GDT: Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Volpatti may have been decent on the forecheck, but he was basically never going to generate any shots and didn't provide any defensive value either. Count me in favor of a team that tries to ice more than just bangers on the 4th line, if Wilson really is going to show more than that.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 2m Tom Wilson confirms he will play tonight.

Wow, how exciting for this kid. But is it exciting for Caps fans? Eep. I don't know. I'm pretty sure the Rangers would love to lay a huge "Welcome to the NHL" hit. Should be fun to watch. I hope he can handle the pressure!

Gameplan:

- Win.
- Stay off the main board.

Win. Absolutely. Staying off the main board is harder. I can't look away.

Also, I wonder if the Hart and Lindsay nominations will fire Ovie up even more.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I expect Wilson to throw a big hit or two. If the caps can get a lead he may see a regular shift.

The refs should toss them a bone hopefully with the added crowd noise with the debut and Ovie being named a finalist for MVP.

Apr 6, 2004
6'4 210 if I'm not mistaken. Kid can hold his own, I have no concerns about the physicality aspect. My concern is Asham taking a run at him and the aftermath of that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
6'4 210 if I'm not mistaken. Kid can hold his own, I have no concerns about the physicality aspect. My concern is Asham taking a run at him and the aftermath of that.

Again..why concerned about Asham?

Over the last 3 years he got into 3 fights vs true heavy's. Erskine, Orr, Parros. Got destroyed in each one. Wilson is in that mold at his size.

Asham beats down on guys in his own class and has never shown he can hang with the big boys. Wilson is not Jay Beagle. He can handle his own and then some.

Worst case Erskine gives Asham another beatdown.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Volpatti was good the last week of the season. Before that he was just ok IMO. Again, Wilson wouldn't be playing if Oates didn't think he was better than Volpatti. It's also better to use him here than at MSG for his 1st game IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i dont think asham is going to go looking to fight the rookie. two bad things can happen. he can get rocked by the kid who or he can stir up the caps by whipping a teenager. either way its not good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
after thinking on it...the way hillen and oleksy get the puck to the net having that monster sized kid standing in lundqvist's way may create some havoc.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Caps need to dominate and make this game a blowout or go golfing. Unrealistic, but I would like to see Wilson with a Gordie Howe hat trick. Be nice to see Callahan plastered a few times. Bring back the fan who irritated Torts a few years back.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Wow, how exciting for this kid. But is it exciting for Caps fans? Eep. I don't know. I'm pretty sure the Rangers would love to lay a huge "Welcome to the NHL" hit. Should be fun to watch. I hope he can handle the pressure!

Win. Absolutely. Staying off the main board is harder. I can't look away.

Also, I wonder if the Hart and Lindsay nominations will fire Ovie up even more.

Why bother reading the other boards, except maybe the trade forum when there is actual trade rumors?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
You guys are expecting too much from this kid.

I think it is optimism and something to look forward to more than him being a playoff hero. I'm sure there will be some posters who will call him the worst pick ever after he takes his first NHL shift. There is always a few.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not liking Wilson over Volpatti, who had been phenomenal on that 4th line. This stinks of McPhee pushing Wilson onto Oates.

I don't think thats the case at all. I believe, along with every other pundit I have seen comment on him, that this kid is special and the Caps know this to be a fact. If anything they are trying not to talk about it to keep pressure on him to a minimum.

Oates made several comments in camp about him and liked him a great deal. I bet he could have made the team right off the bat too.

Big, mean, nasty, rediculously physical, responsible defensive, smart, can score and elevates his game in the playoffs (OHL). There is a reason he was sent right to Hershey and inserted into the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad