GDT: Rangers at Capitals Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Exactly, those kind of people take into account advanced stats too much. They forget that hockey is not baseball. There are too many intangibles like scoring chances, speed, and zone time.

The Rangers may have out shot us, but it doesn't take into account the number of scoring chances, breakaways, and cycles done by the Caps. The number of breakaways is unparalleled to any playoff game I've seen in years; which is awesome.
ESP/60, brah.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i agree that the rangers really won the game. it was only the bad reffing of asham's shoulder into hillen's jaw being seen as a penalty that gave the caps pp a chance and only bad luck that the rangers hit the post on the two on one and yea, there was evidence that the puck was in but we all know right?

the rangers really won that game. so....i will take three more just like that and move on.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Ua0WILE.png

bMDsja8.png

I love this kids face!!

How awesome to have this, when he grows up he'll remember that plus to have that immortalized forever on the NHL page. Lucky kid.

Seriously that made my day though, so cute. :) he is so happy. Could not have captured that at a better moment.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well, it was hardly a dominating performance by us, and we dodged bullets on Hagelin's crossbar and Moore's vanishing puck, not to mention a long stretch of panicky, prevent-D style protection in the 3rd.

On the other hand, luck went the other way too, with Ovie hitting a post and with us having a virtual shooting gallery from about 15 feet out on that one PP after we were already up 3-1. I couldn't believe none of those went in.

MoJo scored nice goal off beautiful 61 feed, but man, MoJo also made an incredibly boneheaded turnover which almost led to an NYR goal. Plus he is not strong on the puck. (But we knew that.)

I feel fortunate that we won that game. Basically our goalie played better, and more of the bounces went our way. I didn't think reffing was horrible one way or the other. I was impressed w/ 74's speed on the pivot to stay with Hagelin. I thought he was toast there. Hagelin was good all night long.

you make my point for me really. the caps dodged no fewer bullets than the rangers did. isnt it really fair to say that hagelin had a legit breakaway and holtby stopped him and that johansson had a legit breakaway, a level of difficulty to catch the pass and go far greater than hagelin's btw, and the caps scored? the disappearing puck was a awkward save, but a save. i saw nothing that says that was a goal that nobody saw. posts are posts and both teams had them. they are not bad luck but missed shots. players miss wide open nets all the time. sometimes they miss then by a mile and sometimes by the width of the goal post.

the caps scored two legit goals to the rangers zero. each team got a cheezy goal. no, it wasnt a 5-0 slam dunk, but it was a solid win that the caps earned.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I love this kids face!!

How awesome to have this, when he grows up he'll remember that plus to have that immortalized forever on the NHL page. Lucky kid.

Seriously that made my day though, so cute. :) he is so happy. Could not have captured that at a better moment.

Imagine if his dad visits HFB.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what did people think about the 2nd line? I thought they played below-par.

Erat needs to be more trigger happy and Ribs needs to be less flashy in the playoffs, I think that almost cost us a goal with Hagelin going the other way when he no-looked a pass to Green at the blueline(he needs to dump that **** in).

I liked the way Brouwer played. I guess they limited scoring opps the other way.

Vladiator16*

Well done, boys... Well ****ing done!

Callaghan is a little **** stain. >Backstrom is overrated. Is Lunkvist rattled? i hope so...

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what did people think about the 2nd line? I thought they played below-par.

Erat needs to be more trigger happy and Ribs needs to be less flashy in the playoffs, I think that almost cost us a goal with Hagelin going the other way when he no-looked a pass to Green at the blueline(he needs to dump that **** in).

I liked the way Brouwer played. I guess they limited scoring opps the other way.

They certainly seemed to me like the one that got hemmed in the Dzone the worst. Not sure if that was actually true, but that's how it looked to me at least earlier in the game.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

I thought they were quite good. They had a beastly shift in the 3rd. They started off a little slow but picked things up. Like Randy said though, Erat definitely tries to make some difficult passes which leads to turning the puck over. If they play how they did in the 3rd, they'll be very very good.

I thought lines 1-3 looked good last night.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
That makes sense regarding the 2nd line. They beasted in the 3rd even with Ribs throwing some weight around. The need to get pucks to the net or dump, flashy passes don't often work in the playoffs.

OVs Gold Chain*

Bonehead penalty last night aside, signing Erat helped this team so much from a depth perspective, and that's without Laich. It's weird having 3 lines that are a threat to score (with a 4th line that can potentially dominate possession).

The Rangers have no answers for the Caps' depth with Staal out, Girardi already logged 29 minutes in a regulation loss. Had that game gone to OT the Caps would have had an enormous advantage from a stamina perspective. Keep wearing down McD/Girardi and the secondary scoring will continue.

Still can't stop laughing at their fans who are dying for Derek Dorsett to be back. Guy hasn't played a single game as a Ranger and is a career minus player/PIM hoarder. Please put another PIM-eating agitator on the ice against the #1 powerplay.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

i think they could improve but they did have a pretty solid game. they had a couple of two on one's or breakaways with brouwer involved. erat had his breakaway. ribs had a couple of quality chances. mcguire pointed out ribeiro's backchecking.

they could have finished a chance and that would have made their effort look better

OVs Gold Chain*

I know Fehr got a penalty for this, but what a monster hit.

iDqbvPd9JCM4h.gif

Even just a year ago the Caps would have just stood around or maybe said a few words to guys getting in Holtby's face. Doesn't seem like that sort of behavior slides anymore,

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know Fehr got a penalty for this, but what a monster hit.

iDqbvPd9JCM4h.gif

first go around eric fehr would never have done that. interesting insight from mcphee and staff learning that he had matured. he's a different player.

i also read his lips post scrum when a ranger player unknown was apparantly challenging him. he said, "ok, i'm here. i'm here. bring it."

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
The Caps playoff destiny will ride on that 2nd line in my opinion. They didn't score last night, but had some really good shifts, and some bad ones. I think they're still trying to gel.

Caps gotta go for the juggular tomorrow and send a message that game 1 wasn't fluky, or bad officiating, or luck...it was actually the best chance the Rangers will have to win a game, and that being said, it wasn't much of a chance at all.

#YFTF

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
first go around eric fehr would never have done that. interesting insight from mcphee and staff learning that he had matured. he's a different player.

i also read his lips post scrum when a ranger player unknown was apparantly challenging him. he said, "ok, i'm here. i'm here. bring it."

Generally disagree. He's always been one of the highest compete level players on the team (it really stood out amongst the pulse-less players of the past 5 years). Fehr was the only forward not named Ovechkin who even bothered to show up against Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad