LeBrun: Rangers and Montreal possibly talking trade. Habs interested in NYR prospects

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
If this is the way that the trade talks are going then the rangers and Canadians will not be making a deal. If all the rangers prospects are untouchables then the rangers may not be making a deal this year

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No he took an actual puck to the head against the Isles this year. Perhaps that injury precedes the wrist.

He's not a 30-40 point player... He had 23 pts in 44 games last year and 20 pts in 32 games this year. His totals for seasons with 70+ games played in MTL are 46 pts in 77 games (playing as the number 1 C) and 53 pts in 81 games. He's closer to a 50-60pt winger than a 30-40pt one. As an expiring contract at 2.25 M he is so, so, so far from negative value. He also is a playoff performer.

It's like we're talking about two different players.

Drouin is a risk and not likely to return anything regardless of the retention. Terrible work ethics and never reached 60 points. Defensively, garbage with his poor attitude. Playoffs? Left the team during the race to the finals. He was exposed in the Expansion Draft and could have been selected and retained to flip for more assets.

Buyout is more realistic than expecting a 1st or 2nd.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If this is the way that the trade talks are going then the rangers and Canadians will not be making a deal. If all the rangers prospects are untouchables then the rangers may not be making a deal this year

They honestly shouldn't, they aren't close to contending.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
we can't know if this guy has connections or not

but IMHO I don't believe a deal with such pieces happens without some B/B+/A- youth coming back to NYR
- a la Tuch, Mysek, Dobes, Struble, Jack Smith, etc ....
(Harris, LD leaving NCAA this coming off-season, is not a fit for NYR ...)

i know some guys will want to reply defiant and nasty, but why?
we are all just speculating,
and it's not outrageous for some youth to come back, in exchange for two still-young recent 1st-rounders plus multiple picks ...

Reactions: FloJack

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I doubt they’re all untouchable. If the Rangers brass feels like they can go for it now, and sacrifice a prospect for someone they believe will help now, they’d do it. It’s just a matter of whether they believe it to be worth the risk and whether the Habs consider the value to be fair.

And teams management view players differently than people on HFboards

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY

Just an absurd passive aggressive statement.

I'd say almost every player not on the roster at the moment can be had in a trade with the exception of Othmann who was recently drafted.

Just because Rangers fans don't want to trade their most recent first round pick for a 3rd line winger does not mean that all their prospects are untouchables.

Kravtsov or Robertson as a base and adding a 3rd would be a very fair return for a guy like Lehkonen. You'll be severely disappointed if you think he's worth much more than that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

but IMHO I don't believe a deal with such pieces happens without some B/B+/A- youth coming back to NYR

and it's not outrageous for some youth to come back, in exchange for two still-young recent 1st-rounders plus multiple picks ...

He doesn't, so you don't have to worry about that.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal

he said in a reply he was joking. That’s not a rumor

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
That would be perfect unless we can move Strome for a high pick or good prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ken Holland traded for Duncan Keith. You trying to tell me hockey GMs don't do stupid things? This is such a lazy argument. Do better.

Curious to know what top reporters said about it? Cause this is where the "possible" 1st has come from with Chiarot. Was that something reporters considered of value to the Oilers (Keith trade) like it is with Chiarot today?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Why would you lie about this?

Click bait tweet.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
That's likely close to the ceiling as well. Zuccarello went for 2nd + 3rd. And he's better than Janmark and Lek.

Incorrect about Zuccarello, he went for two conditional 1st round picks. One was very easy to meet, he just had to sign with the Stars. The other was also very close, Stars make it to 2nd round.

The league changed the rules after this trade, that 1st became a factor in contract negotiations, and that's not good. Players should not lose money because of this.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Beyond something around Kravtsov for Lehkonen or NYR trading a 2nd+ a worse prospect for Lehkonen I don’t see these 2 teams doing much more business at this point in time.

Lehkonen’s next deal is likely to be around 3-3.5 mill. That’s at the top of the market for 3rd liners.
Goodrow got that In UFA and he was instrumental in 2 cup victories.

as far as Lehkonen comparing to Zucc, Zucc was a known 60pt offensive player. Not a 3rd liner that needs a raise. That’s comparing apples to bowling balls.

if Lehkonen had 2-3 years left at 2.3 million, I think it would improve his value a bit. But I don’t see anyone paying a 1st for him.
Sorry MtL fans.
Good player, good 3rd liner, but the finances matter in these kid of deals. Plus he’s not the only game in town as far as 3rd line players being available at the TDL.

If NYR can’t get him for 1 of the above deals, shift their sights on a different target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Dvorak, Suzuki or Caufield.

The latter two are untouchable.

Would Habs part with either for Laf?

Anyway, Dvorak is reasonable for Kravtsov and a first rounder. Please no Chiarot.

I think Laf will have a better career than Caufield, so i would absolutely be willing to part with him. I think he is the most complete player, though Caufield may score more goals than him as far as i know. Suzuki I'd keep, in majority because he is a C

Reactions: CasusBelli

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There is a lot of smoke around the Habs and Rangers.

My sense is Hughes is not a guy like MB to have a 100 lines in the water, so if he is talking this much to the Rangers, then it is serious.

Most importantly , each team has assets the other team can use. Rangers are good enough to make a run, Habs are rebuilding.

Thinking it will be for multiple pieces on either side. Wondering if there will be a surprise player going to the Rangers.

Fun time of year.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

My sense is Hughes is not a guy like MB to have a 100 lines in the water, so if he is talking this much to the Rangers, then it is serious.

Most importantly , each team has assets the other team can use. Rangers are good enough to make a run, Habs are rebuilding.

Thinking it will be for multiple pieces on either side. Wondering if there will be a surprise player going to the Rangers.

Fun time of year.
There was a lot of smoke around the Rangers and Canucks too. Looks more and more like Miller is staying. I think Drury is not going to move anything more then secondary assets. Especially after losing the Buchnevich trade.

Reactions: cheech70

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Fun time of year.
Agreed, I think both the rangers and Habs if true are trying to wrap up quickly as there is a lot of smoke on our board around people who've heard things like "chariot is getting traded v. soon, one guys kids is in his dads class and his dad and him we're talking the trade yesterday"

Reactions: yianik

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I mean he was the first to get St. Louis as coach which no one saw coming

EDIT: one thing that may be holding this up is that the deal is contigent on one of Lehk/chariot resigning

That tweet sounded more like he wanted St. Louis as the head coach than reporting the news.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Any player by the name of Pitlick in the NYR organization?
If there's any, the Habs want him in a package or no deal
Just can't get enough of Pitlicks...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

EDIT: one thing that may be holding this up is that the deal is contigent on one of Lehk/chariot resigning

I was not aware he reported the MSL hiring before it happened. Interesting news to me

And as far as the trade and then extension, I always had the hunch that if a team paid us the price we want for Chiarot, the other team might want to talk extension with him where they get him for maybe another 2 or 3 years at a AAV they are OK with (and Chiarot... cause they are asking him to bypass his UFA)

As far as Lehkonen, he has little leverage in the RFA arbitration so if he is traded, the team that gets him has him under team control for one more season and sign/trade might not be required.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

just my feeling, but Chiarot re-signing may NOT be a priority for NYR, LD pipeline is deep,
commmit to Chiarot could near-term affect Jones, Robertson, 2 near-ready top prospects with complementary games, as well as others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad