GDT: Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
He got a penalty for it. Just look on the box score for the time.

2 different things.

The play RH was talking about the Rags were moving right to left on a rush. Nash pulls out his horrible signature move and falls on his ass.

The penalty was on Hillen dumping Nash during a board scrum for the puck.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah it was in OT right in front of Holtby. Olesky ..no call.

Ha like I needed another reason to like Oleksy. Did he trip him or hit him low?

Literally right were my DVR ends I think is where it happens. Thanks.

Olek started out the series strong, and almost predictably, was finally on for a few ugly goals against. Oates cut his time and rolled with 5D late in the last 2 games. He did have an ugly pass back towards our goal but I think didnt want to risk a pass directly across to Erskine.

He does bring his offensive game when the opening is there, and is still impressing me with his O.

--------------- To Wilson

I found a shift of Wilson's that I missed where logged 2 of hits in the middle of the 3rd.

His skating was fine for a 6'4 19 year old.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
How about that adjustment by Oates on the PP? The Rags had no idea how to handle that formation - with Ovi down low besides the net. He got like 2 or 3 good looks from there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
How about that adjustment by Oates on the PP? The Rags had no idea how to handle that formation - with Ovi down low besides the net. He got like 2 or 3 good looks from there.

Loved it, that it worked, obviously, but even more that it was strategic and considered, a real adjustment rather than throwing **** against a wall.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oates cut his time and rolled with 5D late in the last 2 games. He did have an ugly pass back towards our goal but I think didnt want to risk a pass directly across to Erskine.

i dont think he intended to do what he did. that puck into his own end put erskine in the position erskine has been so uncomfortable with and didnt they get pinned after that?

i think 61's game is holding up better than 4 right now.

did you happen to catch callejo having a quiet face to face with oates on the bench? was that where they made the d pair changes?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Loved it, that it worked, obviously, but even more that it was strategic and considered, a real adjustment rather than throwing **** against a wall.

Yeah it was back to a move standard set up wasn't it? 2 guys at the blueline, Hillen and Green. Green shoots, gets the rebound, shuffles it to Hillen for another shot that gets deflected for the score. Finally getting the Rags shot blocking skills to work against them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah it was back to a move standard set up wasn't it? 2 guys at the blueline, Hillen and Green. Green shoots, gets the rebound, shuffles it to Hillen for another shot that gets deflected for the score. Finally getting the Rags shot blocking skills to work against them.

which goal was that?

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013

the adjustment was about creating opportunity for other shooters. if you man mark ovie where he was, you have essentially created a 2v1 in front of net. Our 5v4 PP was a 4v3. Brilliant.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I guess Oates at this point feels there is nothing he can do about our top line, and will not make any changes in this series.

Let me be the first to say I would move Ovi to LW if this continues. He attacks from all angles anyways. Our LW depth is pummeled with Erat and Laich out, Wolski a write off. Our RW depth is so deep no one dared suggest moving Ward off our 4RW even though the 3 in front of him had only potted 1 PPG.

Ovi Nick Fehr
MJ Ribs Brouwer

MJ's speed is not wasted. He is still in the lineup.

I may like to see Ward tried up top but am hesitant to break our Chim P Ward line of greatness.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I said this after game 3 and everybody seemed to disagree but I contend that our best line this series has been our third line and Ovechkin and the rest of the first line needs to be better. I actually think MoJo has been the best player on the first line. If we close out this series and want to make some noise the first line has to be better.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I guess Oates at this point feels there is nothing he can do about our top line, and will not make any changes in this series.

Let me be the first to say I would move Ovi to LW if this continues. He attacks from all angles anyways. Our LW depth is pummeled with Erat and Laich out, Wolski a write off. Our RW depth is so deep no one dared suggest moving Ward off our 4RW even though the 3 in front of him had only potted 1 PPG.

Ovi Nick Fehr
MJ Ribs Brouwer

MJ's speed is not wasted. He is still in the lineup.

I may like to see Ward tried up top but am hesitant to break our Chim P Ward line of greatness.

I just re-watched 3rd and OT. Here's stuff I noticed:

* Couple of horrendous giveaways by Nicky B in the defensive zone, including the one resulting in the Stepan chance in overtime. Game could have ended there.

* Green did the same thing about a minute earlier. Bad giveaway coming up the boards, giving Callahan fantastic opportunity which Callahan was either too tired or too surprised to do anything with. Didn't even put it on net. That too could have ended game.

* Ward Perreault Chimmer are a wonder to watch right now. Actual chemistry, and a nice tendency by the puck carrier to hold onto the puck upon zone entry and cut toward the middle. Both Ward and Perreault did it at different points. Backs the D way up, and opens up shot and pass possibilities. It also reflects an awareness that NYR d-men are being overly deferential and backing up too much. MoJo (and nicky and ovie) should remember this when entering zone and try same cut toward the middle.

* Matty P's breakaway. Oh my god, Matty, you had Lundy beat by a mile. You tried to go five-hole. If you waited a fraction of second longer, the entire right side of net would have yawned in front of you.

* Wilson skated a nice shift around 10-minute mark of 3rd period. A hit, a nice retreat into D zone, and then well-positioned to receive breakout pass, followed by carrying puck up ice, across the red, and dumping to opposite corner before changing. Unremarkable but solid and very appreciated by coaches, i'm sure.

* Either because of bad ice or some of the aforementioned giveaways during breakout, Caps started using the flip-clear a lot toward the end. Or as Doc calls it, the 'sky hook.' It was a very effective safety valve.

* On the play where Carlson drove it off the post toward end of the third, Ribeiro made a very nice keep-in at blue line and then a sweet dish to 74 for the blast. 74 has such a good shot. It's a real weapon. I hope Caps take advantage of it. Also, rangers are getting nicked up blocking all these shots, e.g. Zucarello last night. Keep shooting!!!

* Ovie was indeed a beast during OT. Looked like a bull. Throwing everything on net and then crashing net for 2nd and 3rd whacks at puck. In contrast with Nash, for instance, whom Keith Jones correctly pointed out, looked to be exhausted and cramping, Ovie had all the energy in the world in OT, and that's a very good sign for us, especially for those of us who worried about an injury. Doc credited the Ovie's OT explosion to increasing confidence as the chances mounted, and I think he was right. I think confidence is always the X factor with Ovie. This game reminded me a bit of the few games before he went on his goalscoring tear. Games in which he showed energy and took a million shots. Nothing went in. But he looked clearly to be trending up. Hopefully that will be the case in Game 6.

* MoJo was dangerously bad on at least three shifts. Failed breakout passes, whiffed passes in both zones, ineffective in puck battles. And unlike the Ward Chimmer Perreault line, where there is changing of lanes and crossing over, for much of 3rd, the top line was just entering O-zone in a static, three-across formation. Easily broken up and they weren't even gettng the puck deep. MoJo did have one extremely sweet forecheck in OT, which led to the backstrom pass to ovie on right side, and the ovie shot which slammed into Lundy and trickled wide. Also worth noting that our top line gets pinned in the D-zone frequently and is not good, at least right now, in breaking out. This was partly Nicky's fault last night.

* The play where Oleksy flips Nash is with 11-ish minutes left in OT.

* Oleksy was not immune to error. I counted a giveaway behind the net and one along the halfboards.

Overall, watching with more objectivity and calm, I was super-impressed with our third period and surprised we didn't end it then. Rangers were mounting NO offensive pressure at all, and we were getting excellent chances. Rangers looked very tired in third period.

Finally, none of it means anything. Tomorrow is a clean slate. If we lose, then yes, we are coming home, but also the momentum, to the extent it exists, is with them. We need to cut down on the D-zone giveaways, and stay out of the box.

P.S. That is one of the best games I've ever seen Chimera play. He was running over people left and right, even late in the game. Sometimes two per shift. Yes he was penalized, but he also took out Clowe for the rest of the game. If I were the coaches, I would praise him lavishly.

P.P.S. I would pay some money to know what Callejo said to Oates during the tete-a-tete mentioned by Tex.

P.P.P.S. Fehr is due. Another strong game. Good speed, aggressiveness, and battles for puck. Needs to put the puck on net, though. Like Callahan for rags, he too shot way wide on a good opportunity.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Helluva a write up Troy, I have to say it all seems spot on.

I too noticed those sweet chances for the Rags early in OT that went wide.

I am not sure how much longer Fehr can be due. Eventually, you are officially snake bit. He just needs to keep hitting and he is contributing. Lucky for us, other wingers have started chipping in.

Two RH shots on the points can work but I think one has to have a strong backhand.

Halpysback*

If Oates is planning for this to be a long run he absolutely needs to get Orlov in there somehow.

Hillen-Erskine as our #4/#6 won't take us very far.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I said this after game 3 and everybody seemed to disagree but I contend that our best line this series has been our third line and Ovechkin and the rest of the first line needs to be better. I actually think MoJo has been the best player on the first line. If we close out this series and want to make some noise the first line has to be better.

I don't think anyone would have disagreed at someone saying the third line's been the best. Where is that coming from?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let me be the first to say I would move Ovi to LW.

boudreau: ov is a left wing.
rh: move him to right wing.

oates: ov should be a right wing and we are moving him there.
rh: see?? i told you, so!!

oates: ov has adjusted to being a rw and its paid off(richard trophy. hart finalist. playoffs)
rh: no, he's a left wing. let me be the first to say this.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
ovi-ward-scary-hug.png

Holy ****.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
boudreau: ov is a left wing.
rh: move him to right wing.

oates: ov should be a right wing and we are moving him there.
rh: see?? i told you, so!!

oates: ov has adjusted to being a rw and its paid off(richard trophy. hart finalist. playoffs)
rh: no, he's a left wing. let me be the first to say this.

rh = mcphee? i'm confused.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
rh = mcphee? i'm confused.

My cover is blown. What am I supposed to do when the deadline has passed, and the 2 top LWs are out, and I have no help from the black aces?

I say stuff to Oatsie and sometimes it sticks.

Know that I have been fine with Fehr at LW in the past because he has a great offside one timer. But someone has to move over. Now with Wilson in the mix, our RW has probably never been better, in the history of the org. Who is our best right shot LW?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Thinking about it... it would be logical that McPhee trades RW in the summer to fix that logjam on the right side... But you can't simply trade Ward!

LW actually is good too: MJ, BL, ME, EK. Just 3 guys N/A atm.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
mcphee said in his erat trade presser that the right side was stacked. ovechkin, brouwer, ward and wilson. why would he then trade a rw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad