Post-Game Talk: Rangers 2, Penguins 1 (OT) - The Lovejoy Gives Great Quotes Edition

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Flames are missing their No. 1, No. 5 and No. 7 defensemen. And Mark Giordano would be OUR No. 1 defenseman and third-best player. So I am not sure you guys are serious or joking right now.

Giordano was the clear Norris favorite and possible Hart candidate when he went down.

AND, they don't have anything close to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to bail them out, let alone BOTH like we do.

Excuses are for losers, though, so please keep going.

Two words: shooting. percentage.

They were dominate in regards to puck possession all season, despite "working hard" and (apparently) not making excuses.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
The Flames have 13 players on their roster under the age of 25. Someone needs to tell them that they don't have enough experience to win.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yawn, is there some kind of surprise here? Everyone called rangers in five. I don't see the controversy. The roster and coaching is just not good enough and their regular season reflected that.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Indeed it is, good sir.

Unless, of course, the same people continue to show up as negatives, then you might have something.

or, you know, when you watch an OT goal and you see Ben Lovejoy lost in space and Daniel Winnik and Paul Martin enjoying the show.

Then. Then. Thennnnnnnnnn maybe you can use a stat and your eyes to think "yep, not meaningless"

In any event, having read your posts last night and now today, there's really only one thing to say:

good luck in your future endeavors.

It's a long term stat that, like all stats, need other factors to figure out its relevancy. It's a case by case basis. I certainly wouldn't throw it out, especially with all the minute stats people pore over all the time these days, but one could certainly argue it shouldn't be up there right along side goals, etc. on a player's state line.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If only every Pens skater was shooting above 10%, then they wouldn't need to make excuses!

*even though they aren't*

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's a long term stat that, like all stats, need other factors to figure out its relevancy. It's a case by case basis. I certainly wouldn't throw it out, especially with all the minute stats people pore over all the time these days, but one could certainly argue it shouldn't be up there right along side goals, etc. on a player's state line.

I think, in general, +/- is useless, and I've said that quite often.

I do not, however, think it's a coincidence that Winnik, Lovejoy, and Martin - three of the players you can watch and go 'wow, that's bad' - are among the team "leaders" in negative +/-

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I do not, however, think it's a coincidence that Winnik, Lovejoy, and Martin - three of the players you can watch and go 'wow, that's bad' - are among the team "leaders" in negative +/-

I don't think it's useless if you have good knowledge of the team in question. In this case, first off this is too small a sample size for it to tell anything. It's like when the second round starts and they're touting who has the best PK or PP "of the playoffs." Sample size is too small.

To your point, we can argue that Winnik has sucked just because his plus/minus really is that bad so far. Throw him out now that that's established, then look at everyone else on even terms.

I realize it's a bit of a tough sell on the stat itself, but I'll defend it a little since some seem to take something like Fenwick as an absolute determining factor that shouldn't be criticized.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Then please tell me what exactly the Flames are doing that the Pens aren't.

Gee, how much time do you have?

How about competing like every game will be their last? How about making every single young player on that roster comfortable by playing a consummate team game, where everybody has everybody else's back? How about having a guy like Ferland out there to initiate contact, instigate and create general chaos. How about wearing their opponents down, game by game. How about showing more fight in four games than we've shown all season?

Oh, and how about out-skilling their opponents, too. Their top line hasn't been good, and they're still winning. Sam Bennett has been phenomenal. Michael Ferland has made a huge impact. T.J. Brodie is playing great hockey. Jonas Hiller has been extremely solid in goal. Bob Hartley is coaching a perfect series.

Good God people, there's a whole hockey world out there. Enjoy these playoffs. There's some outstanding hockey being played (elsewhere).

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It is pretty misguided to suggest the Pens should play like the Flames because they happen to be up 3-1 against a mediocre team.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

hey welcome back

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wait, so when the series was tied 1-1 everybody was saying how overrated the Rangers are/were. NOW, oh well we're playing the best team in the NHL.

We need to keep the same narrative here.

:laugh: Are you surprised?

The injuries are an issue and shouldn't be downplayed, but they aren't the only this team is struggling. The roster just isn't that good. The Flames have an identity and are playing to it. The Penguins identity seems to be playing not to lose and hoping they get a few greasy goals.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Stop worrying about what other teams should or shouldn't do. That's a yinzer thing there, crap on someone else because you suck.

BigBenSF*

Indeed it is, good sir.

Unless, of course, the same people continue to show up as negatives, then you might have something.

or, you know, when you watch an OT goal and you see Ben Lovejoy lost in space and Daniel Winnik and Paul Martin enjoying the show.

Then. Then. Thennnnnnnnnn maybe you can use a stat and your eyes to think "yep, not meaningless"

In any event, having read your posts last night and now today, there's really only one thing to say:

good luck in your future endeavors.

Using one play, and then a star that is 70% luck to confirm your beliefs on players is simply naive and leads to bad decisions. I agree about Scuderi - he's a dumpster fire. But both Martin and Winnik have played very well this season (and both have been asked to do more than they should) and shouldn't be run out of town because of one play or even one series.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
:laugh: Are you surprised?

The injuries are an issue and shouldn't be downplayed, but they aren't the only this team is struggling. The roster just isn't that good. The Flames have an identity and are playing to it. The Penguins identity seems to be playing not to lose and hoping they get a few greasy goals.

Not to mention they can skate. I think the point's been labored a lot so people are just forgetting or sick of talking about it, but skating is the game. If you can skate you have a chance. We are at best when healthy an average skating team. You can do a lot of different things with an overall good skating team and coach them to play pretty much whatever system you want. Not the case with our team regardless of top end talent.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Gee, how much time do you have?

How about competing like every game will be their last? How about making every single young player on that roster comfortable by playing a consummate team game, where everybody has everybody else's back? How about having a guy like Ferland out there to initiate contact, instigate and create general chaos. How about wearing their opponents down, game by game. How about showing more fight in four games than we've shown all season?

Oh, and how about out-skilling their opponents, too. Their top line hasn't been good, and they're still winning. Sam Bennett has been phenomenal. Michael Ferland has made a huge impact. T.J. Brodie is playing great hockey. Jonas Hiller has been extremely solid in goal. Bob Hartley is coaching a perfect series.

Good God people, there's a whole hockey world out there. Enjoy these playoffs. There's some outstanding hockey being played (elsewhere).

They are doing all of this against a bad opponent. The Pens are playing a President's Trophy team while missing most of their defence and with one of their stars less than 100%. Two totally different situations.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
three words

quality of shots

and why do you think that is

here ill give you a hint

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bieksa - Sbisa

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Hunwick

honestly guys the flames bandwagon is taking on tons of new company feel free

i guarantee they arent getting past the second round, if they even finish the first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad