LeBrun: Rangers and Montreal possibly talking trade. Habs interested in NYR prospects

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If Gorton and Hughes were meeting with Bobrov, you'd best believe that Kravtsov is the most likely destination for Montreal.

Is there any update on Drouin? Out indefinitely with a wrist injury. 5.5 this year and next. Obviously had his battles with mental health, glad he's come out on the other side of that and is working on it.

If healthy, what is the price on him? I feel he would fill a big role on the team either on the top line with Kreider and Zibanejad playing a facilitator role or on a 3rd line where he could be the player that the offense runs through.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The sad thing : as a Habs fan, he would be MTLs n1 Dman right now :'(
It's not a sad thing, Trouba has been very good for the Rangers.

People think he sucks because he's slightly overpaid, but he's been a damn good defenseman this season - last year too. He only struggled his first year here, which was all the fans of other teams who don't watch the Rangers needed to declare he sucks forever.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Question to the Ranger fans.
Who do you like the most. Your #1 Rated prospect D-man Lundqvist or your # 2 rated prospect also a D-man Schneider?
Number #1 rated prospect (if even rated #1), has more all around skill. Number #2 rated prospect is harder to find when you need that player on your team.

Reactions: smoneil

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
If Gorton and Hughes were meeting with Bobrov, you'd best believe that Kravtsov is the most likely destination for Montreal.

Is there any update on Drouin? Out indefinitely with a wrist injury. 5.5 this year and next. Obviously had his battles with mental health, glad he's come out on the other side of that and is working on it.

If healthy, what is the price on him? I feel he would fill a big role on the team either on the top line with Kreider and Zibanejad playing a facilitator role or on a 3rd line where he could be the player that the offense runs through.

They are. It was confirmed by Hughes himself yesterday.

As for Drouin, all quiet. He's still injured from that puck to the head. If healthy, he will get a 2nd or 1st. We can wait until next year when he is a UFA to be and retain 50%. 50-60pt winger for 2.25M is worth a first. He's also a playoff performer.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

As for Drouin, all quiet. He's still injured from that puck to the head. If healthy, he will get a 2nd or 1st. We can wait until next year when he is a UFA to be and retain 50%. 50-60pt winger for 2.25M is worth a first. He's also a playoff performer.

I think it was a wrist injury.
I think Drouin is getting a 2nd round pick next year

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
yes!

No. Jones + Nils L are similar, but Nils has the best shot of all D on the team right now, he replaces Schneider at 3RD when Trouba exits promoting Schneid. Jones, very early, but as a Fox lite has good value and is the only superfluous guy we have to spare.

There is a potential megadeal, and it could be LaF to Habs, but it will require massive overpay and concession side deals. Have been busy but will try to post this thread later no later than the w'e.

Agree, except Nils w/his best shot is the clear keeper over Jones.

Yes, except ONLY as to shot ONLY Nils is best shot of all D. Otherwise Schneid is clearly better.

IMO, I believe he wants NHL career + shot at the cup. I believe he will take any fair deal, but not a 2 way contract. And properly, he doesn't want anyone trying to make him eat any more crapola.

pls see comments above

Krav to MON can make sense, but only if a 1st [not this year's exceptionally high value 1st] but one estimated as middle of the pack or better [not a late one] is on the table.
Nothing less or pays for NY to keep and showcase
Not a shot in hell krav brings back any type of 1st rd pick with his baggage.
He left for Russia twice, and has thought he’s above AHL hockey since his draft year.
Anyone trading for him has to give him a top 9 nhl spot/ice time, or risk him leaving again.
That’s really not appealing to many teams. Rebuilding teams can likely offer him that chance, but not a deep team with internal competition in camp...
That’s a huge stipulation/condition and has a large affect on trade value

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Dvorak, Suzuki or Caufield.

The latter two are untouchable.

Would Habs part with either for Laf?

Anyway, Dvorak is reasonable for Kravtsov and a first rounder. Please no Chiarot.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It's not a sad thing, Trouba has been very good for the Rangers.

People think he sucks because he's slightly overpaid, but he's been a damn good defenseman this season - last year too. He only struggled his first year here, which was all the fans of other teams who don't watch the Rangers needed to declare he sucks forever.

I don't think he sucks but I don't think he should be a Top pairing Dman, maybe a 3D definitely a top 4 though. But I agree there is this biais on hf among fans : since he is overpaid, it means he sucks.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Dvorak, Suzuki or Caufield.

The latter two are untouchable.

Would Habs part with either for Laf?

Anyway, Dvorak is reasonable for Kravtsov and a first rounder. Please no Chiarot.

Reasonable for Montreal and their fans I am sure. They rid themselves of what is looking like a mistake they made in the offseason and recoup more than what they gave up.
And yes you are right Suzuki and Caufield should be untouchable. They shouldn't even be discussed Montreal needs them and they are talented players.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Definitely a big reason I would love to make this move, but if he is still dealing with that, it just doesn't seem like the right time to make that move. There is still a month for things to change in that regard. Would not shock me if there are some talks there.

Reactions: Gravity

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Would something around Chiraot + Lehkonen for Kravstov + 2022 1st + cap (Nemeth) make sense?

Habs have said one of their goals is to clear cap space over the next little while. If they do indeed make a deal with the Rangers, I don't see them taking back Nemeth, who has 2 years left after this season at 2.5M AAV.

Habs can retain up to 50% of Chiarot and Lehkonen. Chiarot will be 1.75M and Lehkonen will be 1.15M (even though cap hits are prorated so they'd count for even less than that).

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Reasonable for Montreal and their fans I am sure. They rid themselves of what is looking like a mistake they made in the offseason and recoup more than what they gave up.
And yes you are right Suzuki and Caufield should be untouchable. They shouldn't even be discussed Montreal needs them and they are talented players.

As a Habs fan, I don't see why they would trade Dvorak now, they are already thin at C, he has been playing in line with his contract, a bit lower like everybody in this bad season (close to 40 points on a full season basis). I'd get why NYR would not pay the price but I don't get why the Habs would sell him at a discount...

Reactions: bl02

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Imagine if the situation was reversed and a Habs fan said that. There would be like 100 posts attacking it and saying "We overvalue our prospects". Sorry to those who don't want to hear this but I stand firm. There are fans from every team that over value their prospects. Reality

yup! I think the percentage is similar, but the numbers and the passion for the team isnt

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Drouin is suffering a wrist injury and out indefinitely. Puck to the head is maybe confusing the mental health issues?

Contract value is negative. He can barely stay healthy physically and mentally remains unknown. He might have incredible skills, but he's closer to a 30-40 point player that doesn't play defence. Retaining 50% could return a higher pick, but few teams with the Cap are willing to gamble the $2.25M for dead money.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Habs have said one of their goals is to clear cap space over the next little while. If they do indeed make a deal with the Rangers, I don't see them taking back Nemeth, who has 2 years left after this season at 2.5M AAV.

Habs can retain up to 50% of Chiarot and Lehkonen. Chiarot will be 1.75M and Lehkonen will be 1.15M (even though cap hits are prorated so they'd count for even less than that).
Rangers don't need any retention this season. We have more deadline cap space than Montreal currently has in points + 6 0's.

Can you sign Lehkonen and then retain? Thanks!

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Drouin is suffering a wrist injury and out indefinitely. Puck to the head is maybe confusing the mental health issues?

Contract value is negative. He can barely stay healthy physically and mentally remains unknown. He might have incredible skills, but he's closer to a 30-40 point player that doesn't play defence. Retaining 50% could return a higher pick, but few teams with the Cap are willing to gamble the $2.25M for dead money.
No he took an actual puck to the head against the Isles this year. Perhaps that injury precedes the wrist.

He's not a 30-40 point player... He had 23 pts in 44 games last year and 20 pts in 32 games this year. His totals for seasons with 70+ games played in MTL are 46 pts in 77 games (playing as the number 1 C) and 53 pts in 81 games. He's closer to a 50-60pt winger than a 30-40pt one. As an expiring contract at 2.25 M he is so, so, so far from negative value. He also is a playoff performer.

It's like we're talking about two different players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad