GDT: Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think thats the case at all. I believe, along with every other pundit I have seen comment on him, that this kid is special and the Caps know this to be a fact. If anything they are trying not to talk about it to keep pressure on him to a minimum.

Oates made several comments in camp about him and liked him a great deal. I bet he could have made the team right off the bat too.

Big, mean, nasty, rediculously physical, responsible defensive, smart, can score and elevates his game in the playoffs (OHL). There is a reason he was sent right to Hershey and inserted into the lineup.

We're already at this stage in round 1? Desperation moves? Saying that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but man it's a head scratcher. The lack of top 6 production is what has kept this series even close so far. Not sure what Wilson will do to correct that.

OnlyHopeSticker.png

Someone Photoshop Wilson into this...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What evidence do you have of this besides your own anti McPhee bias? Honestly...?

Something that stinks is not easily introduced onto the internets as evidence.

Coaches have to make the GM's players fit. If they don't, they are fired. So Oates may know what answer George wants to hear when he asks, do you want Wilson in the lineup?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We're already at this stage in round 1? Desperation moves? Saying that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but man it's a head scratcher. The lack of top 6 production is what has kept this series even close so far. Not sure what Wilson will do to correct that.

We're talking about a 4th liner here. He is there to provide energy in that role. What is so desperate about it or head scratching?

Would it have made a world of difference to you that they put in Volpatti or Wolski in instead?

The hope is he will provide a physical edge and presence that will get the players and the crowd going even more. He's certainly more capable of doing that than Crabb or Wolski are and I'd imagine Volpatti too.

Apr 6, 2004
Again..why concerned about Asham?

Over the last 3 years he got into 3 fights vs true heavy's. Erskine, Orr, Parros. Got destroyed in each one. Wilson is in that mold at his size.

Asham beats down on guys in his own class and has never shown he can hang with the big boys. Wilson is not Jay Beagle. He can handle his own and then some.

Worst case Erskine gives Asham another beatdown.

Not concerned from a physicality perspective, but more so on the agitator role Asham plays. No stupid penalties is my point.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I like to see what neutral fans think when there's a questionable call or an impressive play. But I have to wade through the haters to do it. Like I said, I can't look away. Yet.

NYR actually have a larger percentage of their reasonable posters on the main boards IMO. They of course have the ridiculous ones too, and the ones who actually legitimately believe that they're being reasonable but aren't.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I like to see what neutral fans think when there's a questionable call or an impressive play. But I have to wade through the haters to do it. Like I said, I can't look away. Yet.

Yes indeed, nothing like wading through pages, lol.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not concerned from a physicality perspective, but more so on the agitator role Asham plays. No stupid penalties is my point.

Asham is not the type that tries to bait players like Avery. Dorsett may do that but since everyone knows he won't drop the gloves with a guy Wilson's size then its no biggie.

And how are you so sure he won't deliver a big hit on one of their players forcing them into a retaliatory penalty? Remember Oleksy's hit on Giroux?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Wilson won't correct that. Fehr to the 2nd line might, though, and Wilson provides a better chance of producing something on the 4th line than Volpatti (granted, also has a better chance of being totally overmatched but...)

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Vegas has caps as favorites today -140. So far they have been right every game this series.

It's been a pretty standard series. Caps opened as obvious but not overwhelming favorites. Won the game but hardly looked dominant, so repeat for game 2. Won the game, but just by a nuthair, hence becoming the marginal underdog in game 3 - on the road. Home team wins much in the same way as game 1, so repeat in game 4. Now we're back to the location switch, where DC becomes favorite since the Rangers weren't dominant in their latest win.

Fingers crossed it goes as 'expected'. If the Caps are big underdogs in game 6, tonight will have been a disaster.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We're talking about a 4th liner here. He is there to provide energy in that role. What is so desperate about it or head scratching?

Would it have made a world of difference to you that they put in Volpatti or Wolski in instead?

The hope is he will provide a physical edge and presence that will get the players and the crowd going even more. He's certainly more capable of doing that than Crabb or Wolski are and I'd imagine Volpatti too.

Let's see, we have Volpatti who has been a part of the team all along and who has by most accounts, done fairly well?

Bringing in a super young rookie to make his NHL debut over a proven member of the team seems a little desperate to me. If he comes in a immediately sparks the team it's a stroke of genius. Hell, Crabb just had a nice playoff run with Hershey.

Whatever though...it's HF...where the prospect reigns supreme and always saves the day.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Asham is not the type that tries to bait players like Avery. Dorsett may do that but since everyone knows he won't drop the gloves with a guy Wilson's size then its no biggie.

And how are you so sure he won't deliver a big hit on one of their players forcing them into a retaliatory penalty? Remember Oleksy's hit on Giroux?

EDIT: To follow up check this out:

Washington Capitals 2012 first-round pick Tom Wilson has played just two games for the Hershey Bears, but he’s already made a huge impact. After scoring 9 goals (including a hat trick) and 17 points in 12 playoff games with the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers, Wilson scored his first professional goal on Sunday for the Hershey Bears. And it happened because he got under the skin of 2011-12 AHL leading scorer Chris Bourque.

“I thought Wilson was really good,” French said after the game. “[Saturday] night, his first pro game, we monitored his minutes a little bit. He played about 10. And [Sunday] I thought he looked good again. We elevated him in our line combinations and he responded to that.”

When I asked French about how Wilson, a prospect known for his size, won a foot-race with one of the quickest players on Providence for his goal, French gushed. “I think that’s the reason why people are so high on him,” he said. “He’s obviously got the size and for a big guy he uses it. But as you mentioned, he’s got some underrated speed and puck skills. I think that’s the combination that everybody’s excited about.”
As the game went along, Wilson could also be seen getting into the game another way. Standing on the Hershey bench, Wilson constantly yapped at Providence Bruins players as they came back. He also got in a verbal sparring match with Chris Bourque while in the penalty box. French appreciated the sandpaper Wilson brought to the game.

“He gets involved!,” French exclaimed. “You know, it’s funny because when we had him in Development Camp, there was a part of his game where he liked to get involved in the discussion. I didn’t see it much [Saturday] night, but I assume with him being a little bit more comfortable, he got involved.”

Yes, yes he did. After seeing Wilson’s big night tonight, I would not be surprised if he makes the Capitals out of training camp next season. Despite only being 19-years-old, Wilson is a fiery competitor who skates really well and has good hands. His physical game can be game-changing.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/05/06/tom-wilson-scores-first-ahl-goal-draws-two-penalties-and-yaps-constantly-in-bears-5-4-loss/#more-48275

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
^love it. Wouldn't be surprised though. 1st shift - Tom Wilson - 2 minutes for hitting.

Apr 6, 2004

That's just part of the game, not saying it will or wont happen, just clarifying my concern.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
[/B]

That's just part of the game, not saying it will or wont happen, just clarifying my concern.

If you read that recap, he not only scored a goal but also drew 2 penalties. If anything maybe he will get under the RANGERS skin? We don't know.

I know you are concerned but it works both ways. There is reason for optomism too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RMNB pumping the tires of a Caps prospect? YOU DON'T SAY!?!

:laugh:

Bob McKenzieVerified account‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Early in the game, very early in career, but Plymouth's Tom Wilson, WSH 1st rder, showing all signs of being beast. #bighits #shotblocks

It's not just RMNB

Apr 6, 2004
If you read that recap, he not only scored a goal but also drew 2 penalties. If anything maybe he will get under the RANGERS skin? We don't know.

I know you are concerned but it works both ways. There is reason for optomism too.

Oh I completely agree and support the move 100%, I think the risk / reward is definitely in favor of the ladder.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
NYR actually have a larger percentage of their reasonable posters on the main boards IMO. They of course have the ridiculous ones too, and the ones who actually legitimately believe that they're being reasonable but aren't.

Those are the more frustrating ones for me. It's fascinating reading though, all of it.

Yes indeed, nothing like wading through pages, lol.

I'm not quite sure why that's funny, but have fun with it. :D

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What evidence do you have to support the other side? Just sayin...

So I need to prove a negative in your opinion...? I haven't seen any quotes from or articles about Oates where he indicates in anyway he doesn't want Wilson in the lineup. Have I missed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad