Confirmed with Link: Rangers announce jimmy vesey signing

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I see the Rangers media team already got the cheesy "Welcome back Jimmy" tweet up. That means there's an unpaid graphics design intern sitting at home right now watching three seasons worth of Vesey Rangers tape trying to find three minutes of positive play to sync to a Nickelback song to play on the jumbotron before Jimmy Vesey night in November.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
No, I said this too. Even just from an organization need standpoint Hughes made more sense but, in the end, none of this mattered as we had no choice to make.

Again, no.

Pro Panarin too.

Pro Trouba - you were just wrong on this one. It's okay.

I highly doubt it. I was lukewarm on Nemeth but he was clearly dealing with something last year that we might never know about. Happy to have Jones with a shot at that slot.

Jury is out after a year. We'll see, but I tend to agree with the contract. Hard to make a call this early but there's no reason to think it's not a bargain.

Not against Goodrow. $ is too high but you don't win Cups without players like this. Sad but true.

Drury made the best of a bad position. I don't think there's much more that could've been done differently other than trading him earlier but everyone knew the Rangers couldn't sign him and took advantage of that. Kudos to the market for that.

He was not a "total bust" by any stretch of the definition and the Rangers burying him and buying him out was one of the worst organizational moves the Rangers have ever made. It was dumb as nuts.

100% disagree

Clearly not.

Oof

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I see the Rangers media team already got the cheesy "Welcome back Jimmy" tweet up. That means there's an unpaid graphics design intern sitting at home right now watching three seasons worth of Vesey Rangers tape trying to find three minutes of positive play to sync to a Nickelback song to play on the jumbotron before Jimmy Vesey night in November.

Another rw who can't pass. Vatrano totally f*cked us with that 'skill'.

And he was about 20x the goal scorer Vesey is.

Meh

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
He was fine and will be a good 4th liner... but we have Goodrow, Hunt and Reaves...

so, he's redundant or it means he's going to be overslotted..... which is much worse
For crying out loud can people stop calling Goodrow a 4th liner.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think what irks some people is that if Kravtsov struggles too much early on Vesey is fairly likely to move into a top 6 spot in the lineup. It might even happen right off the bat. It wouldn’t be ideal. Vesey doesn’t have the skills really of a top 6 player. Kravtsov does but seems lost way too much in preseason competition. For me right now both of them are a comedown from Frank Vatrano who we couldn’t afford but these are some of the things he did that are missing from Vitali’s game…..direct paths to the net….makes himself available for passes….doesn’t overpass or waste shot opportunities.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is what you like to see from camp. Dude stepping up and forcing the hand.

For crying out loud can people stop calling Goodrow a 4th liner.

Let me put it this way, and I hope most people agree.

Goodrow is not a 4th liner, right, but if he's on the forth line of your team, you're good. Assuming the top 9 are really that stacked, not some Rongo type shit, like Hunt on the 2nd line and such.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think with this signing it should a message to whoever signs the checks that our scouting and developement staff need some work and or more of an investment . I know we have made changes in scouting....I wonder if that is enough ?

Reactions: NikC

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
LOOK AT THIS VESEYGRAPH

He outplayed Kravtsov and a lot of the bottom 6 forwards, so no shocker.
aside from the first game , he really hasn't done much. The same Vesey we know and love.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Meh, I have a feeling this will be one of those signings where 20 games into the season we will be scratching our heads asking why the hell did we sign this guy again. But as long as he sticks to the bottom line/depth role then I don’t mind too much . Just keep him away from the top 6.

I think the question we are going to have is why is Rydahl not here?

Carpenter, Hunt, and Reaves are all net negative, sub-replacement level players.

I think Vesey has a chance to be a positive player as long as he's relegated to the bottom six or at least the bottom line, and Rydahl I would actually expect to be a positive player there.

I have no idea what Gallant is doing with this.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut

Carpenter, Hunt, and Reaves are all net negative, sub-replacement level players.

I think Vesey has a chance to be a positive player as long as he's relegated to the bottom six or at least the bottom line, and Rydahl I would actually expect to be a positive player there.

True. I would much prefer him over hunt, but clearly gallant just loves hunt. They won’t get rid of reaves as they don’t have anyone on the roster who could play his type of game. Carpenter looked bleh in preseason but don’t want to judge him too much without seeing him in the games that actually matter.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
He 100% earned it. Not just “kind of”. He worked his f***ing ass off.
I agree he worked his butt off; semantically "kind of" for me just meant, like, yeah sure, he deserves it. And we all saw it coming. But it's Vesey, so a "kind of" *shrug* from me just tells you how I feel about him overall.

I certainly didn't expect him to go Kravtsov mode and "save his energy for the real thing" lol, this was the guy's last chance to save his career.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I hope people don't kill Vesey if he's overused. He's probably better than 2-3 other guys that will be on the roster, and if he ends up getting pushed ahead of someone like Kravtsov while Kravtsov looks like a corpse on the ice, that's not Vesey's vault. He's a professional just doing his job.
Hey we are New York sports fans! Do you really think we would overreact to a coach's roster decisions?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
This signing concerns me for the simple reason that I am concerned that we don't have any useful depth in Hartford. No one came in and won a job. Othman came close, but the organization made clear early on that he was going back and reasserted that position by sending him down as quickly as they did. I don't want to see Vessey anywhere near the top 6 on a regular basis. Bottom 6, fine. Kille penalties, take some faceoffs, eat minutes etc,

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

because he is waiver exempt? I dunno, maybe they work out a trade. Rydahl will hopefully force his way on to the roster by the end of November.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
because he is waiver exempt?

That would make sense if the player they weren't risking losing instead of Rydahl was a player worth keeping. Carpenter is sub replacement level.

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
I think what irks some people is that if Kravtsov struggles too much early on Vesey is fairly likely to move into a top 6 spot in the lineup. It might even happen right off the bat. It wouldn’t be ideal. Vesey doesn’t have the skills really of a top 6 player. Kravtsov does but seems lost way too much in preseason competition. For me right now both of them are a comedown from Frank Vatrano who we couldn’t afford but these are some of the things he did that are missing from Vitali’s game…..direct paths to the net….makes himself available for passes….doesn’t overpass or waste shot opportunities.
If Kravstov can't beat out Jimmy Vesey at league minimum that's on him. Comparing Vesey to Vatrano who makes 5x as much is ridiculous. Vesey in a top 9 role is temporary. Eventually, one of Kravstov/Blais will have to overtake him or be traded.

Reactions: maris

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He's not "unpaid" really... he gets free MSG GO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad