GDT: Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The other sweet thing about that OT winner is that Pierre Maguire, sounding as if there had been a death in the family, was forced to acknowledge while watching the replay that Brassard's failed clear led to the goal. The rest of the broadcast was like one long wet-kiss from Pierre to Brassard. For a while I thought he was talking about Gretzky.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Would you look at that? They finally crashed th net and potted one of the 20 juicy rebounds left by Lundqvist

Alzner-Green was really good in that ridiculous OT period, which shaved several years off my life.

One of the highlights of my attendance this season: There was a really obnoxious Rangers fan in the next section over. He mocked every Caps cheer: 'Let's go blue', 'Capitals suck', etc. as loud as he could. Cheered incessantly whenever the Rags did something good. Just general douchery.

After the goal, he sat in his seat, dumbstruck for a good 5 minutes, staring into space. when he finally came down the stairs, we could see that he was crying his eyes out. Tears streaming down his cheeks. It was glorious.
Probably snowblindNYR. If you go on the main boards, you'd understand :D

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I am not so sure about that.

Why would Oates not prefer Volpatti Hendricks Beagle?

All the friggin' time we think our lineup choices are better than the coach's so is the GM making those up also? That's your reasoning, that in your opinion Hendricks at center and Volpatti and Beagle on the wings makes more sense than Beagle at center and Hendricks and Wilson on the wings so McPhee must have made the decision? Well there you go, it doesn't get more concrete than that...

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Wilson

I hope the experiment with Wilson is over and either Volpatti or Crabb get in. Wilson has to learn how to play in this league but now is not the time. He will have many years in this league and now is the time he should sit and watch and listen. We need more experience right now and I think either Volpatti or crabb should play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Favorite part of Wilson's game? There was a scrum in the corner where both teams skated in after the whistle. Wilson got right in Callahan's face, and was giving him some choice words. His stick was about five feet away on the ice, and would definitely have gone if Cally had obliged.

Overall, good effort after the first period. Awful in the first, but really tilted the ice in the second and third. OT was sloppy all around, but I can't blame them for trying to end the game whenever the Rangers gave them a chance in transition.

Most interesting observation of finally seeing a playoff game in person this year, clearing the puck over the Rangers forecheck. Have they been sending that many pucks airborne down ice the whole series, and it's just not as obvious on TV? Seemed to work pretty well when the puck carrier was in a bad spot.

From my view, it seemed like Oleksy had a worse game than Erskine (other than his chance in the 3rd). Had two or three real bad passes on the breakout, that either turned the puck over or put his partner in a bad spot. Granted, it's sometimes hard to keep track of our defenders from section 424, so I may have missed some of his better plays during the 2nd and OT.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Would you look at that? They finally crashed th net and potted one of the 20 juicy rebounds left by Lundqvist

Alzner-Green was really good in that ridiculous OT period, which shaved several years off my life.

One of the highlights of my attendance this season: There was a really obnoxious Rangers fan in the next section over. He mocked every Caps cheer: 'Let's go blue', 'Capitals suck', etc. as loud as he could. Cheered incessantly whenever the Rags did something good. Just general douchery.

After the goal, he sat in his seat, dumbstruck for a good 5 minutes, staring into space. when he finally came down the stairs, we could see that he was crying his eyes out. Tears streaming down his cheeks. It was glorious.

:handclap:

NewClearWinter

Jun 3, 2011
College Station, TX
The other sweet thing about that OT winner is that Pierre Maguire, sounding as if there had been a death in the family, was forced to acknowledge while watching the replay that Brassard's failed clear led to the goal. The rest of the broadcast was like one long wet-kiss from Pierre to Brassard. For a while I thought he was talking about Gretzky.

Ohh come one, Pierre isn't THAT biased. I think the guy does a solid job. Always enjoy broadcasts with him.

That being said, the OT winner was definitely sweet:yo:

NewClearWinter

Jun 3, 2011
College Station, TX
Favorite part of Wilson's game? There was a scrum in the corner where both teams skated in after the whistle. Wilson got right in Callahan's face, and was giving him some choice words. His stick was about five feet away on the ice, and would definitely have gone if Cally had obliged.

Overall, good effort after the first period. Awful in the first, but really tilted the ice in the second and third. OT was sloppy all around, but I can't blame them for trying to end the game whenever the Rangers gave them a chance in transition.

Most interesting observation of finally seeing a playoff game in person this year, clearing the puck over the Rangers forecheck. Have they been sending that many pucks airborne down ice the whole series, and it's just not as obvious on TV? Seemed to work pretty well when the puck carrier was in a bad spot.

From my view, it seemed like Oleksy had a worse game than Erskine (other than his chance in the 3rd). Had two or three real bad passes on the breakout, that either turned the puck over or put his partner in a bad spot. Granted, it's sometimes hard to keep track of our defenders from section 424, so I may have missed some of his better plays during the 2nd and OT.

Disagree on this point. I thought Oleksy had a great game overall, especially that Green-like move towards the net:naughty:. On the defensive side I thought he was really solid. Erskine on the other hand made some questionable plays from below the goal line and looked a little slow.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Ohh come one, Pierre isn't THAT biased. I think the guy does a solid job. Always enjoy broadcasts with him.

That being said, the OT winner was definitely sweet:yo:

His problem is he keeps talking and has to let folks know he is the hockey wikipedia. I don't mind it when he points out facts etc. However, when it comes to the Pens, Hawks, Rangers, Montreal, and Toronto he'll go into overload. He's like a Hockey version of C-3P0.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
His problem is he keeps talking and has to let folks know he is the hockey wikipedia. I don't mind it when he points out facts etc. However, when it comes to the Pens, Hawks, Rangers, Montreal, and Toronto he'll go into overload. He's like a Hockey version of C-3P0.

99% of the time he's saying something annoying or bad mouthing the caps. I'll say it again. He's annoying as ****.

NewClearWinter

Jun 3, 2011
College Station, TX

I can agree with this. But while CP30 is annoying, the encyclopedia act is also endearing IMO. Yeah it can get tiresome, but it's his personality and it at least keeps things interesting.

And I'm not entirely sure what the other poster is talking about. Can't recall a single time he's badmouthed the Caps, but maybe I'm just not listening.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I know he's young, but damn Wilson looked slow. He seemed to be sound when he was on the ice, but when he'd take off there was just no get up and go. I'm hoping that's attributed to not playing in the NHL this year, being a kid, and probably quite a bit of nerves.

However, that is a big kid.

NewClearWinter

Jun 3, 2011
College Station, TX
I know he's young, but damn Wilson looked slow. He seemed to be sound when he was on the ice, but when he'd take off there was just no get up and go. I'm hoping that's attributed to not playing in the NHL this year, being a kid, and probably quite a bit of nerves.

However, that is a big kid.

My one thought on Wilson: "He looks like a 19 yr old in the NHL"

He didn't make any mistakes, but he looked like a boy among men. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt though: First NHL game, Stanley Cup playoffs, new system, new teammates, etc.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I can agree with this. But while CP30 is annoying, the encyclopedia act is also endearing IMO. Yeah it can get tiresome, but it's his personality and it at least keeps things interesting.

And I'm not entirely sure what the other poster is talking about. Can't recall a single time he's badmouthed the Caps, but maybe I'm just not listening.

The Montreal series he was pretty bad.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
My one thought on Wilson: "He looks like a 19 yr old in the NHL"

He didn't make any mistakes, but he looked like a boy among men. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt though: First NHL game, Stanley Cup playoffs, new system, new teammates, etc.

He did more than I thought I would see for a teenager playing his first NHL game. I can't wait until he becomes a regular player and he is still going to grow physically. I'm already ready to buy a jersey :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad