does not mcphee get credit for either player. he snagged one for free off waivers and took the other in the draft.

was it really mcphee that told huntsie to play beagle 20 minutes plus and bench ovechkin?

i thought it was oates that was getting credit for the new physica/nasty direction of the capitals. so, its really all mcphee and oates has to live with it?

all this stuff is a matter of degree. does mcphee get credit for ward's 2 assist game in 4 and his 3 hit 1 assist game in g3? was he in the lineup because mcphee mandated it?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Hunts had balls.

Hunter was fired because McPhee told him he wanted more offense. Dale said "No". This was confirmed by McPhee.

I'm hoping Oates does too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

The risk is that Wilson takes a few lets just call it, a dumb penalty. A penalty contributed to lets say, youthful exuberance. This is not Alzner we are talking about, this is an aggressive physical player in a series where the refs are calling an awful lot of lame duck calls.

This is a legit concern for sure and it very well could happen. But the opposite could too...he seems to be fiesty and an agitator in his own right. He drew 2 penalties in his second game with Hershey. Risk reward.

But I think this team needs an aggressive physical player who will play on the borderline. If he gets a penalty or two then the team has to kill those for him.

Awful refs are going to be awful. We played a very passive physical game in game 4 and yet we were still flagged an absurd amount of times. Nothing will change that. They will call penalties no matter what if they are hell bent on doing so.

Stay aggressive.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hunts had balls.

Hunter was fired because McPhee told him he wanted more offense. Dale said "No". This was confirmed by McPhee.

I'm hoping Oates does too.

mcphee confirmed that he fired hunter? i missed that. you have a link?

mcphee has always said that he didnt like the turtle hockey but didnt force hunter to do anything.

by all appearances hunter never intended to do the job beyond the playoffs. he signed for just the rest of the season. he lived in a hotel. he didnt even get a car. johnson drove him anywhere that he went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad